Posted: Oct 27th 2011 8:15AM Bolongo said

Good question. I have on occasion felt both responses to it. ;) I have at times felt impatient for new content, having exhausted the entertainment value of what's available. At other times, when I have been away from a game for a while, I've felt intimidated by how much catching up I had to do when I came back.

I think both problems might be solved by designing content that isn't so disposable. If the basic content of the game has some sort of replay value, there would be no need to frantically push new stuff out the door. We could get away from the "publish or perish" mentality.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 8:16AM (Unverified) said

I'm for BOTH sides. While I wish WOW would release content on a bit faster timeframe, the fact that RIFT has monthly updates and events does SUCk- I'll tell you why.

By RIFT releasing content every month, including some amazing events, A LOT of players miss out on content that WILL NEVER REAPPEAR if they unsub, even for a few weeks. So, as most will tell you - if you play RIFT on a regular basis, chances are you dont have time to play anything else!

WHich is good if you are craving RIFT. The good thing about WOW is while their content takes longer to release, ALL of WOW's content is PERMENANT and not monthly "special" events that fade away after the alotted timeframe.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 8:38AM Lenn said

@(Unverified) First I thought THIS was just YOUR style or SOMETHING, but now I just THINK you're doing it TO ANNOY people.

Seriously man, just stop it. You could be making good points, but nobody will see them through the veil of capslockicity.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 9:05AM Utakata said

@Lenn

I think he or she might being doing it as a form of emphasis, since we lack any bold or italic feature when posting. Though you don't need to emphasis everything to make good points. And I agree, it gets distracting in the least.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 9:20AM potaco said

@Lenn

Lenn, you've used capitalization for emphasis in the past, too... And when the topic involves comparing WOW and RIFT, it's kind of hard not to have lots of big and little letters mixed together.

I didn't have any problem reading the comment and I find your personal attack of (Unverified) completely inappropriate.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 10:04AM Lenn said

@potaco Do me a favour and go through Unverified's post history.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 10:55AM potaco said

@Lenn

And? It shows capitalization for emphasis and acronyms... What's the issue?

TyPiNg LiKe ThIs WoUlD bE pUrPoSeLy AnNoYiNg!!!!!11

Typing this THIS is not.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 10:56AM potaco said

@potaco

Not sure why there still isn't an edit function.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 4:04PM Utakata said

@potaco

It's funny when I pointed this very same issues that you where doing to me in another thread, you where evasive about it as slippery eel in room full of warm mucous. If you want peeps to respond appropriately to posts then you have to simply practise it yourself.

As for this issue, no where did Lenn or I attack the content of (Unverified) or him/herself based on his/her execution. We simply just implored that upper case emphasizing makes it arduous and difficult to read, perhaps losing the message he or she wants to put fourth. Thus this was not a case of tone trolling as you are indicating. But thanks to you however, this thread has gone completely off the rails in regards to the topic. Perhaps the best thing for you was to post was nothing at all about it.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 4:18PM LucentWolf said

@(Unverified)

That's how the real world works though, buddy. Life goes on, if you're there or not. I missed an awesome event in California because it's on the other side of the U.S from me. It didn't stop just because I wasn't there.

Same thing should apply with a persistent game world. Events transpire, whether you're there or not. Either you're there and you experience it for yourself, or you're not and you hear about it from word of mouth. Just my opinion!

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 8:33AM Dumac said

I want tweaks, bug fixes and balance adjustments and that sort of stuff to come as often as possible, but i don't count that as "content". Actual playable content i prefer in bigger chunks and i don't mind waiting for that. Naturally i want that as soon as possible too but time is a tradeoff and i understand. I want that feeling of a heap of new stuff to explore not feeling i need to rush to keep up, instead of bite sized stuff dictating the pacing. Also if a game can't keep you entertained for two months without an update it's got bigger problems.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 8:41AM MMOaddict said

Both sides. Trion is proving it can be done. Quality and celerity. Of course, their server side technology is a large boon in this department, but oh well, it works. Time for other developers to use the same tech. Especially you, Blizzard.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 8:50AM Malagarr said

I'm in favor of something in between. WoW's updates are far too spread out, to the point where when they do come out they never live up to expectations (that is, six to nine months for one update should result in a lot more than what we are given with those updates). On the other hand, Rifts' monthly updates seem haphazard, often just involve minor tweeks to Rift drops and feel a little shallow.

