Posted: Oct 21st 2011 10:02PM (Unverified) said

@relgoth
1. Do you remember when Pokemon was released? 1996. So people who were ages 4-10 during the release of Pokemon are now 19-25, and a large number of people who loved to play Pokemon games from the start still play today because they enjoy the customization and fun game mechanics. They don't tend to care who thinks the game is childish because they're too busy having a blast building their teams and toppling gym leaders or competitively playing with their friends, age-mates who also liked Pokemon back in 1996. The Pokemon genre is so popular, attracting new, younger players while hanging on to its faithful fans because it is simply an enjoyable game. WoW had a spin-off of Plants vs. Zombies which the casual and the hardcore both enjoyed. Why can't it have a spin-off of a time-tested, enjoyable game? Blizzard said it wanted to add more things to do end-game besides raiding. Nobody is being forced down the pet battling route. I doubt that someone's Tier 13 helmet is going to drop from pet battles. If a player enjoys pet battles, they can go nuts! If they don't enjoy pet battles, the matter doesn't concern them.

2. Now that I have explicated about Pokemon, I would like to remind you that the Pandaren race in Warcraft lore pre-dates the Kung-fu Panda movies. That is all.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 11:21PM relgoth said

@(Unverified)

1) I was heavily into pokemon from 1996-2003 i loved playing pokemon all the way to ruby version. I dont want to play it anymore, i dont want to play in my mmos most of all. You say i can avoid it, but time was spent developing this content that could have been spent on something else like an alternative path to raiding for more casual people to gear up. AKA something that would actually affect how the game is played instead of something "fun"

2) just because it predates the movies doesnt mean that the movies success wasnt seen by blizzard as a plus to go ahead with this theme because there was a market for it.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 11:33PM Eamil said

@relgoth

"like an alternative path to raiding for more casual people to gear up."

Like valor points for daily quests?

Posted: Oct 22nd 2011 10:32AM relgoth said

@Eamil

It was stated that it would never get you as much as doing raids. Which is silly, what if i never raid i should be punished to get my gear at a slower rate than everyone else?

Posted: Oct 22nd 2011 10:42AM (Unverified) said

@relgoth

Instead of laughing you should learn to read.

World Raids against open world bosses. Whaaha you didn't read that one.
One zone to wade through for both Horde and Alliance and ... no flying.
A collect a pet system , raise, train and fight with them, is a complete new game mechanic. It is pokemon on steroids with an AH added to them.
Public Quests , but this time being done across all servers so ... manned 100% all of the time.
A Monk class with NO auto attack function

And deleted the copy cutter classes.

Yeah Blizzard 7 - Wow copycats 0.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 9:41PM (Unverified) said

I laughed so hard in real life I almost shit myself. THIS is supposed to be wow's rescue? omfg I feel soooo bad for wow players for real. This isn't even desperation, it's insanity.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 10:05PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)
From where I'm standing, I'm beginning to see this expansion as a method to purge the haters, actually.

Posted: Oct 22nd 2011 10:48AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@(Unverified)

Look at the pet system between WOW and the upcoming SW TOR.

In Wow you catch them, raise them, train them and fight with them in a new gaming system with turn based strategy.

Hundreds of them will be added and they are BOE and can be traded on the AH...

In SW TOR you have the same companions for everyone and they just stand there as a replacement for... a human player. Hardly 10 available and no other meaning than a surrogate player.

So apart from the 12+ BG's, open world boss raids, 100+ dungeons, 11 classes, open worlds (flying) and the new PQ systems, what can the Clone wars offer against this? A voiced potato ? :))))

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 9:47PM Marz said

I am a big fan of Buffy the Vampire slayer.

One of the interesting things about that show is when they would do the lighthearted episodes. There would almost always be a "Big Reveal" near the end. It would be, funny, quirky, funny, quirky.....Boom! Big reveal.

I think Mist of Pandaria is going to be; funny, quirky, funny, quirky....Boom we are fighting Sargeras.

Just a thought.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 9:57PM Drakkon said

Haters gonna hate.

