Posted: Oct 27th 2011 1:21PM potaco said

• 1 heart
Wow, this is unbelievable. Eligium has officially jumped the shark. You can expect their playerbase to diminish to nothing thanks to this childish addition to an otherwise completely serious game.

Just kidding... Though I know it won't, hopefully this will calm the haters down a little. If two companies focused on profits decide to introduce the same race, it's probably a safe bet that there was some market research done to be sure that it will reach a certain level of success.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 10:25PM Utakata said

@potaco

...there's tone trolling...then there's just plain trolling.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 2:06PM Paradigm68 said

Thank god I have a choice for my panda-monk mmo gaming! My cup runneth over.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 2:11PM (Unverified) said

Somehow I now get the urge to promote this game, MUWAHAHAHA!

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 2:58PM (Unverified) said

lol Japan came up with the kung fu panda ages ago, way before bliz...

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 3:21PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

Holy crap I remember renting this at Blockbuster!

... yeah, I'm that old. What's it to ya, eh? :D

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 3:38PM (Unverified) said

"Oh Blizzard, did you think you were the only company looking at kung-fu pandas for inspiration? Sorry to tell you, but panda fever is sweeping the globe, and Frogster's upcoming Eligium is going to cash in on that craze like nobody's business."

It seems to me that the author of this article is fishing for comments by inciting, yet again, the divided emotions that World of Warcraft produces among the gamers of this site. Really, would this topic even be newsworthy if it wasn't tailing the big announcements of Blizzcon? Would it be newsworthy if it was tailing the announcement that Random MMO #38572 was creating a panda race? I have my doubts. Clearly, most commenters have nothing to do besides argue about the Mists of Pandaria, and this article seems to be just fanning the flames. Weren't there a series of bannings not long ago because people couldn't remain civil in their remarks? I say, the sooner that the Massively community gets through the storm generated by the Mists of Pandaria, the better. But what can I say? I just want people to get along. >.<
/endcarebear

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 5:35PM potaco said

@(Unverified)

Yep, totally agree. I know that WoW Insider is Massively's sister site and covers the majority of the pro-WoW news... but it seems like some of the staff here thinks that means that they have to be extra anti-WoW in their articles. Unfortunately, due to the way companies work, most of these news sites end up catering to certain demographics and it becomes harder and harder to find truly unbiased articles.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 3:51PM shirtntie said

Someone mentioned a Kung Fu Panda ripoff, well I think they were talking about "Drop Kick Panda". I ran into it on Netflix and the description said it was about a martial arts panda that must defend his town from a tiger. Lol exactly like Jack Blacks movie.

Regardless if all of this is on purpose or just a coincidence it's LOOKs incredibly bad. And in end if weren't the first one to announce you better be the best one at it cause otherwise you're just a ripoff. And I have to say, as silly as those kung fu panda movies are they do deliver in style, comedy and action. It's hard competition.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 4:37PM Seldra said

Haha that's pretty funny, what a coincidence.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 4:54PM Utakata said

/loves Justin...

...just sayin'. :)

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 5:03PM Gaugamela said

My main grip with the Kung-Fu pandas is that Blizzard could have gone in a completely different direction even if they introduced the Pandas.
It was an ill-conceived idea overall. My main gripes:
1 - They changed the inspiration for the Pandaren. The initial art that Samwise Gamgee had of Pandarens was with a clear japanese inspiration. They could have deepened that inspiration to distinguish the Pandaren from kung-Fu Panda. A Samurai Panda would be more interesting.

2 - Pandaria shouldn't be a whole continent and have an expansion devoted to it. It should be a smaller island, with maybe a starter area and a 10-20 area and maybe a max level area.

3 - Expanding on the previous point: the focus of this expansion should be on the Nether or the Emerald Nightmare. It would even make sense to relate the Pandaren with it.

But anyway, haters gonna hate (including me) but WoW will still sustain a sizable population and after the drama dies down people will buy the expansion in droves. I just gave up of WoW in terms of lore.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 5:31PM Elikal said

*yells* TIN FOIL HATS, SELLING CHEAP AND WORKING TIN FOIL HATS...

JUST 10 DOLLARS FOR EACH! BUY 2 FOR 16 DOLLAR FOR YOU AND YOUR BELOVED!

TIN FOIL HATS, CHEAP AND NEW...

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 6:40PM Graill440 said

These foreigners are some busy little folks, aint they? Grin.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 6:56PM Barinthos said

And here I was holding the posters on Massively to a higher standard than the trolls and rabid haters on MMO Champ. That was stupid.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 8:11PM Kodabey said

This really makes me want to quit MMOs completely...yes, you can have my stuff.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 8:21PM Vandal said

The real question is which company is going to be the first to hire Jack Black to do the VO work?

Posted: Oct 28th 2011 8:40AM potaco said

...and then there's obvious sarcasm. Especially when qualified with that second paragraph that starts with "Just kidding..."

Please stop personally attacking me by constantly accusing me of "trolling" every time I post.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 10:27PM Sabi said

Old news is old.

Pandaren predate Kung Fu panda,
Eligium, it;s always been known that panda were going to be playable they even showed it at gamecom. Of course since it's not sucking off rift massively is clueless

Gee that kung fu panda ban-wagon sure it getting full good thing you guys jumped on it when you did.