Posted: Oct 23rd 2011 11:02AM smartstep said

Overall mmorpg's nowadays add too much neon-like shiny flashy effects.

Just make good, effects without making a rainbow of cr*ap floating around and taking whole screen.

Seriously more artism and subtetly and clearity and less simple easy-to-do flashy explosions and glowing effects, etc

Posted: Oct 23rd 2011 11:25AM real65rcncom said

Dragon Nest.

Posted: Oct 23rd 2011 11:26AM real65rcncom said

checking...

Posted: Oct 23rd 2011 11:32AM Atlasraven said

CoH doing a Rikti ship raid. Even a very good machine on low settings will have something like 5 seconds of lag.

Posted: Oct 23rd 2011 11:37AM cforciea said

I'd like to say that I love that powers each have their own flashy effect in CoH. When you go too far the other direction, you end up with games more like Guild Wars, where a significant portion of the time, I can't tell what is happening outside of the HUD, because many skills have understated and simila Ir effects. love Guild Wars, but I spend too much time ignoring the game in favor of the HUD.

I never have that problem in City of Heroes. Sure, when you get in the middle of 40 players all slamming big flashy powers in one spot, it can get ridiculous, but there aren't actually that many places where you are doing that, and I rarely (if ever) have a problem on teams of 8, which is most of the game's content. And if you have that many people during a zone invasion event, it turns into such a stomping that you probably don't need to get that specific on your targeting anyway.

Posted: Oct 23rd 2011 12:07PM (Unverified) said

Guild Wars 1 is a weird game in this case - on the one hand, it's too flashy with white flashes everywhere, on the other hand the effects are hard to recognise for specific spells.

Looks like GW2 will be more recognisable, but still flashy. I hope they will check how many effects are there in 40-man dynamic events and finetune it accordingly.

Posted: Oct 23rd 2011 12:33PM Saker said

Oh people!, No! You're almost all talking about western-market games, -wrong- eastern-market games all where the over-the-top is definitely found! I'm not a eastern-market-hater by any stretch, way things have been going last couple years most my hopes are with games coming out of Asia. That being said nobody does over-the-top like the Asian games. Besides the general styles (whore-chic Tera I'm lookin at -YOU- !) wow when they get the fights going and the number-storms are washing over the landscape and the "effects" are vomiting up, well.... western games don't hold a candle!

Posted: Oct 23rd 2011 1:46PM Keeop said

@Saker Totally agree. Asian market games are like an acid trip gone horribly wrong. There's a few minor explosions on the West side, most of which have been mentioned. But it's still a cakewalk comparatively.

Posted: Oct 23rd 2011 2:01PM (Unverified) said

Rift is definitely a contender in my book. I felt like combat, even with a simple warrior, was filled with fireworks. I don't know how simple melee is filled with lightning and firecrackers....

Posted: Oct 23rd 2011 2:09PM Randomessa said

Aion has always struck me as having obnoxious over-the-top effects. As lovely as the character graphics are, I could never get past the huge effects for even the smallest blade swings.

Posted: Oct 23rd 2011 3:09PM (Unverified) said

Besides GW1, are there any other games yall think hit the opposite side of the spectrum and could do with a bit more explodey? Personally saw the statue protest at its height during monocle-gate in EVE Online. Hundreds of folks going after one statue and still didn't get up to the ridiculous amount of effects from any of the games mentioned. That said the game does tend towards realism, noise in space aside, so it's somewhat understandable.

In games that are particularly high, an option to reduce the effects is always greatly appreciated. Even the static Auras from COH can turn a regular looking chap into a walking sunspot in my eyes.

Posted: Oct 23rd 2011 3:48PM mogunz02 said

any arguments of CoH's FX is moot. There is an option in Grphx to decrease the particle fx with out sacrificing your other visual settings. Tone it down till it doesnt @#$^% your eyes anymore.

Posted: Oct 23rd 2011 5:01PM Daemodand said

Star Wars Galaxies went way overboard with the effects post-NGE. The combat should have looked like the movies in that game, and before the NGE it pretty much did. But after? The particles were turned up to 11 and combat no longer looked anything like you see in the movies.

Posted: Oct 23rd 2011 9:02PM hereafter said

Rift has been mentioned, but it was the biggest offender of all the games I've played. Some of the effects don't really seem appropriate on a case-by-case basis either, like certain melee strikes probably don't need a swirling vortex trailing after them. It just gets crazy with bosses.

That's actually something I like about TOR, so far the ability effects haven't gone overboard. I'll have to wait until I see a big boss fight first though, before I judge.

Posted: Oct 23rd 2011 11:28PM Ryukan said

Rift goes way overboard with effects. If you're melee it was sometimes almost impossible to see yourself amidst all the spell and particle effects during the big raid and open group rift/invasion battles.

Posted: Oct 24th 2011 10:38AM epilepticemu said

Oh man, the one that really stood out to me was DAoC. I remember wanting to roll a Hibernian Eldritch just because those spell effects were SO DAMN COOL! I never got to raiding in that game, so they might have become too much, but at that point the effects were really awesome.

But yeah, I pretty much stopped CoH just because ht indoor missions were ridiculous. I could never tell what was going on.

Posted: Oct 25th 2011 9:58AM Avernus said

Some of the Eastern made games had a lot worse over CoH, I can't even remember the names, Cabal? But even swinging a non magical sword was all sorts of color.

Though I think it is pretty clear that a lot of people have even toned down their powers in CoH since it got its power color and dark/bright options.

Posted: Oct 25th 2011 3:30PM Snorii said

I actually enjoy all of the crazy effects going off in CoH and yes, I have lost my mouse pointer more than a few times. I always turn down the particle effects when raiding like the rikti ship and Hamidon (in the old days).

MMO Week in Review: It is your Destiny