Posted: Oct 28th 2011 6:24PM mav1234 said

Hey Beau, I've got a Duo.

I love the thing... at times it is sluggish, but the fact I can run actual work apps can be nice at times. The docking station is cool and I basically use it to watch TV on hulu and the like. The extreme versatility is really it's best feature.

I'm curious about what tweaks you found for it - might you be willing to share?

Posted: Oct 28th 2011 9:00PM Beau Hindman said

@mav1234 yeh I plan on writing it up once I get it on Monday or so. Many of them are basic stuff to speed up Win 7, but some are more involved. I'll probably make it a project to help people with similarly specced systems to cope with the limitations.

I didn't get the dock yet, though. I think I probably will. I do a lot of "10 o'clock, grab the laptop" gaming and puttering around from bed, so the dock might nice to have sitting there to put the Duo in.

Beau

Posted: Oct 28th 2011 9:35PM mav1234 said

@Beau Hindman Looking forward to it! Thanks!

Posted: Oct 28th 2011 6:34PM Luluna said

I'm not really a PC gamer but I do play Lotro on a 13.3" Core i3 notebook sometimes because my job requires me to travel a lot. Of course the graphics is nowhere near great but I get my fix of MMO.

Posted: Oct 28th 2011 7:34PM Naihonn said

You know nothing until you play MMOs on Celeron 800MHz with 512MB RAM. :0D Oh yeah, good old Ultima Online, no problem there. But I played even WoW, that toaster comment is so true. :0) Well, but there is a lot of MMOs with only 1GHz processor and 512MB RAM minimum requirements. I know, those rich people will never play on lower resolutions and details, but it was usually absolutely unavoidable for me and it was still good enough. And for offline play, older games are much better anyway, more quality and less gloss.

Posted: Oct 28th 2011 9:01PM Beau Hindman said

@Naihonn Sounds like our first system, paid out the nose for it. Played UP back in '99 on it. lol

Beau

Posted: Oct 28th 2011 9:11PM Gaugamela said

If you get an AMD Fusion netbook like the HP dm1 or Asus 1215B you can even play Crysis 2 on them.
Granted that in minimum detail, resolution and with a 15 fps rate but you can play it. :)

Posted: Oct 28th 2011 9:36PM hami83 said

I have the DM1z HP Paviliton netbook that has that new AMD Fusion processor.
I upgraded to 8GB of Ram for it and it plays WoW fine. I can run Rift on the lowest possible settings, zone effects can be pretty laggy.
It cost me $650 Canadian, so I'm sure you can find it cheaper in the US.

I don't think you're going to find a netbook that runs MMOs well, at least 3D MMOs. Not yet anyways.

I'm hoping, and even begged to them, that Onlive get some MMOs. That's really the only solution for computers under 14 inches. Since cpu companies are focusing on tablets more then netbooks, so their power won't grow as fast as we want to.

Posted: Oct 28th 2011 11:31PM Space Cobra said

You are becoming the "Zen Buddhist" of Tech-devices! ;)

But I gotta admit, I've always been irked at Windows and certain OSes in general, even in the early days. I used to scoff at things like typing a command on the Commodore 64 to launch games when I could plug in a cartridge on the Atari 800 and instantly launch/play a game! ;P

Even know, consoles don't even launch games immediately, but go through a boot-up process. And even when they can, like the portables, they put in company monikers and advertising, like the DS Lite and 3DS.

Actually, I do miss "instant-on" in my play sessions.

Posted: Oct 29th 2011 12:31AM donweel said

This is what I really want but it is only a concept as of yet.

Posted: Oct 29th 2011 10:55AM (Unverified) said

I remember playing the wow beta on my old old old old old old system, couldnt go into any major city without lagging out so bad it nearly crashed, was a 800mhz pentium with 384mb ram lol I upgraded shortly after release heh

Posted: Oct 29th 2011 2:17PM sorbon said

I have one of those Acer Aspires from WalMart. I upgraded the HDD to 500 gbs, other than that it's stock. It's a little older (single core, etc).

It plays City of Heroes like any other computer with an Intel GPU would. The graphics can be funky, a little dark, and wentworth's looks like a fun house. For playing on the road, it does just fine though.

Posted: Oct 30th 2011 2:01AM Lionhearted said

My 2002-era, XP-equipped desktop that collects dust upstairs can still play EQ and WoW if I was really, really desperate, though.

Honestly, it still runs okay for most things, even with its single core CPU and old video graphics processor. The only thing that really hampers it is the fact that it has low RAM (a gig, I think) and the kind of RAM it has is virtually impossible to upgrade.

AMD's Fusion processor line makes me very excited for the future, though. Pretty much the only thing needed to play games like WoW is *some* kind of a video card. You don't need a great one, or a new one, pretty much any will do. The Fusion sort of bypasses that need, by combining the CPU with the GPU, so computers only need one. Saves on battery, too. This should mean a $300 netbook rig with a Fusion processor playing most PC games of today should be very possible in the near future.

I'm sure Intel's got something cooked up, too, and certainly laptops with video cards are getting cheap enough today that you can get one that's capable of gaming at about $500, so all in all, the future is looking bright -- and the present isn't exactly dim.