Posted: Oct 21st 2011 5:41PM Knuxson said

I actually really like monk or martial arts type classes. I used to always try to get fist weapons on my rogue because I thought punching stuff was cool. A whole class based around that makes me want to check it out which is bad because after 6 years of WoW I said I was done. I will have to just try to ignore any more WoW expansion news to resist temptation.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 6:02PM Cyclone Jack said

This will solidify their place in the Chinese market a bit better and should help them as they expand into more Asian markets. They know they are going to take a hit in the US/EU markets when SWTOR and GW2 hits. It is interesting to see them pull some GW1 features over, and it'll be more interesting to see how they evolve during development and post launch.

I'll will not be buying it (or any Blizz product, on principal), but that does not mean that I will not pay attention to it and their dev team, though I think the majority of their initial WoW talent have moved on to other projects (Titan) or companies (A.net, Runic, etc). Still, they are Blizzard, and they have shaped genres, so what they do is still worth paying attention to.

Posted: Oct 22nd 2011 5:30AM (Unverified) said

@Cyclone Jack

Good points. Add in the Pet Shop - Pokemon battlesystem and it's obvious the way WoW's going.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 6:26PM smartstep said

WoW evolves even more in the way of very young teenagers. Which is fine I think.
Battle pets system will make item shop much bigger I presume.
Focus on Alliance vs Horde - hmm I can see some item shop items here as well, maybe some direct advantage finally?

Anyway Activision / Blizzard are finished for me. Not interested in D3, deffo not interested in next WoW expansion as they totally bring this game in opposite direction I like in mmorpg's.

That's kinda good. Illusion with 'game for everyone' should finally end.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 6:29PM nilsmmoblog said

@smartstep

Agreed.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 7:53PM Celtar said

@smartstep

Was reading newer to older so I missed your remarks. I have to agree with your opinion that Blizzard has been for the past few years focusing on a younger and younger player base.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 6:27PM Ratham said

And... Blizzard fails again. WoW is struggling badly, but hey its expected for a game its age.

Seems like they're trying to rip a bunch from other MMOs that have been revitalized or are coming up,

We got AOC's Kitai zone...
SWTORs "choice blah blah blah" for the new talent system
Guild wars out the butt....
etc.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 6:27PM Ratham said

@Ratham Oh and i forgot.....Pokemon... really..?

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 7:25PM Addfwyn said

@Ratham It's fine if it's not for you, I may not be playing it either, but WoW is struggling? You have very very high standards for success

Posted: Nov 9th 2011 11:24PM Drakkon said

@Ratham In what way is WoW struggling? They may be down 1.1M to 1.4M subscribers, but their profits are up triple. That sounds like a sound business model and a good game design to me.

I'm looking forward to MoP. The introduction of the pokemon-esque vanity pet battle system sounds like fun, and the challenge dungeons should make for a great time. Blizzard is obviously listening ot the market when it says that there is a lot of interest in casual content.

Of course, they're still churning out high-end raids, so they're catering to the hardcores, too. It isn't often that someone can make something that has a little for everyone. But anyone out there who thinks that they're going to make a game that's just what they want is foolish beyond words. MoP is a step in the right direction to try and bring in more casual players, and there's still enough around to entice the hardcores. So long as you can get over yourself long enough to let others enjoy the aspects of the game they like, you might be able to enjoy the aspects of the game you like. It doesn't have to be, and shouldn't be, all or nothing.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 6:45PM JayDay said

Oh Cool! Kung Fu Panda 4!!!

Oh wait, no it's *Massive facepalm* WoW.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 6:55PM (Unverified) said

Catering to China or children? Either way, not for adult gamers.

Posted: Oct 22nd 2011 4:36PM Irem said

@(Unverified)
There are "adult gamers" in China, too, and frankly, it's a little weird that everyone's jumping on the idea that the overseas Eastern market is going to be bouncing up and down with glee just because Blizzard is making an expansion with pandas and Chinese-inspired architecture and themes. A whole hell of a lot of the games that come out of those countries are at least as mired in traditional Western fantasy tropes as vanilla WoW was.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 7:12PM MCMjolnir said

I don't know how well this will cater to China. I seem to remember the panda companion got pulled from Guild Wars before Chinese release because in China it's illegal to depict the death of endangered animals, and this game has a whole race of them. As if the Chinese weren't having a hard enough time playing this game...

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 7:33PM (Unverified) said

Everythings SEEMS great so far, except for two things...

1- Changing the Talent system? WOW, thats just ridiculous. Just because some scumbags abuse the system and have no imagination, dont ruin it for us, No WOW is going to copy RIft- sort of. ONE TALENT eveny 15 levels!?!!!!!!!!! So 6 talents at max level???? Jeeez, they better be giving players TONS of abilities and bonuses every level-up lol

2 - Seems like a "FILLER" xpac, no REAL exciting story or purpose for going there. All the epic baddies have been defeated and after DW is defeated, noone else will even come close!!!

Let me guess? Giant evil panda-deamon? LOL

Still, its new WOW content and regardless of how many players continue to DESTROY the games community and mistakes made by the devs, I will always love the games lore and living in that mmoRPG world is just fantastic.

Hopefully we'll get a date soon and a release before 2013

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 7:52PM Celtar said

@(Unverified) You know though in more recent years you did get a strong feeling that Blizzard was trying to focus more and more on a younger player base. I felt that way a few years ago when they kept dumbing down the challenges, lowering the thought put into figuring out what you wanted to do with your character and class etc. So honestly The whole Panda thing really sort of just fits the continuation of that mindset.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 8:54PM Rayko said

@(Unverified)

This is not even close to Rift. in fact, this is about as far from Rift's system you can get while still using talent trees. Rift has more options talent tree wise of any current game ( matrix online had more). This is simplified to the point of "why even bother with trees?'....and I like wow more than I like Rift, but that's not saying much. =)

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 9:04PM Marz said

@(Unverified) All the epic baddies have been defeated and after DW is defeated, noone else will even come close!!!

Let me guess? Giant evil panda-deamon? LOL
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Marz says: OK; I don't suppose you realize that the Tomb of Sargeras is located on an Island near the maelstrom? And that Pandarens who live on a mysterious island near the Maelstrom see themselves as guardians.

Guardians of what I wonder? Hmmm?

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 9:47PM (Unverified) said

@Marz
The lore contains enough "big bads" material to cover many more expansions. There's Sargeras as you mentioned, the Old Gods (IMHO, some of the funnest battles ever!), we haven't even been to the Emerald Dream yet, Azshara's still swimming rampant somewhere, and I could go on. Really, a lot of people thought Wrath would be the end of WoW because it was the end of the story arc set up in WC3, but just a little more lore knowledge reveals that plenty of things could happen in WoW, even unexpected things like the discovery of Pandaria. I don't know what that (other) Unverified guy/gal is going on about. ;P

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 10:46PM Marz said

@(Unverified)

Azshara could very well be the next big bad. They have been doing a little bit of foreshadowing with her in this expansion. A massive troll invasion might also be in the cards as well.