Posted: Oct 22nd 2011 9:27PM Yukon Sam said

I think WoW is doing it fine: ftp to level 20, after that pony up or gtfo. People who threaten to avoid or walk away from a game they're not paying for amuse me. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I AM enjoying LOTRO at the moment. They pick my pocket on a regular basis, but they give fair value for the money.

Business is business. There may be such a thing as a free lunch, but it ain't gonna be steak and lobster, kids.

Posted: Oct 23rd 2011 2:39AM Skyydragonn said

actually several games offer unrestricted access to cntent and they do just fine. There are also several that dont sell power or "IWIN" buttons through thier cash shops, nor do tehy sell mandatory items for top end play. I dont see them going under anytime soon, so next time you want to attempt to be witty....save yourself the embarassment and dont.

Posted: Oct 23rd 2011 4:52AM (Unverified) said

@Skyydragonn : OK let's hear the names of a few games that offer unrestricted access to content, don't sell power, don't sell mandatory items, and are doing just fine. I'll wait.

Posted: Oct 23rd 2011 4:30AM Sam not Spam said

Whatever is done, they need to not make the same mistake as Dungeon Runners - if they give too much away for free, that will detrimentally affect revenue coming in and may cause the game to fail.

Posted: Oct 23rd 2011 10:03PM Zenn said

I find Mabinogi's system actually works quite well.

The entirety of the game's content is pretty much free. You can play through the whole game without paying a dime.

However, as you dive deeper into the game you will want some of the fluff and useful stuff like mounts or extra bag space etc. which simply makes your fantasy life more appealing and more streamlined.

Posted: Oct 24th 2011 9:10AM elliotrock said

Yeah the answer to maintain retention of the non-pre paid (non-sub), is to remove content barriers - I dislike the sub and F2P model unless the sub was basically a pre-purchase at a discount of an amount of in game currency.

Its pretty obvious that AoC and other restrictive content games will have a massively low retention rate of non-subscription players and the conversion of this to paying will be low. The maths is simple more MUA plus high retention = more money!