Posted: Oct 19th 2011 2:26PM Seldra said

Hell no, I'm a soloist at heart so leading anything for me would only slow me down but would also slow the guild down. Leave it to the social butterflies to deal with that crap.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 2:33PM gloomforge said

Could I? Maybe.

I've been an officer for around 4 years now in a 70-80 person guild. I enjoy a lot of the aspects of it. When I see ways to do things better I work hard to get them implemented. I'm a very active player, even during the slower times of year (summer is harsh) and I've tried hard to make sure our guild members are active and happy. My downfall is I despise recruiting with a passion and I don't think I could easily entrust that job to someone else if it were my personal guild.

I'm honestly quite content to be there for the rest of my members, advocating for them, making things happen, and being something of a personal adviser to our guild leader. Taking that next step form officer to guild leader just doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather be running events and working more in the background to ensure things run smoothly than to have to deal with all the nonsense

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 2:43PM Daverator said

Guild leadership requires an immense amount of effort and dedication.

I have been close enough to the top of guilds to know that it isn't for the feint of heart. Hard decisions have to be made. Not just on occasion, but often. Do you take this possible recruit who is a great player but will cause drama? Do you have preference to long time members or the most active currently? Do you accept someone who you need if they come paired with someone you don't?

All of these have consequences for either answers. And the fact is that once you pick one, it is too late to undo the damage if you change your mind.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 3:08PM N620AA said

I've been there. This piece of advice will probably get me some criticism, but it's something I've learned after putting my hand on the stove many many times:

If you believe things need to be changed drastically in your guild, and you're given the opportunity to change them... DON'T DO IT. RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN. If people really want drastic change, and claim to be behind it? Tell them to leave the guild with you and form a new one. If they don't want to, there's your sign. Give up, or run.

Because no matter how good your intentions are, no matter how logical and necessary the changes seem, or how many people back you up... a casual guild that raids will never become a committed raiding guild without huge pains, for example.

The only way you're going to survive a change like this without lots of drama is by shedding the doubters, the silent borderliners, people who don't like what you're suggesting but feel they have to endure out of loyalty to the guild tag, or endearing memories of what was... or maybe they just lack the sense to quit while they're ahead. They'll stay, secretly brood, and then start spreading malcontent behind your back, which will gain traction if there are hiccups in the transition or if you're human and make mistakes sometimes.

Don't fool yourself. These people are in every guild, and unless the guild's resolve is amazing, they WILL undermine any change you make, create discontent. And they rarely do so openly... they whisper and go behind your back, since they won't risk being singled out and removed if they don't have the sense to quit a guild that's no longer for them.

So don't do it. If you think you can do it better, and it TRULY matters to you enough to take charge, do so by leaving with people who are as passionate as you are and start a new guild. You'll save yourself LOTS of drama.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 7:37PM Graill440 said

leadership role, what a joke. Its a game, you require zero leadership, your a guide in the game that you play day in and day out whether you interact with one aquaintence or 100 in that title. The only thing you require is to be a good game guide, know the mechanics of the fight the devs have forced you to remember and hope others know the fights by rote action as well as you do. Checking gear score, making sure people are there for the fight in no way qualifies you to use that term.

My statement takes the romance out of it doesnt it? One thing the dictionaries need to add is the phrase "real life" since anyone breathing can call themselves a leader.

The term leadership is best left to real life leaders, professionals that deserve that title. I cannot agree with anyone using the term when its game related, i do not, because it simply isnt warranted and it diminishes the term.

*shakes head in wonder*

The Stream Team: Anchors away in ArcheAge!

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 1:00PM