Posted: Oct 29th 2011 2:22PM Irem said

I was looking at these for a long, long time last night. They really do some of the most stunning environmental art I've seen. Usually I don't get my hopes up too much with concept art, but having seen some examples of how beautifully their work translates to the game, well...I'm really looking forward to going exploring.

Posted: Oct 29th 2011 3:09PM Chambers said

The thing about the concept art from guild wars is that is what it is, concept, its never interacted with it just sits in the background you cant explore it, for what its worth it guild wars STILL looks amazing, that castle floating in the background thats chained down is really cool but you can never walk your way up to it sadly.

Posted: Oct 29th 2011 3:48PM Irem said

@Chambers
Yeah, that's one of my biggest problems with getting immersed in GW1. Scale especially is one of those things that didn't translate well. A lot of the houses and buildings in the environments really are just clearly set pieces, since often even when they're big enough that a player character could walk into them, the placement and size of windows and doors on the models make it clear that they're supposed to be much bigger than they actually are. Scale and explorability used to be the things I was most nervous about re: GW2 because of that.

Posted: Oct 29th 2011 3:54PM Seldra said

@Chambers
I agree, hopefully we get to encounter it in GW2 as a dungeon or sorts, or at the very least a hub.

Posted: Oct 29th 2011 5:18PM Utakata said

@Irem

I find the scaling issues with mountains to be particulary problematic...though GW isn't the only MMO with this issue. Mountains are supposed to be enormous in scale and scope and you feel dwarfed to a gnat hanging out on a blue whale in the presence of them. But some of the mountian scapes in GW if you where allowed to walk up to them looks like they would appear as a mere ledge you can easily look over. Perhaps this is limitations to the game technologies used. But it's my hope in GW2 that walking around the Norn zones would feel the equivelent of hiking around Monterrey in Mexico or Vancouver here in Canada in both scale and epicness.

Posted: Oct 30th 2011 12:04AM Yoh said

Yay, more of Kekai's art.
He was a good teacher btw.

Make My MMO: October 19 - 25, 2014