Posted: Oct 20th 2011 9:24PM StClair said

One of the other shoes dropped today - all crafting will now require (refined) dilithium, in addition to any particle traces or other components. The breakdown looks like about 90% of the cost of just going and buying the gear directly from a vendor for just dilithium.

People on the forums are already going crazy, claiming it's the end of fleet crafters, all crafting, and/or the player economy. What I'm not sure any of them has quite grasped is, no, Cryptic and/or PWI actually doesn't expect you to grind for all that dilithium. As noted above, they want you to pay real money, to them, for everything ... including the gear you used to craft for yourself and fleetmates.

Posted: Oct 20th 2011 10:00PM Solar Jetman said

@StClair
Point of fact correction: Previously you could not craft Mk I, III, V, VII gear. Now you can, with no dilith needed, only samples.

I don't think that's an improvement, but I assume to grind crafting XP people won't want to waste more than they have to. Don't imply that they have to.

Posted: Oct 20th 2011 9:45PM The Grand Nagus said

It just got worse than anyone imagined:

Posted: Oct 20th 2011 10:00PM TortoiseCan said

So I'd say I'm a moderate star trek fan - meaning I've seen about half the episodes since TNG but would fail miserably in a trivia contest..

Given that my interest in the game world is moderate , will this game appeal to me if I'm just looking for something new gameplay wise? Or is it the same ol' same ol

Posted: Oct 20th 2011 10:36PM Caerus said

@TortoiseCan

I'm a casual Star Trek fan and a relatively serious MMO gamer, and this game was enjoyable to me for exactly 1 month. It's largely a solo affair and I found it well paced if a bit on the easy side (play on normal, the difficulty sliders are awful - don't even bother unless you like getting 1-shotted in melee by everything). I leveled to cap almost exclusively solo but grouped up for a few missions just for a change of pace.

I felt it captured the essence of my favorite Star Trek experiences quite well, but if you weren't fond of Voyager and TNG then it might not be your cup of tea.

There is literally nothing to do once you have leveled to cap and experienced the questlines through the 5-man "raids" but grind for emblems, which is horrible in terms of time vs. reward.

I would recommend you give it a shot when it goes F2P, but do *NOT* spend any money in the cash shop, because I can almost guarantee you'll get sick of the game and quit sooner rather than later.

Posted: Oct 20th 2011 10:44PM Caerus said

@Caerus

Sorry, I just realized I may have completely neglected to answer your real question: the ground combat is nothing special but I found the space combat refreshing and a lot of fun, and you spend the majority of your time in space. Crafting is extremely boring and straightforward - everyone gets the same recipes and harvests the same range of materials. Diplomacy XP is a neat idea, but progressing beyond the lower ranks is a grind of cut-and-paste repeatable missions instead of the really awesome early unique quests. Leveling is a straight-shot series of story quests that you generally need to do all of in order to level, so leveling alts is nothing new. The story is engaging but I tried to level an alt and didn't make it past 10 or 11 (cap is/was 51). The foundry is user-created missions, and about what you'd expect. Some good, most terrible.

The "weekly episodes" are, for the most part, completely amazing. If you try the game and do nothing else, check them out. Very short, but still some of the most enjoyable MMO content I've played - maybe ever.

Posted: Oct 20th 2011 10:43PM (Unverified) said

I think I understand why dstahl left Cryptic.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 6:07PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@(Unverified)

"I think I understand why dstahl left Cryptic. "

No, I don't think you do. And even if your presumption is that it was based on this change of economy, you should look at the company he went to: Zynga. Now look at their games and reputation. Here, I'll give you a head start: http://blog.games.com/2010/09/08/zynga-ceo-to-employees-i-dont-f-ing-want-innovation/

Now ask yourself if your one-liner statement makes any sense.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 8:57PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

OK...but I sense a lot of hostility from you.

Why???

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 4:05AM smartstep said

Well that's no surprise really. Cryptic before it was bought by their new asian overlords was already playing not fair imho - putting cash shop with some p2w items in p2p game.

Currently their new owners want to get money they've spent on buying Cryptic back ASAP.

Besides all freemium games are going p2w in some extent sooner or later.
Guess with STO it is quite a big extent and it is 'sooner'.

Really no surprise.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 7:41AM seannewboy said

Great article Brandon. I was really disappointed to see the new crafting, its making really start to wonder just how fun the game will be f2p. SWG became famous for its crafting economy, and its been a big part in other games. To tie crafting into a nontradeable commodity makes it a single player system, no way most people will give up large amounts of ore for one beam bank, and not many crafters will want more ore to go to their 8k/day limit.

Posted: Oct 21st 2011 3:55PM Ocho said

I'm wondering how the monthly stipend will play into all of this trading. Most likely the Promotional Points you get won't be sellable, only Cryptic Points. Otherwise, the stipend of points could be traded for dilithium. However, I think they plan on making dilithium easy to acquire. I hopped on Tribble last night, did an hourly event, got some, and I was level 2. I see a lot of complaints about adding dilithium to crafting, but only crafting bigger items... crafting regular items I don't think is costing any dilithium.

But lets face it, the crafting is weak in STO to say the least. Everyone can craft anything... theres no differentiation of crafting specialties, and they use the same components to craft everything. I expected an entire overhaul of crafting with F2P... adding dilithium isn't the worst thing as its used really as exchange for gear anyway, but the entire system needs an overhaul. I was expecting this: You find the components by scanning, then use those scans to create other special crafting components, which then can be used for a shield/weapon/tech specialty. Want the best phasers, but you craft shields? Thats what the Exchange is for, and actual comunication with other players. The real problem is implementing that system now without pissing off multitudes of current players...

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014