Posted: Oct 29th 2011 12:18PM Mystal said

Honestly, LOL is pretty awesome. I think they've done a great job of providing a game that's easy to jump into (it's free, and you can play agains Easy Bots to learn the game and still have a ton of fun), yet deep and addictive enough to keep you coming back. You can literally play the game forever without paying a dime and the only thing you'll ever be unable to obtain are the alternate skins for characters, yet there's plenty of reasons to fork over extra cash.

My only complaint is that at least in the past, I've had some issues with their servers, and of course, because you're on the internet, you always have the chance of being matched with or against internet trolls or e-thugs.

In general though the community seems decent, especially once you get past the noob stage and realize some of the social norms, like who should jungle or take center lane, when it makes sense to "steal" a kill and when to back off, etc.

Posted: Oct 30th 2011 12:24AM ShivanSwordsman said

@Mystal

Indeed, the game is fun, though I find myself attracted to Domination. My biggest grievance with the game is the fact they nerfed IP gain from when I was playing, and that it feels like it takes forever to unlock anything, so much so it turned into a grind, and I ended up quitting. It actually ended up the same with Bloodline Champions, and Lost Saga.

I hate it, I really do. They're all good games, but they're grindy as all get out. I'd probably be playing League of Legends right this second if I could get the IP I get or a first win normally.

Posted: Oct 30th 2011 10:42AM (Unverified) said

@ShivanSwordsman

This is incentive to pay something for the game. Buying characters isn't very expensive.

Posted: Oct 30th 2011 4:09PM ShivanSwordsman said

@(Unverified)

Bullcrap. The characters continue to release for 6300 a piece, with some in the 3000 range, some in the 1600 range, and a few in the 400 range. I can enjoy an INCENTIVE to pay cash, but toning the IP down to FORCE people to pay is malarkey.

Heck, before they nerfed IP gain, I used to play co-op with bots, before it became harder. I hit Level 11, and almost purchased one of their Champions packs. Then I found out about the cap of 6 games per day limiting your PvE gain. I ditched the game till Dominion came out, and lo and behold, tiny IP gain.

The fact of the matter is, IP buying should be for those that want a shortcut and for those that want to play the character much sooner, or on release. The current IP gain isn't even in the 100s for a game of Dominion, it's in the 50s to 60s for a 15+ minute game. Thus, just like Bloodline Champions, I quit, and ended up purchasing games like Dungeon Defenders, which let's me pay a single rate for tons of content.

I don't understand why people don't use the Global Agenda method. If you "buy" the game, you get permanent bonuses to EXP, money, and tokens gained. I'd much rather BUY the game, get some free toons, and be able to play it more like, gasp, a boxed game (think Guild Wars). Sadly, this generation doesn't believe in buying games, they believe more in free games with $10 per character charges.

Posted: Oct 29th 2011 12:43PM Vazzaroth said

I stayed away from LoL for a long time. It's always brought up whenever I hear about "Competitive gaming", which is something I despise. I always though "That just looks like Warcraft 3, which is like 50 years old now. At least they could try to be original with their art direction". I constantly was told the community in all MOBAs is horrible, and I'm someone who had to stop playing Shogun 2 online because of the cheese armies and gloating opponents.

With all that said, I frickin' love League of Legends now. The art style looked so much different in-game and in motion than every screen shot I'd seen. I never intend to play these Ranked games and I love that I can still have a complete game experience. I've also learned that liberal use of the mute button, which is easy to access quickly, will improve your experience greatly.

I also love Dominion. Generally I've been very successful at at. Partially this is because I have no hang ups about dying in multiplayer games that alot of players seem to have. I'm very happy to kamikaze into a group of 4 players if I can kill 2 and delay them long enough for my teammates to cap. And in Dominion that's actually a worthy tradeoff. I also think I benefit from not having any bad habits from default dota style gameplay since I never played it before League of Legends. I constantly see people with 300+ ranked wins play Dominion and just suck. They lane the entire game, don't cap aggressively, run away from fights they could win, or ignore the powerups.

