Posted: Oct 24th 2011 7:50PM myr said

Interested to see what "The Last Stand" ends up being. It's the name of a zone that's been in the game's files forever, but inaccessible to players.

Pet Food Alpha did a post on it when it showed up on an older roadmap back in April: http://petfoodalpha.com/2011/04/the-last-stand-isnt-as-new-as-you-might-think/

Posted: Oct 24th 2011 8:34PM slickie said

I apologize if this is a bit off-topic, but does anyone know how solo-friendly FFXI is now?

I played it when it first came out and kind of liked it, but if you wanted to do as much as gain a single XP point you needed to find a group.

I'm not saying I want the entire game to be soloable but it'd be nice if I could zone into Valkurm and kill some puny crabs myself instead of needing a small army to back me up on it!

Posted: Oct 24th 2011 9:56PM (Unverified) said

@slickie

They have made it waaaaay easier to solo level than ever before in FFXI.

They adjusted down the level of mobs which give you exp, so now you can kill easy easy mobs for exp.

They have doubled the gain of exp per kill. So easy easy mobs give -80-100 exp, and {Incredibly tough} give like 500+ (you can solo easy prey to decent challenge for 80-160 exp a kill with little to no down time)

Fields of Valor quests (repeatable) offer bonus EXP for killing targeted mobs. i.e. kill 4 rabbits 4 mandies and 2 goblins, and get rewarded exp for finishing, rinse and repeat. (very solo friendly)

Grounds of valor is similar to the above but are for dungeon type areas (indoor zones) but the more you repeat the quest the greater the bonus reward. You can get +5000 exp for each completion of the quest.

Using jobs like dancer, beast master as subs make solo much easier as well. But you need to have a job to 30 before you can unlock those. The above FoV and GoV quests make getting to 30 a breeze. You can get to 30 in less than a week easily solo. If you make a few friends you can get max level in a few days by ways of power level in abyssea (alliance parties which give 3000-5000 exp as kill quest rewards )

Posted: Oct 25th 2011 4:51PM Bewoulf said

@slickie Exactly what the guy above me said. FFXI is so much easier to enjoy solo. But, it has struck a balance between solo and party play VERY nicely, I must say. Solo play is far more possible, party play will catapult you to higher levels. In fact, with the level caps now you can solo most missions and quests that you once needed a small army to complete. Dynamis for example can be completed with 6 level 90s.

Posted: Oct 24th 2011 9:05PM ColinWilson1980 said

While it certainly can be time consuming, there have been enough changes (read: improvements?) to allow for soloing of almost any class to be viable. I've been leveling a Summoner/Blm through the dunes on my off days, and it's a nice change from what I remember back in 2005-2006.

Posted: Oct 27th 2011 2:55PM (Unverified) said

I have not played this game for a few years but am tempted to come back. However, before I spend time in this game I am curious about the "last" level expansion to 99. Does this mean that they will be turning the game servers off within a couple years?

Since they released XIV, does this even further number XI's days?

EVE Evolved: What does Thera mean for EVE?

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 6:00PM