Posted: Oct 27th 2011 2:36PM Space Cobra said

I would *kill* for some goofy, over-the-top Mount /emotes that may get me run out of the LotRO game.

Things like, your Horse sitting up and playing cards with you!

But, expect all we will get is stuff like "trot". Maybe a nice four-legged horse bow (ala "Trigger" old mention of an old Horse of Roy Rogers). :p

Heck, give me a Horse that can sit on a rock and pull of Rodin's "Thinker" and well....Panda players would be the *least* of your worries! ;P :D

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 2:39PM dudes said

Goats with emotes! GOATS WITH EMOTES!

Ok, I got over it now.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 2:44PM jimr9999us said

Horse emotes, very cool. But another store only?

Every time I think of returning to Middle Earth I am reminded why I left. It's a shame subscribers have to pay more for content other sub games have all-inclusive.

Kinda like having a pay toilet in the house you pay rent for :)

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 3:00PM aurickle said

@jimr9999us
Remember that "store only" in LotRO does not mean "cash only". Doing things in-game earns points and you can spend those points in the store. So this is not like Blizzard's guardian mount, for example. Or EQ2's cash shop items.

For my part, this is EXACTLY the kind of thing that I like seeing as a store only item. It's total fluff with zero impact on game play. I would be much happier if the store consisted solely of purely cosmetic items like this rather than stat boosts, XP boosts, super healing potions and the like.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 3:06PM Lenn said

@jimr9999us You could spend the points you get monthly on stuff like this.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 3:14PM jimr9999us said

@aurickle

Agreed Aur...I s'pose I'm still living in a fantasy world of my own making where subscribers wouldn't be subjected to the cash shop at all :)

At the end of my stay, raiding Lt, I was spending $30/ month on LotRO and feeling like my affection for the game was being taken advantage of by the new ownership. Meanwhile, the unfinished Isengard content is still being worked on but the horse emotes are all polished up and ready to buy. Life goes on.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 3:19PM Nibbana said

/shat

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 4:48PM kickman77 said

@Nibbana

almost spit soda at my screen for that. Thanks for the laughs :)

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 3:26PM Seffrid said

This will appeal to the jumpers.

Still, if it raises some extra cash for the development of the game...

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 5:39PM Deadalon said

And maybe reins ? about freaking time if thats the case

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 10:13PM (Unverified) said

"We can't fix bugs in a timely fashion, we don't know how to properly secure a database, but - Hey, we have lots of time to put emotes together to sell in the store!!!". WTG, Turbine. Foot meet gun.

Posted: Oct 30th 2011 11:18AM aurickle said

@(Unverified)
In all fairness:

1) Bug fixing is a programming task. Emotes are almost entirely an art task. Two totally different teams involved. I guarantee that if you try putting the art team to work fixing bugs the result will be a LOT more new bugs than get fixed!

2) I assume you're talking about the forum business that recently happened? Again, a totally different team involved. In fact, the website team is going to be different from any of the game teams (including programmers). Web code and databases are programmed using totally different languages from game code.

I would love to see more actual content coming out. After all, we're now over a year since the switch to freemium, yet the pace of content updates is still slower than what we had prior to Mines of Moria and significantly slower than DDO. But it's not fair to compare apples to oranges when bashing Turbine as you just did in your post.

Posted: Oct 30th 2011 2:20PM (Unverified) said

@aurickle

1. Emotes involve programming as well as it involves animation of the character itself. The art team takes care of...art.

2. Engineers are engineers, whether they work on the game servers or the forum servers.

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 12:17AM aurickle said

@(Unverified)
Regarding point 1: The programmers had to provide the handlers for players to be able to trigger an animation on an asset that previously did not have that access for. That's all they had to do for this. Creating the animations themselves was the role of the art team. Once the programmers were done with their aspect, they were DONE. However, the role of the art team continues with each and every new mount emote that they come up with. If you believe that animating a rig is done by the team that programs the core game, you're mistaken. It is done by the art team.

Regarding point 2: That is like saying, "Translators are translators" and blaming the people who make French translations for errors made by the Chinese translators. The game programmers work with C and C++. The webmasters work with PHP. I assure you that the people who make the emotes and implement them in the code so that players can trigger them are not the same people who administer the forums or forum servers.

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 3:26PM (Unverified) said

@aurickle
Ok, lets look at it from a monetary standpoint. Turbine is putting WAY too much of its budget, resources and and even emphasis into the store, and not enough into the game itself. Having a horse that can rear up is of no use when the game itself is broken in so many places. But, it seems that Turbine would rather have the "quick cash" from store buyers than the long term income from subscribers and VIP's. The #1 rule of business is to focus on the 20% of the customers that account for 80% of your income, and I don't think fly-by-night F2P players fall into that category.

Posted: Nov 7th 2011 11:00AM Stickypurplecat said

@(Unverified) Funny you should mention that beloved 80/20 ratio. You're making a lot of assumptions here. Do you actually know how much of their budget and resources are placed in developing the store and its contents? Why do you assume that subscribers don't purchase TP but that Free-to-play folks do? How can you be sure that store purchases aren't trumping their revenue from subscribers right now?

For all we know it takes a couple hours to skin a new horse, plop it in the store and profit, and having multiple streams of revenue is important. Development of brand new content takes extensive planning, engineering, artistic effort and rigorous testing, so it's quite possible that that the Pareto principle is indeed at work here in that they're focusing on "easy wins" instead of the 80% of effort for that 20% of financial gain.

My anecdotal experience from talking to players is that free-to-play folks prefer to grind deeds to earn Turbine Points because they're not willing or able to pay for the game, while subscribers feel they're already invested in the game and are willing to pay extra to supplement the content they receive because they have the income to do so but not necessarily the time to grind for points. The free 500TP provided is a nice incentive as well because store-exclusive content is updated so regularly and is kept for such a brief amount of time that psychologically players think, "I only need X more points to get what I want" so they'd rather shell out for it now than to wait another month and risk not being able to make their purchase at all. I have no idea whether this translates to profitability for Turbine in a manner that makes it worth placing so much emphasis on the LotRO store, but given their actions so far we can probably assume so.

I'm also curious about your claims that the game "is broken in so many places," but I'm not gonna bother asking because bugs are inevitable and you're already convinced they're dumping all their effort into the wrong basket of eggs. It's clear you've passed judgement on the way they handle their business, but for someone who claims that Turbine's not looking at the long term you seem pretty short-sighted.

Posted: Nov 7th 2011 11:29AM (Unverified) said

@Stickypurplecat
Where to start. PvP, housing, hobbies, the Pit of Iron, skirmish bugs (Battle of the 21st hall comes to mind), instance bugs (Draigoch comes to mind), forums (have had major issues since they re-launched them), pet pathing issues (and they want to add cosmetic pets?), exploits that never get fixed. This is just a very short list. Given time, I could come up with pages full of issues. Turbine's seemingly lack of desire to do anything with the aforementioned, and the fact that they keep coming out with trivial, "store related" crap tells me that they care more about the store than they do the game itself. LOTRO was a good game, but started falling apart after Seige of Mirkwood, and REALLY started going downhill after it went F2P. Don't get me wrong, I love LOTRO, I just hate what Turbine is doing to it.

Posted: Oct 28th 2011 5:16AM low said

It is rather funny how they manage to avoid fixing what is maybe the worst game UI or try to bring all their players together who are now scattered in 100 different zones (thus playing ALONE). Can you please do something useful for a change? Not just trying to rob me through a cash shop?

Betawatch: August 23 - 29, 2014