Posted: Oct 22nd 2011 8:29PM Utakata said

@Drakkon

Trolls gonna troll.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 10:19PM (Unverified) said

*Chuggin along on some water skis. Man this is a lovely day*
Do be do be do * skimming the water. Swerving to the left, the right. Yeah, life is good. Give the signal to the boat driver. "Go faster, my good man. We gotta hit warp 9 if we're going to ... * you gasp*
...JUMP THIS FREAKIN SHARK."
*Great white shark that could dwarf a zephlin balloon bursts out of the water, eclipsing the sun. You do the jump... but you splat right into the side of the thing. Its that big.*

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 10:21PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)
Damn wish I could edit my post. Zeppelin. my bad.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 10:31PM StringTokenizer said

I may be wrong, but it really seems like Blizzard is getting desperate. They're adding in all of the features community-concoted ideas and suggestions that used to flood the forums. Many of the playerbase's desires were often shot down by Blizzard, but it seems that in the interest of keeping their subscribers, Blizzard has changed their motto to "ask and you shall recieve":

- Pandaren race? Here it comes, this was a heavily demanded feature yet until now (deny it all you want panda fanboys, but its the truth) they've always been treated as comic relief and an extended joke by Blizzard.

- A race that can choose which faction to join? Check. This was often suggested for a prospective Goblin race, but Blizzard's response was that for PvP all races had to have a distinct silhouette so as to avoid confusion. Looks like that got scrapped.

- A Brewmaster class? Yes indeed, in the form of the Monk. Again, this was a Pandaren thing and was generally facetious.

- Can't fly in Pandaria until max level? People whined about how "trivial" instant Azeroth flight made outdoor content, so what does Blizzard do? No more flying for you.

We can even go back to Cataclysm for some other concessions as well:

- Community wants to use flying mounts in Azeroth? Blizzard stated that they'd literally have to overhaul the entire world to make it work; an incredible investment in time and money. What do they choose to then spend development time? (Combine with the above for some delicious irony)

- "Wah! Blizzard, I don't wanna do another ten levels!" So what happens? Only five levels for Cataclysm (and Mists as well).

There's probably some others I'm missing, but you get the point.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 10:57PM (Unverified) said

@StringTokenizer
An MMO developer listening to their player base is a bad thing? This isn't 2004 anymore. Sure, Mists of Pandaria is largely experimental, and Cataclysm had its share of experiments, but WoW needs to keep changing to stay relevant. You know that, I know that, and Blizzard knows that.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 10:34PM Tizmah said

I really don't see why people are calling this childish. I think that's stupid to say it's not for adults. Anyway, I really don't like the idea because this was originally a joke...now it's becoming cannon. It's like the Cow Level in Diablo becoming cannon...

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 11:38PM Utakata said

@Tizmah

It's not childish...just stupid.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 11:03PM (Unverified) said

So lemme get this straight Blizzard, people worried that when you "fixed" the Talent system that it would result in cookie cutter builds. You ignored those cries and patched away, now you are "fixing" the Talents again because... too many cookie cutter builds. *facepalm*

It's good that they finally adding a new class, but it may bee Too Little, Too Late. Nearly 7 years and they've only added 1 new class, that's rather pathetic considering the resources they have. Where's the next Hero Class? When you say DK's are your "first hero class" that implies there is going to be a second.

Expansion is only five zones again? So basically it's just as small as Cats was.

I'll pass Dec 20th will be here soon anyways.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 11:22PM archer75 said

@(Unverified) I agree that it sucks that after all this time we are only just now getting a 2nd class.
And i'm not sold on the talent system, I do see potential with it and will withhold judgement until I get my hands on it.
The zones that are in the expansion are said to be very large. Twice the size of current zones. So it's like getting 10 of the current world zones. It's still pretty big.
I still would like to see more levels. 5 levels is pretty quick to blow through but I am looking forward to having more end game gameplay options that suit my gameplay style and allow me to gear up.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 11:18PM archer75 said

I actually like it. I think the asian setting is great. Pandas don't bother me at all. The feature set looks like something i'd enjoy. Yeah, I think it will be good for me and my wife to play.
We don't currently have active wow accounts so we're not fanboys, we're both in our 30's and i'm also in the TOR beta and can see both games existing happily side by side on my hard drive.