Posted: Oct 29th 2011 12:58PM Knoxrun said

@Vazzaroth Dominion is a lot of fun. I'm currently in the other situation, I'm playing a lot of dominion put when I switch gametypes I get slaughtered. But I agree, being willing to die in Dom is very helpful, only if your teammates would recognize it.

Posted: Oct 29th 2011 12:53PM J45neoboy said

I never really thought about trying the game and I looked over it but now I'm intrigued.

Posted: Oct 29th 2011 2:17PM (Unverified) said

@J45neoboy

I just started playing a few days ago myself and highly recommend it. The beginner 5 vs AI matches I've done so far have been very helpful but definitely do the tutorials as well. The game is definitely addictive and there's much more to it than it first appears. Nunu and Warwick are 2 great starter champs...

Posted: Oct 29th 2011 1:50PM Skyydragonn said

LoL is a great game. While it still has its iissues with "problem" community members, one should awlays use the report player function after a match. proper use of the reporting tool will teach those bad apples that it behooves them to behave apropriately while playing LoL.
As far as the champions go, they are all very well balances, there are always 1 or 2 exceptions to this but Riot has no problem addressing imbalance issues and fixing them promptly.

Posted: Oct 29th 2011 2:54PM Fire Walk With Me said

She voiced Mordekaiser not Moekaiser FYI.

Posted: Oct 29th 2011 8:37PM h4ngedm4n said

@Fire Walk With Me

There actually are deviant art and youtube results for "Moekaiser"!

Posted: Oct 29th 2011 4:38PM Raaqa said

• Half a heart
This game has gone so commercial. People with no interest in mobas are playing it "just because everyone else is" (kind of like how CoD turned out).

Posted: Oct 29th 2011 6:13PM Gaugamela said

@Raaqa

Hipster Raaga plays non-mainstream MOBAs

Posted: Oct 29th 2011 6:31PM Raaqa said

@Gaugamela

You've probably never heard of any of them.

Posted: Oct 29th 2011 11:09PM Resurge said

@Raaqa yea i hear ya, i hate when new folks have a good time in a game. What a bunch of sell outs, making the game all fun and interesting and accessible n stuff. Those bastards! What we need is more elitist games for 1/10th of the amount of people, so we can sit back and feel superior - like god intended.

Posted: Oct 29th 2011 4:39PM Raaqa said

• Half a heart
Maybe I'm just nerdmad that a game got this successful copying Dota, and trying to pass itself off as not being a clone. At least HoN knows it.

Posted: Oct 29th 2011 6:43PM paterah said

@Raaqa The game is a MOBA. It's not a direct rip-off of Dota like HoN though it's still based on it. Many of the people involved in Dota are now working for Riot and I can definitely say that they know what they are doing which is why it's so incredibly popular. It's kinda like WoW was in a sense. It was so good when it launched compared to the other games that it brought in many people who were not interested in MMOs back then. The same goes with LoL and people who don't generally play competitive games.

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 4:01AM JumeprVII said

@Raaqa
A little History for you. I'll let you decide if its so bad that they made this game like a custom modified map in Warcraft 3 and made it conveniently available for everyone.

Steve "Guinsoo" Feak, the previous designer of the popular Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne custom map, DotA Allstars, and Steve "Pendragon" Mescon, the administrator of the former official support base for the map (www.dota-allstars.com), were involved with Riot Games in the development of League Of Legends. Using the original DotA created by Eul (the original Defence of The Ancients map for Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos) as a base, Guinsoo made DotA Allstars by inserting his own mix of content, largely expanding the number of the heroes, and adding recipes, numerous items and various gameplay changes. Guinsoo then passed version 6 of the map on to its current developer, IceFrog.

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 11:17PM Raaqa said

@JumeprVII

I know the history, thanks.

Why do "WoW clones" get all the hate, but it's okay for LoL to be a dota clone?

Posted: Oct 29th 2011 7:08PM wfseg said

I still play ranked Classic. I hope they have co-op ai Dominion, so I can practice before going into normal/ranked dominion.

EVE Evolved: What does Thera mean for EVE?

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 6:00PM