Posted: Oct 20th 2011 10:15PM real65rcncom said

After a quick dip into the mailbag, Casey ends on a serious note by pointing out his swanky purple duds are his way of showing support for bullied LGBT youth among the gaming populace.
++++++++++++++

I would think the company takes care of this with bannage... at least that's what I pay them for.

I'd rather not talk to some troglodyte about his social manners, I'd just hit the 'report' button and let the company deal with it.

Posted: Oct 20th 2011 11:08PM Saker said

@real65rcncom "I'd just hit the 'report' button and let the company deal with it."
You're making the assumption that they do anything at all.

Posted: Oct 20th 2011 11:45PM mattwo said

@Saker Pft the only way you will know whether or not they get banned is if you see them again.

Sadly unless you know how to find their usual hang outs clans/guilds/etc or are in their clan/guild/etc and they haven't already been ejected,

You will never know.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 9:36AM real65rcncom said

@Saker

wrong, I'm not making any assumption.

I'm supposed to report bad behavior that breaks the EULA, that's it. It's not my job to sit there and argue with some moronic homophobe.

If you want to thats fine, but I'll report, then /blist and I'm done. You can spend your quality gaming time playing Social Justiceman.. I'll play the game.

Posted: Oct 22nd 2011 4:19PM Pylades said

@real65rcncom I actually do think there's value in saying something, for a couple of reasons. First, some MMOs have a policy where you need to tell a person to stop before you can report them for harrasment, so be familiar with the rules for your MMO. Second, saying something simple like, "Hey, there's no need to use that kind of language. That's not cool," can make a difference for someone who is feeling bullied. It can help them see that they are not alone.

I'm gay, and I remember vividly a time (more than twenty years ago now) when some guys in junior high were harassing me at a school assembly. A young woman who I barely knew was sitting nearby, and she laughed at the guys and said, "You two are such babies. Grow the hell up." And then she made small talk with me. It's stuck with me for a long time, so you can see that it had a big impact at a really vulnerable time.

Sometimes just letting a kid know that we're not all like that can make a difference.

Posted: Oct 22nd 2011 5:11PM real65rcncom said

@Pylades

You being gay, I can understand why you would think it prudent for someone to say something. Perfectly understandable.

But to be honest, if the game did not have a mechanism in place for that, I would. It's just like if I was at a job and someone made homophobic comments.. I'd report that to the boss through the Civil Rights Act because that mechanism is already in place. It's not wise for me as someone not involved to get into a shouting match with a moron. That won't solve anything.

If someone says something over open chat, Screenshot it, report it and you're (I'm ) done. That's as far as I want to get involved in it as I don't think a game is the place to have that argument; it's the wrong venue.

As the saying goes "Who's more foolish? The fool, or the person who argues with one?"

Posted: Oct 20th 2011 11:01PM drunkingamebar said

Ah yes, pointing out someones ignorance, usually ends up with an ear full of ignorance in return. Report is usually the best method imo.

Posted: Oct 20th 2011 11:09PM Saker said

@drunkingamebar True. Hopefully the company in question actually does something.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 3:11PM ElfLove said

@Saker

I believe with the new hate crime laws (int he US and Canada at leas) they have to do something about it. Homophobic comments count as hate speech (and rightfully so).

I thank if the company does not act accordingly the person being harassed can report them as well...

Personally I just wish that gamers would all get along with each other, and that jerks who do pick on people for things that are natural, and just a part of life, wouldn't play MMOs at all...

...*sigh* one can dream eh.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 1:08AM Elikal said

Is it just me, or did he just out himself? I mean he said this sentence at the end like "next time one of us".

Maybe I am overthinking it.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 4:06AM Erovin said

@Elikal

Was it maybe his comment, "Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in."?

Or something like that..

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 9:38AM real65rcncom said

@Elikal

If he did "out himself", so what?

I think YOU just proved what he was talking about. Why do you care what he is or isn't?

Why is his sexual orientation important to you???

Posted: Oct 22nd 2011 2:17AM Elikal said

@real65rcncom I am just curious. No secret agenda here. ^^

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 1:10AM Elikal said

"One of us will help you better cooridinate your armor style". Hm. ^^

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 7:24AM Bramen said

I support everyone who is being bullied anywhere they are being bullied, not just the LGBTG community in mmo games. It single just the LGBTG community out, one exposes them as being "weaker" and two translates into "It is ok to pick on someone else, but don't mess with them" sentiment. Where the purple tie for all the people who are bullied not just LGBTG. Just my two cents.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 7:25AM Bramen said

@Bramen
... sorry for the typos I clearly need more coffee this morning.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 1:52PM (Unverified) said

Is it just me or is his nose leaning to one side. Now I have to go back and re-watch past episodes to see if its always done this.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 2:48PM ElfLove said

"..intellect is in a constant state of debuff."

Mwha I'm going to have to use that on the next dumb ass homophobe, (racists, and sexist jerks as well) I see in an MMO....just before I hit report, and ignore. ^_^