I'm thinking an ideal update would be roughly the amount of content we see with each WoW content patch but at a pace of three months between each patch.

Just my two coppers.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 8:55AM Scarecrowe said

I've been amazed at the quality of the content Trion is pushing out. I only wish that my next MMO (TOR) would be able to keep up. That's just not going to be possible unless they keep that voice-over crew on full-time staff though!

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 8:56AM Kodabey said

I absolutely prefer quantity over quality. There is nothing worse than having to sit in a well polished, overtuned game (Wow) for months and months waiting for some small snippet of content that you can consume in about 20 minutes. I would rather be kept busy with constant and new content even if 80% of it had bugs. A great example of this is the modding community for Oblivion. That game has been massively popular because of the mods, many of which are not "polished" but omg are they fun! There are many other examples like Warcraft III and minecraft...tons of content, not necessarily polished but fun as heck! I think Blizzard has the wrong idea completely and Trion is the brilliant company.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 8:56AM Utakata said

Quality content at a reasonable pace should be the optimal. That is neither too long or too short but always good. So 2 to 4 months cycle would likely be ideal.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 9:24AM real65rcncom said

@Utakata

agree. a lot of times the two month cycles of stuff isn't even worth doing because it's so light. I remember reading that the average person goes through content in about four months which seems reasonable to me (quarterly cycles)

As small and light as the two months ones are, I find they aren't even worth it most times. Usually one good feature and two or three things that aren't worth much overall and usually spend half that month debugging it anyways.

never understood why small content updates could be so buggy; maybe because they rush it out so fast every 40 days or so.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 8:57AM Cyclone Jack said

While I think Rift is putting out content a little too fast, and letting bugs creep in because of it, Blizzard's snail pace is much, much too slow. In the past, I have always liked how Cryptic, now Paragon, released big content chunks every few months. Granted, not all updates were great, and some were obviously better than others, but they've pushed CoX way beyond its original boundaries, and have pushed the capabilities of the genre forward. Even more impressive is that their staff was less than 15? people for a few years. How many people does Blizzard have? I was also impressed with Arenanet's ability to release an entire game in a year, adding new classes and abilities, and still able to have some of the most balanced PvP in the genre, while having no sub model.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 9:05AM cald said

I'm going to echo the previous posters, but I think you're doing the subject a disservice without talking about the systems as well. WoW is completely gear based progression, with faction treadmills that have no bearing whatsoever on the next bit of content to be released. As a result there is no focus on actually spending time in-game aside from gearing up, running the treadmill and then....what? Stand around in Ironforge and Stormwind spamming chat. Blizzard is never going to change this, it goes against their whole idea of accessibility, but it doesn't increase the depth of the game. So instead they labor to produce content that players will blow through in 1-2 months.

Maybe this is good business sense. Maybe they make their money on the dollars people pay for subs and don't log in, because it's too much hassle.

Alternatively, even Everquest 1 had a system that rewarded game play beyond gear. Sure, AA got a bit out of control, but there was a reason to play through content regardless of gear because you got something out of doing so that benefited the character (and not just your faction with your group and guild). EQ2 does the same thing, as does Rift. LOTRO has a huge deed system with in-game rewards for spending time on the content they've produced, no matter the age.

I'm not talking achievements, those are throwaway sparklies.

I've never left an MMO because there was too much content. I may have left because it was of poor quality, or I grew bored, or RL intervened, but never because there was just too much to do.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 10:27AM DarkWalker said

@cald
Sincerely, I think rewarding everything with character power is one of the biggest pitfalls a MMO can do. Power inflation almost always break the underlying combat systems, makes for silly stats, and are a huge disincentive for new players, specially in PvP.

I, myself, tend to avoid MMOs where it seems like it would simply take too long for me to get to a competitive level regarding already established players. If it looks like I would need to spend more than a couple months to catch up with already established players from a pure character power perspective, even for a narrowly defined play style, I will often avoid the game. I don't play games to feel like the underdog.