Posted: Oct 27th 2011 6:31PM Graill440 said

Not so much they do not work in the west as a couple put it but instead it shows the state of the world economy.

The lies these companies perpetuate in giving false reports to reporters and releasing fraudulant spin to the public in an attemtp to garner what i call "curious funds" by stating their company is fine or projected sales will be this, or we have X amount of subscribers.

The results and reality speak for themselves. Many companies releasing bogus information to the media that happily prints has always been a problem, and employees pay for it, not the ceo or team leads until much later.

Instead of lying about subscription numbers, and the state of their products in regards to fudged sales figures, these companies need to state long before they start laying people off, more than a year out, to give fired employees time to find new jobs. And these companies DO know how much trouble they are in years before it happens so the excuse of "wow we did not see the economy happen" is no excuse.

Posted: Nov 7th 2011 4:55AM UnSub said

@Graill440 NCsoft publish quarterly financial results, so you can get a pretty clear view of how things are travelling.

What's been clear for a while is that NCsoft is having better results in their home market of South Korea than they've had in the West. Lineage saw its western servers shut down not too long ago, while there hasn't been any growth in their other titles. And now CoH/V and Lineage 2 have gone / are going F2P, which is a grab at customer acquisition.

It does potentially suggest less localisation in future for Western markets, which would be sad given NCsoft's Korean project list. Some of them look to be interesting games.

Also, as best I can tell (and you didn't mention it, so it's a general comment) Richard Garriott's payment was settled months ago (unless there was some recent news on it that I've missed). Blaming Lord British directly for these layoffs is drawing a long bow.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 8:24PM Vandal said

I don't think it a coincidence this occurred shortly after the courts told NCSoft that they did have to pay Garriott the money they contracted to give him along with his court expenses.

Gamers get the pieces of garbage that was Tabula Rasa and a bunch of people lose their jobs. Oh yeah and Garriot walks away with millions for playing spaceman while on the job.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 9:58PM antelope said

Lord British is laughing all the way to the bank.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 10:24PM (Unverified) said

Time to cancel my sort of new CoH account.

Posted: Oct 28th 2011 1:31AM jimr9999us said

Bad karma's gonna come and get ya...what nc soft did to TR...the entirety should go down in flames. Let Trion pick up GW2.

Posted: Oct 28th 2011 2:40AM (Unverified) said

Oh look another publisher laying off Americans.

Posted: Oct 28th 2011 12:21PM Rhodanum said

I don't know if anyone is checking out this thread any longer, but an ArenaNet official has stated that no one was laid off there. You can find the post in question here: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/layoffs-hit-ncsofts-north-american-t23349.html?p=967182#post967182

Posted: Oct 29th 2011 12:20AM Eryxx said

I'm sorry that NaziSoft took their wrath out on their American employees, but I'm still THRILLED that Lord (and General) British took their @#$ to the cleaners in court.
I'll never forgive NaziSoft for killing Tabula Rasa without giving it a fair chance, or even considering making it a F2P title, like, oh, I don't know, ALL of their Guild Wars campaigns??
That whole damn company can rot in hell for all I care, I will dance on their grave if they ever shutter their offices, a pox upon them! Plague and pestilence I bid you, NaziSoft! Your just "rewards" are the wage of your actions, enjoy them.

Posted: Nov 1st 2011 2:46AM SithGerbil said

While I do not work for NCSoft and I cannot speak with any authority on what sort of cuts were made, I do work for the industry. Publishing is NOT development. Developers are the ones who design, code and test the game. Publishing is more concerned with operations, customer support, localization and perhaps even marketing. While this move may not affect the development of GW2 or any other NCSoft title, it may affect their service levels in terms of how fast tickets are solved or how reliable servers are. But then again, it may not.