Posted: Oct 19th 2011 1:14PM Deadalon said

CCP have made some horrendous mistakes in the last year and its costing their reputation alot. They have lost the positive public opinion they had as an indie company. Making Dust a PS3 exclusive was just stupid beyond belive - and the price scandal and the overall real money buying power in EVE is draining the game so much atm.

I feel sorry for the ppl that lost their work. Alot of them are fellow Icelanders and Im sad about that. But CCP needs to go back to basics - just like so many gaming companies should be doing these days. There is a recession in the world - and the overpriced structure of many of these companies is beyond belive. And the big giants are leading the way and expecting the players to pay the bill. Thing is - the players already have plenty of other more important bills to pay. Alot more important.

I hope CCP get back on track. Cause they surely need it after a year of disasters.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 1:50PM Lockisezmode said

@(Unverified) Microsoft might be a tyrant maybe when it comes to updating but going with PS3 exclusive was like asking for the project to end up dead in the water. Sometimes you just need to bite the damn bullet and given in if it will help you make a more accessible project. If anything publishing the game on both platforms you could allow players to see how PS3 got updates faster, while being mostly free etc. which would lead people to bitching at Microsoft until they allowed a more flexible structure.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 1:21PM JuliusSeizure said

Hrnngh. I hope this doesn't affect their tabletop and live action products. Those have already been in a bit of decline in output over the last few years, which has been a constant source of worry. It's really hard to tell, since they don't make mention of it and the majority of their writers are freelancers anyway. :\

Posted: Oct 20th 2011 2:30AM Azaetos said

@JuliusSeizure
From what I hear, there has been some of the people at White Wolf who work with the PnP game that have been effected by this as well.

No hard facts on this yet though.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 1:44PM KDolo said

HTFU!

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 3:54PM tooright said

• 1 heart
@KDolo seriously HTFU, who knew werewolves and vampires were such cream puffs.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 1:55PM (Unverified) said

All those bad decisions and spurned players are coming back to haunt them.

2012 is not going to be a good year for EVE or CCP.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 1:57PM Existentialist said

This is sad. I really like CCP but you see what happens when the EVE players vote with their pocket books.

CCP is by and far my favorite MMO company. They have the talent and know-how to make amazing games. EVE is an amazing game, but right now it is stagnant, exactly because of CCP's refocusing of their priorities. CCP decided to focus on other things instead of really beefing up EVE, really fleshing out EVE, giving EVE the proper attention that it deserved, and players (like myself) left because of that.

EVE isn't like other games, it is 8 (I think) years old and it is as if it is a game that launched this year. EVE evolves, and becomes something else again and again, and CCP stopped that evolution for a bit. That is why I left EVE, the game was stagnating. Hybrids needed to be fixed, supercaps needed to be addressed, they could make the game so much better and make it as it was originally intended, to be hard! Instead they sided with the rest of the industry and started making the game soft and forgettable.

I am glad EVE is refocusing, I'm glad they're lighting that hardcore fire again. Make EVE accessible, but not easy. Risk v Reward. Give an experience worth telling stories about, instead of the "Well we were having a huge capital ship fight and one side was losing so they decided to all log off and then it was over. Do you know how huge of a change it is to make agression timers refresh every 15 min after the person has logged off? This changes entire power structures, the changes force projection, this changes politics all around EVE. ONE SIMPLE LITTLE CHANGE. CCP should be making these simple little changes to keep parellel to the true spirit of EVE, we're the hardcore of the hardcore, guys that will spend a year putting together a ship then go risk it in PvP. Market manipulators, scammers, pirates, lock-step navy pilots. For a while CCP was letting down the generators of emergent gameplay.

I guess you could say I'm passionate about EVE, and I'm glad they're saying that they're going to give me my game back.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 2:15PM EuchridEucrow said

So much for the World of Darkness mmo.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 2:29PM (Unverified) said

@Snichy : If EVE is going so strong and development on WoD is spreading them so thin, you hire MORE staff to pick up the slack, not get rid of people. Clearly it is worse than they are making out which is ominous for the future.

Of course it's more ominous. They're just hiding it behind PR words. CCP has a pretty hefty loan due this month, and they've been bleeding sub accounts from Eve Online for the past two years. The company isn't closing, but no one lays off 20% of their workforce when times aren't bad.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 2:35PM Croatoan said

NOOOOOOO!!!! NOT WORLD OF DARKNESS!!! :'(

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 2:42PM (Unverified) said

I like how they layed off all americans.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 5:48PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)
1) Americans are well paid, likely they incur the highest salary costs of all three studios (CCP Atlanta, CCP Iceland, CCP Shanghai)
2) There is lot of software industry in the states, I wouldn't worry about them finding new jobs because of this
3) Atlanta was the studio working on the WoD MMO which is now on hold/extremely slow development, DUST has been announced for next year, while all we have about WoD's release date are wild rumours.

Posted: Oct 23rd 2011 6:08AM jh3141 said

@(Unverified) According to PayScale, median developer salary is $50,000 in Iceland and $59,000 in the US. But Georgia isn't exactly known for being a high-salary state, so I'm going to bet the salaries are pretty similar for both offices.

Posted: Oct 29th 2011 10:55AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) Little known fact: Icelandic law requires 3 months of full pay when someone is laid off, and it can go up if someone's contract included it. I bet you a lot of people have it higher. America, on the other hand, has virtually no employee protection laws.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 2:45PM Nenene said

I guess this is what happens when you try to dictate to players.

I hope things turn around for them now that they've hopefully learned their lesson.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 3:02PM (Unverified) said

Betting on Dust is stupid, their hoping their Eve crowd will play both games. The stupidity is Dust is a first person shooter, and Eve is a strategic game, extremely different game types. Never even bothered to do a case study on gamers, gamer types are liekly not to play certain other game genres. We get used to our interfaces... feel bad for the Eve folks, the ship crash landing into a black hole. I guess this thing has to happen though, it's the only way developers will learn. If your in it for the fast buck, you will lose everything. We want a bigger, better game, focus on quality.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 3:25PM MajorPorpoise said

@(Unverified) I don't think they ever expected the EVE community to play it considering, you know, they never had plans to release it on PC. I'm going to state the obvious here and say that maybe their just gunning after the FPS market like they said they are.

Also, 'gunning'... Yes, pun intended.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 3:03PM SocksForYou said

Even if WoD gets released half-baked I think it's unique enough to be a success, especially since it should cater to an audience that's not going to rip them apart because of bugs or missing features.

I have huge doubts about Dust though and can't imagine how a game like that will flourish on the PS3.

Posted: Oct 19th 2011 3:19PM smg77 said

@SocksForYou
It won't. When they announced Dust was going to be on a console they crippled it...when they announced that it would be a PS3 exclusive they killed it.