Posted: Oct 26th 2011 7:40PM J45neoboy said

Runescape, oh how I despise the grind. The only thing I really could say I loved about the game was the lore(the grind to get to one quest was horrible but I had fun doing the quests), Player Housing and the people.

Was in love with that game for 3 years, and I'm happy to see it still surviving. The bots weren't that big when I played at all, so it's about time JAgex is doing something.

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 8:04PM Sorithal said

Runescape was great back in the day. So many memories from it ._. Now I personally can't stand how much grinding it requires (and how you kind of get overwhelmed with stuff to do as a member).

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 8:05PM Sorithal said

@Sorithal

Good to see Jagex is being serious though about the bots and such. Hopefully other MMO companies grow to be more aggressive like this.

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 8:25PM PhelimReagh said

Just as a note, as of 2 days in, this "nuke" seems to be working. RS lists the number of players online at any one time. This number was always around 200,000 at prime time.

Right now, prime time, it's 80,000, and hasn't hit 100,000 since the nuke.

Goes to show how widespread the problem was, and how much revenue Jagex is preparing to turn it's back on (about $5-10 million per year) if the fix is successful.

However, I don't think the bot-makers are willing to turn their back on 100K customers paying $10-30 or so each for the bot software. Market forces dictate that they'll figure out a way around the hurdles Jagex have thrown up.

Here's hoping the fix was a good un.

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 9:14PM Ehra said

I played Runescape once way back. The first thing I did was explore and mine up a bunch of copper or something and made myself a full set of armor, which I was pretty proud of. Then I did more exploring and came to a tower somewhere, got attacked by a mage or something and died. Respawned and found out I had lost most of the armor I had made for myself.

That was when I realized the game wasn't quite for me, but in my short time playing I could really see that there was a lot to like. It had a depth and immersion that I think a lot of recent MMOs could take notes on.

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 10:03PM n3wu53r said

@Ehra Yeah. You could have still run out there and get if another player had not looted it. They now have a grave system so other players can't loot for a fair amount of time.

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 9:31PM mael said

So basically this game has corpse runs like in the old everquest days , hmm i may have to try this then .

With all the popular browser games being played now RS might just get on track more than ever now .

wish i could let go of anarchyonline for some time .

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 9:37PM JohnD212 said

Does the game run at 1920x1080 resolution? I don't try these older games because I always suspect I'll be looking at some blurry mess that is stretched out across my screen. ANyone know?

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 9:53PM (Unverified) said

@JohnD212 It does. It has options for almost every resolution, and can be played fullscreen if your a members.

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 10:02PM n3wu53r said

@JohnD212 It can only run on fully 1920x1080 res if you run it fullscreen which is a sub only feature (ftp in this game has no cash shop and is supported by ads in the browser, if your ftp you only get 20-30% of game content and very rarely receive updates besides the holiday events.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 2:38AM Renko said

Runescape was the first MMO I played, back in the days when scamming was allowed, it's probably the reason I've never fallen for a scam in any MMO I've played since, as I came across them all in those early days. I still return to it from time to time to check out the updates.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 5:45AM Bottleskup said

I no longer play RS, however I have a few...e-friends, i guess...who do, and I am always in an IRC channel with them.

I personally am more interested in (if this has actually worked in the long term) how much the market is going to be affected. Those bots in your screenshot are likely supplying a majority percentage of rune essence and pure essence, across all servers. Will be interesting to see how the economy is shaken up by their departure, as an ex-runecrafter (it is genuinely the best skill in the game bar slayer imo) I for one know I would NOT like to have to farm p-ess myself, considering you are going through ~20k a day if youre as sad as I was.

Someone will have to step up and fill in the positions, and it may be quite profitable for them.