Posted: Oct 21st 2011 9:27AM Bhima said

What can I say, he seems genuinely concerned about the game he's working on. The changes sound promising, but this is definitely still a wait and see moment for most of the MMO community. I hear the combat is pretty dang clunky and I hope they address that with better gameplay overall and not just duct tape on some new skills/balance. I hope it is a success just for the fact that it looks so damn beautiful!

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 10:24AM koehler83 said

@Bhima

Battle really is clunky and its improvement is very inconsistent. One patch comes and it feels great. The next patch comes and destroys everything.

1.18 brought auto-attack, which while not innovative in the least, smoothed a lot of rough edges and let people start utilizing more of their abilities without wasting all their stamina on basic attacks.

1.19 came along and removed the action queue mechanic, so every action needs to be completed before another can be used. This in itself is fine, but the action cast bar doesn't work worth a damn so it's impossible to tell when the next ability can be used without watching your character's animation, despite that taking longer than actually necessary.

These two changes are fine in and of themselves, but they're in opposition to one another, in my opinion.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 9:38AM Raikulxox said

I love XIV. I actually think I'm enjoying it more now than what I will once 2.0 comes. Coming from FFXI, which has globalized servers for all countries, I'm a bit dissapointed Yoshi is adding region-specific ones, especially since we have an auto-translate in game. That, and the WoW's LFD isn't really to my liking, nor is the fact that add-ons are going to be supported. Seems like he's making the game into what most other MMO's on the market are.

I will pay the sub to play through 2.0, and take my trial then to see if I'll stay.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 11:03AM koehler83 said

@Raikulxox

Don't worry about it. It will just segregate the indignant xenophobes. Everyone left on the global servers will be a generally friendlier crowd.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 11:06AM alzeer said

@Raikulxox i dont see the harm of adding region specific servers along with global servers .
having choice is always good

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 12:02PM Irem said

@Raikulxox
From what he's said, the region-specific servers will be optional. I don't like the cross-server LFD in WoW, either, but I think Yoshida's reasoning behind adding it in is sound; he's looking forward years down the line and wanting to have it in place to help leveling players find group members when the majority of people are at endgame (this was a problem that plagued XI, and in fact, is a big issue with a lot of MMOs).

Parser is what I'm most worried about with addons, but frankly, someone was going to create it for XIV anyway eventually, and people were going to obsess over it, so it might as well be done out in the open. The unauthorized addons for XI also eventually ended up with stuff like fleehacking being pretty common, which I don't think would have happened if players hadn't already been "breaking the rules" with something as simple and useful as the basic Windower. Might as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb.

Supporting addons also means that we'll probably get some fun stuff that isn't strictly combat/utility related. I'd kill for a FFXIV version of MyRolePlay or FlagRSP2.

Posted: Oct 22nd 2011 1:36PM kgptzac said

@Raikulxox

I think regional server would be an excellent idea if it improves general latency in the game. It also should curb the problem where conversations between players go beyond what auto translate feature can handle. Last time I played FF14 I was seriously put off by the silence in general chats, and the taste in my mouth was not ideal when I found out most of the non-afk players are either unable or unwilling to speak English. There's nothing wrong with that; though I'd like to play in a server that the majority of players can and will speak a Language that I can understand.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 9:47AM Chiren said

I will give it another spin - because you can actually see the fuzzy ear fur on miqo'te characters - that is some attention to detail.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 9:49AM Tyrang said

Like Yoshi as a project manager. He sure delivers on good expectations.

And the class systems seem interesting. I am a sucker for class, definitely would give this another shot.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 9:50AM aharshberger said

Seeing this kind of earnestness from a developer is great.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 9:55AM Laren said

Good interview. I'm so mad that they released it last year. It is starting to sound like a real game now. They really have a vision for it this time. Is it too late?

American cars have been more reliable then European ones for a while now, but they still carry the stigma of inferior products. I fear FFXIV won't be able to recover...

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 10:02AM (Unverified) said

To be honest the one mmo I intend to pay a subscription for at this point is swtor. ff14 still isn't up to standard. I will reconsider at 1.22, but only if they also overhaul the PC client. Given how shoddy the performance given the processing power I throw at it I'm somewhat aggravated about that. ff14 is one of those games I really want to like, but the game is making it exceedingly hard for me to do so.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 1:12PM shojikareza said

@(Unverified)

With current 1.xx i would advice you to wait til 2.0 because the whole engine and server will be overhaul for low end PC -> High end PC and also PS3.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 1:14PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) they ARE implementing a new graphics system. its been announced.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 10:10AM Valdur said

I have never played any FF online game but I have been following the game since its launch and I'm seriously looking forward to give it a try as it sounds to be a very special game compared to the sea of clones that we have right now.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 10:34AM (Unverified) said

I believe Asheron's Call is the only game to have content that was only there for a limited time but I could be wrong.

FFXI to this day is still the longest time I've played a MMO continuously. FFXIV continues to be my dark horse. With regards to FFXI it is still the best MMO ever made in terms of different and distinct classes. I'm excited for TOR, TSW, even GW2 a little; but none of them to me have the untapped potential that FFXIV has. Whether or not it gets there... well only time will tell.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 11:33AM Azules said

I'm really happy about everything yoshi-p has done, but nothing new in this interview for me. All I can say is.

Don't screw me, Yoshi. Don't cancel Musketeer. Archers art so freaking lame, I don't want to shoot sticks at things. Give me my gun ;-;

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 1:14PM shojikareza said

@Azules

Better yet, give me a gunblade, or gunlance!

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 12:13PM Irem said

Thank you for the interview! :D It's great to see how much curiosity and attention the 2.0 announcement has generated. Yoshida's consistently impressed me with his willingness to communicate (especially with the non-JP community) and the thought and ambition behind his plans for XIV.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 2:12PM Tyrang said

@Irem

You know what is very impressive? There hasn't been a troll yet on the comments, to my surprise. Yoshi's effort is well received ^^