Posted: Oct 26th 2011 10:02AM AceSteveC said

Going Rogue has been overshadowed to a degree in the latest change, which allows you to start as any of the main 10 ATs as either hero or villain.

Still to me the ability to change sides later is essential, particularly for some of the old characters I still have on the red side that I don't get to play so much because of that. Going Rogue was always about completeness and realism, allowing redemption, fall from grace and shades of grey in-between. Each of my characters has almost the entire 1023 characters of description used for the origin that helps get me motivated to play that character, that adds dimension to it. Having changed sides or intending to change sides also adds character to my character, assisting in getting me in character and thus motivated to play.

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 10:39AM lmollea said

I just change a "quarter" of alignment (my heroes are all vigilantes, my villains are all rogues) just so that I can play content on both sides :)

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 10:55AM stealthrider said

• 1 heart
Honestly, CoV was a pretty pathetic excuse for a "villain" game. DCUO did the villain thing much better, making you actually *feel* like you were playing for the bad side from the very beginning.

That's why Going Rogue only reaffirmed my desire to never step foot in Paragon again. Not only had the devs (I'm looking at you, Castle) brutally torture PvP and PvPers by implementing phenomenally stupid changes--most of which were in direct opposition to what the steadily dwindling population wanted--and outright kill PvP with the infamous Issue 13 "balance" patch, but with Going Rogue (or should I say, Going Rouge) they basically admitted that their "factions" were jokes. Villains and Heroes were never on opposite sides; they rarely even met, and those few times it was hardly to do more than PvE (but god forbid PvP ever spilled over into PvE zones! It would be the travesty to end all travesties! The world would end right then and there! HOW DARE THEY PRESUME TO PERFORM THEIR POINTLESS DUELS IN MY PVE ZONE! KILL THEM! KILL THEM ALL!) to get those damned Shivans and Nukes, which of course ruined PvE balance.

I still can't believe they actually let players have the Incarnate trait, after years of insisting they would never. Then again, they also insisted power customization was impossible and that changing sides was even less likely. Why do they even call it City of Heroes, still? There're no sides. There's no good or evil, just Statesman and Arachnos. Oh, and the Worst Plot Device Ever, Nemesis.

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 10:59AM stealthrider said

• 1 heart
@stealthrider

Oh, and just 'cause it pissed me off then, I have to know:

Is Energy Aura still the joke of a powerset it was? Did they ever implement the changes people begged for, or is the powerset still useless?

Wait, I already know the answer. They removed Energy Aura and replaced it with a much less retarded design.

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 12:40PM Gryphmon said

@stealthrider

"Paragon(Cryptic) Studios. They're easily the worst developers out there. How CoH is still standing while other games with far better developers have died is beyond me."

Because people didn't play those games enoough while they still do play and enjoy City of Heroes/Villains?

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 1:43PM (Unverified) said

@stealthrider

They've buffed Energy Aura a couple times. It's actually pretty good now.

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 8:18PM JuliusSeizure said

@stealthrider

Maybe the stuff they implemented that they said they never would are due to, oh, I don't know, the people saying 'no' all left? No hypocrisy then, just different vision.

For the better.

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 11:15PM stealthrider said

@JuliusSeizure

if Castle is still there and in charge of Powers, it's hardly better.

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 11:58PM (Unverified) said

@stealthrider

Yea ... he left for almost a year ago.

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 12:23PM StClair said

Like you, I don't do a lot of side-switching. A few of my characters got shifted to rogues or vigilantes, more for story reasons and characterization than mechanics or being able to run other-side content; but for most of them, that was years ago and/or shortly after creation. I do have one who slid to vigilante but is now fully hero again. The rest simply re-affirm their respective alignments whenever I feel like running tips with them.

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 4:57PM El Furioso said

Hmm, this is definitely an interesting take, Elliot, but I think your comparison of "not swapping alignments" vs. "swapping regularly" is a bit odd. I don't know anyone -- and I'm part of probably the biggest, most active cross-server group in the game -- that constantly flits back and forth across alignments on a single character, mainly due to the reason you bring up that there's *zero* reward for it. This isn't apples vs. oranges. It's apples vs. broken dishwashers.

The more apt comparison is "swapping to a new alignment" vs. "not swapping to a new alignment", and you've hit the major reasons for that (albeit lightly): badgers want to grab those shinies on the other side, moving to the "middle ground" alignments (Rogue + Vigilante) allow access to the other-side Task/Strike Forces, and until Freedom, it was the only way to get an archetype to the other side without wading through 20 levels of Praetoria. Match that up against Alignment Merits for staying put.

Another reason important to some: Epic Archetypes can't be created on the opposite side, so if you want a Vigilante Soldier of Arachnos (we have a big team of them running together), you have to start off red-side, get to 20, then transition to Rogue, then Hero, then back to Vigilante. And honestly, many of us will continue back to Villain around level 40 to pick up a Patron Pool (since VEATs can't get access to standard Epic pools, even as Heroes), then back to Rogue --> Hero --> Vigilante again. Whew.

Posted: Oct 26th 2011 5:48PM Teh Jer said

I didn't like the implementation of side-switching.

First, there's too much interface that breaks immersion. There are pips to count the number of tips you're allowed in a day (5) that also count down to show you when you can run more tips. There are progress bars to show how many tips that count towards switching sides (it takes 10, so 2 days). When the progress bar fills, your next tip will allow you to switch alignment. You have to switch alignment twice to go all the way from hero to villain or back. (Hero to Vigilant to Villain to Rogue to Hero if you want to go full circle, 44 tip missions total over 8 days.)

Second, the missions can get to be a drag. Many of them will have you get to the end of a map only to get a new objective, so scour the same map again, only to get a 3rd objective, so you scour the map one more time. Oh, Maelstrom was invisible when you defeated him, so good luck finding that 3rd objective...

3rd, If it wasn't apparent in 1 and 2, it's a grind.

I only did it for the badges, but dammit, I missed a few and 'had to' go back.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 4:59AM Grinstone said

I'd play on the villain side more often but there rarely seem to be many folks on while I'm able to play. Add to this that in my SG people are almost all pro-blue side and the motivation to stick it out as a villain is fairly low.

As with others, my main objective for going to the villain side is to pick up a patron pool and then go back to being a hero ASAP.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 11:20AM Avernus said

I just enjoy being able to go to all the zones. I also tend to always make up redeemed villain stories, or people that are really heroes but break the law (robin hood communists or drug legalization types), so it goes well with the RP that is really more active in this MMO than others.

Posted: Oct 31st 2011 6:22PM (Unverified) said

It always amuses me when people complain about the PVP in the City Of.. games, because it was NEVER an original part of the game, being in fact a big bolted-on white elephant. The people that wanted it really wanted it, everyone else just plain ignores it. Which is what still happens.

I have to admit fewer of my characters have ended up villains, now that I can make characters of all the main archetypes as heroes, but then I always was a goody-two-shoes.

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM