Posted: Oct 17th 2011 3:15PM Saker said

Wish it was available here, would love to give it a try, see what they've created.

Posted: Oct 17th 2011 3:40PM Syesta said

IIRC This is being developed by Headlock. I've played two of their previous MMO titles, Emil Chronicle and The Belle Isle, both of which are solid games. Will look forward to this.

Posted: Oct 17th 2011 3:41PM Dunraven said

Looks cool except for the rang rang looking characters...which should draw in the Anime fanbois at least.

Posted: Oct 17th 2011 4:45PM Amaxe said

Is this the same franchise Wizardry from the 1980s (I think originally from Sierra) which was contemporary to the earliest Ultima games? Or is this merely a different game with the same title?

Posted: Oct 17th 2011 6:31PM Space Cobra said

@Amaxe

Yes, it is...well, it's hard to explain.

In Japan, Wizardy took off (much like Ultima did and its derivatives, like DragonQuest) in the 1980's. Thing is, the series never really slowed down. They kept coming out with licensed ports (I remember one for the Super Nintendo and there was one for the PS2 that actually made it to the US shores). They actually had much more series/sequels in Japan over many more media, such as different consoles and PCs, over the intervening years.

As a result of it being accepted and grown in Japan, a few things have changed, notably the art style and company producing these games, but yes, the series is very much alive and has a strong following in Japan.

Posted: Oct 17th 2011 4:56PM Tryptonite said

Hmm permadeath? Intriguing...

I enjoyed Hardcore on Diablo II and other masochistic type scenarios in games (Demon/Dark Souls, Shiren etc) so the idea of permadeath in an MMO definitely has my interest. Anyone have any information about how Wizardry's proposed permadeath system would work?

Posted: Oct 17th 2011 6:34PM Space Cobra said

@Tryptonite

Here's an earlier article with some basics that explains what the Devs hope to do, especially with Permadeath.

Posted: Oct 17th 2011 6:41PM UnknownVoice said

@Tryptonite

To be exact, it involves, a corpse run through dungeon as ghost (normal monsters don't see you, players don't see you, but EVERYTHING is different, there are specific npcs you can only access while dead and you are chased by death itself till you get into your body), then there's also your "soul", with each death it degrades and eventually you won't be able to do corpse runs and perma-die, loosing EVERYTHING you have with your character.

However everything in your storage/warehouse is available for your next character.

Posted: Oct 17th 2011 9:42PM demonlife said

"Eying" ? I thought Massively hired an editor. If not, hire me. I need a job and I can, ahem, eye mistakes like this one!

Posted: Oct 18th 2011 3:38AM GosuSensei said

Permadeath and PK certainly makes this game very unique. You will have to play with people you trust or you may get ganked in a dungeon and lose everything.
I would love to play that game, its at least something different than all the other MMOs which really bore me after playing them for years.

Posted: Oct 18th 2011 5:11AM Nyxsys said

Looking forward to trying this one out; with them aiming for a Europe release somewhere in Q1 2012, I'm hopeful that a Beta will pop up around or just after Christmas.

Going to have a hard time choosing a game to dedicate my time to with all the current ones showing off new developments.