Posted: Oct 15th 2011 7:07PM Nenene said

The Sultana of Ul'dah is a fluffy marshmallow of adorableness. She is cuter than a train full of puppies departing Happy Station on the rainbow railroad on the way to its destination in Sugar Plum City. She is cuter than a entire caravan of Lalafells driving a cute caravan while drinking cuteshakes and talking on their cutepearls.

Ul'dah confirmed for best nation on the strength of the adorableness of its sovereign and the baditude of the leader of the Immortal Flames.

Posted: Oct 16th 2011 4:16AM JuliusSeizure said

@Nenene

I'm pretty sure she's made of the distilled essence of squees.

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 7:28PM Bramen said

Sounds like the game is improving...

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 7:30PM Xo1o said

Exp chains and bonuses for multi pulls are a nice addition. I played a Thief in XI and managing pull frequency in exp parties always kept me entertained, as well as did skillchains.

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 9:34PM mattwo said

I think the thing most people who haven't picked FF14 up yet want to know is: Did the patch finally fix the game?

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 9:37PM mattwo said

Power leveling. I remember the old days of FFXI where efficient grinding was dependent on a max level white mage not in your group to heal everyone. They were called "PLs" but really they were an integral part of gameplay.

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 10:38PM Irem said

@mattwo
They were also the best way to ensure that people could get to 50+ish without knowing what the hell they were supposed to do in a party. :x I did my share of PLing friends on my RDM, but they were all pretty XI-savvy and it was kind of sad to see parties with all of the necessary roles filled wringing their hands and begging for PLs from strangers because they had no idea how to fight mobs without dying without one.

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 10:45PM mattwo said

@Irem Well I did have those rare times where my team knew what it was doing. The biggest problem in teaming in the the time before the last time I played XI (before those books were there to give miniquests) was constantly dying in the dunes before reaching my team.

As a RDM hume I was balanced stat wise and thus incredibly squishy.

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 10:47PM mattwo said

@Irem I mean really do you know how hard it is to avoid argo getting from that area outside of bastok to the prime grinding spots in the dunes?

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 11:38PM Irem said

@mattwo
Aw, but getting aggro was half the fun! Learning how to avoid dying on your way through zones that were way too dangerous for your level was great practice for the twenty million "AGGRO ANYTHING AND DIE" high-end missions later in the game. ;)

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 11:53PM mattwo said

@Irem The...what...now? :$

Posted: Oct 16th 2011 1:18PM Irem said

@mattwo
I remember many of the missions (in CoP especially) having parts where it was in the party's best interest to not aggro at all through certain zones, because doing so could easily result in a wipe. If you weren't very good at Solid Snakeing your way around a zone, even without oils and powders, things like true sight enemies were a much bigger pain. The amount of running around in extremely dangerous zones as a low-level, newbie player taught me a lot about aggro radius and safe navigating, and I used to do stuff like making a game out of getting my level 1 mules to Jeuno without aggroing or dying.

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 11:41PM Irem said

I went ahead and loaded up XIV on my ill-suited computer tonight and rolled a character on Besaid. Holy crap, things have improved so much I could have cried, and I'm only level 5 and getting roughly .02 FPS. It looks like upgrading the dinosaur is going to have to become a priority--I even saw a few RPers!

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 11:54PM mattwo said

@Irem But is the game better to the point where whatever issues it was having before are at least 90% fixed?

Posted: Oct 16th 2011 1:43AM Irem said

@mattwo
The glaring things that turned me, personally, off of it have been mostly fixed. My main issue with the game was always that it felt like a halfassed product of pure hardheadedness, and while I could live with a few little quirks, the sheer number of weird design decisions and problems that nobody would admit were problems made me give up on it, because I could be reasonably sure that even if the dev team -wanted- to fix that stuff, they probably had no idea how to go about it. I mean, they seemed to think everything was hunky-dory until the players expressed dismay, and refused to change it in beta, so there was no reason to expect that things would ever get any better if I stuck with the game.

What I've seen from Yoshida since he took over, though, is that he knows what's wrong with the game, and he knows how to fix it. The little things I've seen in my first few levels with the game back up that impression; the whole starting experience used to feel like it had no idea what to do with a new player. My previous impression of the game was that not even the people behind it knew what the hell we were supposed to be doing, like, "Okay, you're here! ...Go have fun! Yup! Do what? Uh. Kill things? Leves! Yeah, do those too. And crafting!" It didn't come off as sandboxy because the world felt shallow and incomplete to me. In short, the increased care and thought that appears to be going into the revamp, combined with the knowledge that they really do plan to make some drastic changes to ensure that they're not just jury-rigging something unfixable, has made all the difference to me.

Posted: Oct 16th 2011 9:27AM Brin Zalazar said

@mattwo I'd like to add that for me, the things that are lacking are the update to the party system, the update to this linkshell system, and the update to the markets.

The game and players feel so much more excited and there is a lot to do. We've been told that those are coming in the next patch, but to what extent I cant say till they preview it for us. ;)

The real news is version 2.0 scheduled for next October, but we can get to that later. For this of you on the fence the game is going to be free to play until December, and if you don't want to pay by then it might be best to wait for 2.0 :)

Posted: Oct 16th 2011 5:55AM Rhodanum said

@Jasdemi

Those of us that play it enjoy reading about the game. Also, not to be a nitpick, but... 'rip-off' of precisely what, exactly? Of FFXI? Going by *that* logic, EQ II and EQNext are blatant rip-offs of EQ, which is ridiculous. They're sequels.

There are a great many games on the MMO market that might or might not be called rip-off of title X or title Y (it goes with the inherent nature of the genre and gamer expectations) but that's one accusation that can't really be leveraged against FFXIV. Many others, yes, but not that one.

Posted: Oct 16th 2011 7:31AM Rhodanum said

I was among the contingent who was pretty firm on not continuing to play once SE started charging again... but to be honest, I'm much less certain of that right about now -- and it mostly has to do with the changes brought about in 1.19. There are many little improvements of things that used to make me tear my hair out only weeks ago.

I think switching main focus from Gladiator to Pugilist also helped -- I don't know about others, but fights as a Gladiator felt horribly clunky on my end and I never really managed to get as good a grip on the class as I wanted. I'm feeling much more in my element as a Pugilist and will probably put off leveling Gladiator until well after the others.

Either way, I'm liking what they've done so far -- for me, this game's finally started to deliver at least part of the 'fun' element it should have had at launch. Also, I'm quite looking forward to seeing all of their future plans implemented, and I intend to support them with a sub, depending on whether my finances will or won't be in the Pit of Despair in December.

Posted: Oct 16th 2011 2:18PM mattwo said

Meh. I intend to do a full playthrough of FFXI's content at some point after I beat FF3-9 I already beat 1,2, 10, and 10-2.

Posted: Oct 16th 2011 3:00PM (Unverified) said

Can't believe you didn't mention 2.0 at all Eliot. Hate too say it but I'm not coming back until that is done. Early 2013 from the sound of it!