Posted: Oct 19th 2011 6:17PM Joshinu said

I went with Male>Roegadyn>Marauder>Limsa Lominsa
I liked the pirate Roegadyn at the start of the Limsa Lominsa cinematic and Marauder was pretty fun to play and it works well mixing and matching abilities from Lancer and Gladiator (at least from what I can remember from about a year ago). I went with Limsa Lominsa because I absolutely love the art and building design of that area and I love the water so that's what I would do. In fact I might re-instal the game on my system and give it another go till it's no longer free cause I want something to do on my non-raid nights.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 6:19PM (Unverified) said

Male Midlander Hyur, Pugilist in Ul'dah. Not what I chose for my character but at least Ul'dah would give you more people to play with and see.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 6:29PM Khaiser Soze said

Ya ya ya, I typed 60 ilo 50, sue me.

Ive played the game for a year + and thats how much of a lasting impression it made on me that I made that mistake after only quiting play for a couple weeks.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 6:34PM JuliusSeizure said

Female Dunesfolk Pugilist in Ul'dah. The best combo until female Roegadyn arrive.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 7:30PM Resurge said

great.... another one of these CMA's decided by a game "rallying the masses" ..what else is new? Can we please have some of these about games you DONT have articles about EVERY WEEK? Earthrise would have been wonderful ..no one knows a damn thing about that game. I guess that will continue. Way to go out on a limb.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 8:03PM Irem said

@Resurge
The whole point of CMA is that readers choose which game they go with. Sometimes less popular games win, sometimes they don't, it just depends on what people want to see. It's not surprising FFXIV's community might want to see coverage of the game from the perspective of a returning player, because it gives the changes to the game some media attention.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 7:42PM tavtav said

Count yourself lucky you didn't get earthrise.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 7:56PM Pingles said

Just jumped into FF myself a week or two ago. Spent way too much time trying to figure out how to go into combat mode.

So far it feels very claustrophobic. Perhaps its the design of the newbie zones but the way the maps are just locked pathways has me worried.

Like an MMO on rails.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 7:56PM scottsummer said

DO NOT GO to Gridania.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 8:21PM Resurge said

@Irem yea i get that, and tbh i think it's part of the problem. You said "The whole point of CMA is that readers choose which game they go with" ....and that would be awesome, unfortunately it's not just Massively readers, it's massively readers + all the people they play the game with that they can get to come here, make a account and vote. Sooooo ...the bigger games now always win ..lets look at the last year or so ...Warhammer, FF14, RIFT, that's 6 months ...then, before that we had PotBS, Xyson, Wizard 101, Darkfall, and Vanguard.

Anyone noticing the change in direction yet? Before these we had Aion, and SWG ...but without a lot of research i'm just gonna be talking out my rear cause I didnt read it back then.

The point is..lately only the big name games (out of the available selections) win. If you put a AAA title on the list ..IT WINS PERIOD. Indy/niche/small games need not apply ..you won't be spotlighted in this column. Were too bust rehashing the same games as always.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 8:22PM Resurge said

@Resurge not entirely sure why it made that a new post, was supposed to be a reply to earlier comment ..oh well ...still no edit function on this site. Go figure. I probly listed as unverified as well.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 8:59PM JuliusSeizure said

@Resurge

Wut. The only big games in that list in terms of popularity are Wizard 101 and RIFT. If we expand 'big' to mean 'well known' we can add Warhammer and FFXIV. But PotBS, Darkfall and Vanguard? Sure, a lot of people with some interest in MMOs have heard -of- them, and probably know the general gist, but they're not something they'd know much detail about.

In any case, CMAs provide a valuable perspective that's not otherwise present in game coverage. They can tell a lot more about where the fun in a game is and how it actually feels to play than the more abstraction oriented columns and factual news articles.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 9:20PM Irem said

@Resurge
I agree with JuliusSeizure on the perspective CMAs provide. There's no real reason AAA titles -shouldn't- be selected for CMA, and chances are a title that didn't get chosen once will go up for selection again at some point. Their only way to avoid it is -not- to put well-known titles up for selection at all, which as I recall they do from time to time depending on who's in the dunking booth for the week.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 10:36PM Resurge said

@JuliusSeizure i failed to make my point by rushing my response, my point was yes 6months+ ago we had games like Vanguard, Darkfall, PotBS, etc, but recently (last 6 months) all we have had are AAA/big games like RIFT/Warhammer/FF14. Want to see more small games covered, not games we hear about all the time. That's all I'm sayin.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 11:56PM JuliusSeizure said

@Resurge

Yeah, but there's only been three in the last 6 months. That's too small a sample size to make any kind of judgement about.

Besides, once a game is done it's off the list for future ones. The better known games are going to get done sooner or later, so what does it matter when exactly?

In any case, every single time I've seen the poll has been decided by the game's community rallying to vote it up, including when it's a smaller one. It doesn't seem to be about who has the bigger community but who has someone who's best able to motivate their community to act.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 9:16PM Hipster said

Just started playing it last night. Combat is weird. I created a post on mmorpg.com about the combat my first night if you want to read it.

Not quitting after one night though as I always give games a good chance to impress me and even with the most troll-hated games I can find stuff to love and play them for a long while.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 10:09PM gordunk said

The fact that you made a Game of Thrones reference in the class poll made me vote for Lancer. I hope you're happy lol

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 10:15PM (Unverified) said

FFS, not another cat-girl! FFXIV needs moar Roes! Wolf or 'Guard, it doesn't matter, we need more of the big folk.

Posted: Oct 20th 2011 12:10AM (Unverified) said

Never seen a MMO turn around in quality so fast when i first played it it was god awful now its full of win :D

Posted: Oct 20th 2011 12:30AM Laren said

Have fun. Looking forward to what you find.

Please don't forget to comment on the sign up experience with that UK company... I'm not giving my CC number to some random place.