Posted: Oct 26th 2011 3:17PM (Unverified) said

Just like EQ1, Anarchy Online, Ultima, Runescape, etc.... DAOC needs a graphical AND UI overhaul. They keep spending all this time and money on patches and expansions and all it does is bring in a few thousand parttime players, instead of the 10s of thousands or more they could with teh aforementioned.

However, DAOC has a great chance of making a comeback if they spent all this time on DAOC#2, instead of this dying game version.

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 3:35PM rotcafnogaw said

@(Unverified) i agree but i wouldnt say its "dying", its just not growing. from what ive seen, the population has been healthy for the past several years. YES it could use more players. but at this point, its just not gonna happen. i would love to see a daoc2 and i think it would be wildly popular if they updated it/made it very similar to old daoc. theres ALOT that could be done with the DAOC name and honestly, i dont think mythic/ea/bioware/whoever really knows what to do with it. i honestly think there will be a daoc 2 but it could be years and years before it ever happens.

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 3:37PM rotcafnogaw said

@rotcafnogaw i dunno how many people are familiar with the f2p Uthgard server but if mythiceabiowaremashup made an "official" f2p preShrouded Isles with new controls and a new ui.... it would be HUGE. i wouldnt mind paying a few bucks to "unlock" classes. like i said, there are sooo many things that could be done with daoc, i just dont think they really know what direction to take it. all that said, this new update looks very interesting and im seriously concidering resubbing to check it out. i miss my minstrel, cabalist, necro, heretic, bonedancer :P

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 3:58PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

From a business standpoint, it makes more sense for them to continue DAOC. We can assume it is still generating enough money to be profitable, otherwise they would have shut it down already.

Creating a new game takes 10s of millions of dollars with no revenue stream during the creation process.

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 4:42PM Saker said

@rotcafnogaw Didn't know about this Uthgard server! Thanks for head-up, sounds good I'm looking into it now!

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 3:38PM jeremy2020 said

Sign me up for DAOC2. It's a shame they let the wrong people have control on Warhammer.

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 3:43PM Saker said

O would love to see a (good) DAoCII !

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 3:50PM Resurge said

10 years later and still ignoring shadowblades, lol. Almost every other class got some sort of buff/rebalance. I remember why i left now. :p Seriously, the class has needed help since the LA nerf 8 years ago, but Mythic likes to pretend stealthers don't exist.

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 4:05PM J45neoboy said

The only reason why I won't try this game is the graphics...I know... stupid reason

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 4:14PM rotcafnogaw said

@J45neoboy the graphics got a huge update a few years ago. alot of massively daoc screen shots were before the graphics update ... why? i have no idea. the screen shot above doesnt at all do the game justice. id say the controls are much more of an issue than the graphics. and maybe the UI, but i played for years so the UI isnt "that" big of a deal for me. i just hate the way strafing works. you can only "run" straight. you cant hold A and W to "run" diagonal. it makes you do a slow strafe walk.

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 5:08PM MMOaddict said

Just play a caster in this game and you will see why it needs to be made "modern". What a nightmare. I have to kite mobs around to win a battle? Regular mobs mind you. Also, no casting bar to let me know when a spell is done casting, every long cast gets interrupted no matter what. No buffs on the target's UI window to see if it's worn off or not, and vice versa....this may seem small to some but to me, it speaks volumes and is THE main reason the game doesn't have massive subscriber numbers.

The game has a ton of depth it's a shame it's hidden under these archaic UI/controls and ancient ways of doing things in the genre. DAOC 2 is almost a necessary evil now and needs to come out asap. Same with games like Asheron's Call, Ultima Online and Anarchy Online, they all suffer from the same ancient/archaic UI/control styles that permeate the "old" games.

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 7:07PM Beau Hindman said

I still absolutely love how DAoC looks. But I am definitely going back and trying this new newbie experience. I enjoyed the old one several times!

Awesome.

Beau

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 9:08PM Beau Hindman said

@Beau Hindman Well, I cannot seem to get it to work. Does anyone know why, after this patch, a brand new download would be getting "patch error"?

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the patcher, but there's no content yet that has been downloaded. Any ideas?

Beau

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 9:39AM zugu said

The UI is atrocious, if you're a new player you'll find it unbearable. Avoid.

Posted: Oct 30th 2011 9:10AM Kaldor said

Sounds like a bunch of whiney kids in here... I played DAOC for 9 years. 3 realms game, great PvP, but not noob friendly.

PvP: still the best PvP game out there. Open field is where its at. And you can play it however you want, solo, duo, small man, 8 man, zerg, whatever.

Casters: At low levels they are tough to play. DAOC uses a true interrupt system, not a cheesy mash the button until the spell goes off. You need to learn to CC, extend, and use the game mechanics. Casters are glass cannons, not tanks. Last I checked casters do pretty well in PvP which is what DAOC is about.

Shadowblades: and stealthers in general. I dunno what you are thinking, but stealthers are some of the most powerful classes in the game in the right players hands. BTW, 2h PA on SB is ridiculous. The new poisons are pretty nasty as well.

Graphics are dated. You get used to it. When PvP at a keep take or relic raid is 100 on 100, I dont want great graphics honestly. I want simple, clean graphics, so I can play, not watch my system lag.

Stock UI is horribad. But you can download plenty of skins for the UI that make things look and function much better.

If you want good current info, and can get past all the e-peen measuring, and whiners, VN Boards is still the place to go for DAOC info.

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM