Posted: Oct 28th 2011 4:49PM nimzy said

Don't quote me on this, but I believe skill advancement is time-locked too. You can only do so much in a certain amount of "real time."

Posted: Oct 28th 2011 4:51PM Hipster said

In my opinion, combat needs a total revamp. The lack of meaningful cooldowns in melee means you are basically button-mashing in building up the FSB points or whatever. So lengthening cooldowns, increasing the tick time for the mobs also, and last but not least giving the mobs some kind of AI is what needs to be done to combat. And like the writer said the targeted mob location needs to be clearer.

Crafting and obtaining crafting mats seemed very fun and a good start, only horizontal development needs to happen here.

Posted: Oct 28th 2011 5:16PM Bhagpuss said

I haven't played Dawntide for several months but it seems not much has changed. That piece could have been written this time last year, or indeed the spring before that.

There are some things about Dawntide that I really like, but it's always been a struggle to enjoy them because of the sort of issues you mention. Rubberbanding and lack of synchronisation of your position and your target have been there throughout. Combat is incredibly slow and pedestrian, even when you manage to engage the enemy, which isn't always by any means.

Lots of potential but needs a lot more work to realize it.

Posted: Oct 28th 2011 5:28PM DarthDan said

Despite the lack of polish, it's good to see a new skill-based sandbox on the horizon, indie or no. The lack of character customization, however, is going to be a huge detraction for many players seeking sandbox escapism from the themepark doldrums. Also, the lack of being able to see what you're targeting on combat sounds concerning to me, if that's the purpose of the design and it's not a bug waiting to be addressed.

"I know it's taboo to suggest that gamers read a manual in the age of Twitter and short attention spans, but if you're serious about Dawntide, you'll need to spend a few minutes paging through this stuff if only for the basics" Just so long as EVE-level research isn't required, there's nothing wrong with needing to read up.

Despite what seem like very fair criticisms, my hat still goes off to WIS for keeping the flame alive in concept, if not execution. I may very well slide into beta to give her a look-see myself.

Posted: Oct 28th 2011 7:47PM (Unverified) said

if you like to simply explore dawntide is an expansive world. look hard enough and you find actual cities. You didn't touch on the world building elements, namely territory claiming and creating houses and building which is also very nice. I'd imagine the character creator is simplistic as they intent crafters to provide variety. unfortunately i worry they will again run out of money. it's a shame dawntide almost took me from playing tor :(

Posted: Oct 28th 2011 8:19PM Jef Reahard said

@(Unverified)

Yeah, unfortunately I didn't get to experience that this time around. We'll definitely be revisiting the game multiple times, though, in the interest of covering everything.

Posted: Oct 29th 2011 6:07AM deluxe2000 said

Just wanted to say this was a really well done 'impressions' piece of writing. No strong opinions, just explaining the stuff that matters in MMOs (combat, how it feels to just move around in the world, and crafting basics), that I will probably at least look at their website for more info. Thanks!

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 11:04AM boxlunch said

I feel like the poster above who thought this review could be a year old and still accurate. Progress on the serious issues seems very slow and despite an open beta type situation for months I don't see much improvement in some of the very critical problems.

On character creation -- which is important if this is meant to be an immersive sand box world - I found it even more disappointing than the very limited customization options. The female avatar art is really awful, sorry to have to say it so bluntly. The faces are barely feminized, the bodies near androgynous. And there are no slider controls to affect the face. I am a female gamer who plays females and it matters to me what I look like. Next to the issues like the serious combat problems and the inconsistencies in terrain appearance, I suppose the character appearance rates low. But its all these things that make a polished end product that people want to subscribe to. I'm assuming that despite it being a small indie effort they do actually want a reasonable number of active players besides their die hard testers in there.

Posted: Nov 5th 2011 9:13PM BasmatiJoh said

Hearing the list of professions in Dawntide (taming, thieving, and brewing) really got my interest. I'd love to see a lively crafting system with realistic professions just like the ones above. I'm looking forward to seeing how that develops.

It's disappointing that the character creation is so limited, and I hope it's simply a stand-in for more detailed customization to come.