Posted: Oct 15th 2011 8:09AM DaBruuzer said

I love screenshots that are special or extraordinary in some way. I don't take many, but I certainly will snap one when something strikes me as unusual, beautiful, etc.

I remember there was this cool MMO site that used to feature shots from different games at one time. Then they stopped, a few protested to no effect, and life moved on before that dead horse got beat again. Oh well. ;)

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 8:10AM belgeode said

I am definitely a screenshot junkie, between SWG, Flight Simulator X, Sims 2 and 3, Rift, Eve, and Guild Wars, I had to install a whole drive just to store all my pictures. They are photographic memories for me, and often a trail of breadcrumbs for where I have been. I also from time to time use them when I tell stories about my characters' adventures.

I plan on doing the same thing in both SWTOR and Guild Wars 2.

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 8:23AM Bramen said

I take screen shots of funny in game moments. Wouldn't it be nice if we has a column on Massively dedicated to reader screenshots? Man, that would be cool. Could call it One-Shots or something. Hmm...

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 11:45AM nathanb said

@(Unverified)

send your screenshots to Rubi@massively.com

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 9:07AM (Unverified) said

I take a ton of screenshots but rarely show them to anyone because I think I suck at screenshots and they look ugly compared to the beautiful screenshots other people take. Sometimes I don't even hide the UI. I keep them around for my own viewing purposes.

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 11:01AM Dumac said

@(Unverified)
Basically this. I'm very "self conscious" about my screenshots and rarely share, but i do take a lot of them.

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 10:01AM sjet said

ofc... I even have a 300 image size site for it

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 10:21AM FrostPaw said

I try, but usualy when something really great happens I forget I can capture a screenshot of it in time.

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 11:09AM Leandra said

Yes, I'm complete screenshot junkie. For some reason I feel compelled to document almost everything. A brief examination of my screenshots folder shows ~1000 Rift screenshots, ~5000 WoW screenshots... Eeep, okay even I didn't realize it was that bad!

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 11:15AM Ocho said

I love screenshots. Take them all the time, and I've got a nice collection of them. Just like in real life, its nice to have them for memories. :)

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 12:27PM Jeromai said

Yep, I love screenshotting. It's a good way to capture unique memories of a game, and it's something to take with you when you finally leave the game. One can always look back through time with the screenshots folder.

I don't take many -great- presentable screenshots though. I forget to during exciting moments, and often leave the UI in the way. For really special locales, I will take the effort to turn UI off, names off, and stand around for 15 minutes composing the perfect shot (or fifteen), assuming there are no evil mobs wanting to eat my face at the same time.

I did find enough to contribute to *cough* One Shots now and then.

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 12:44PM firestem4 said

I used to take screenshots all the time when I played SWG. I had over 2000 from that game..But any other MMO i've played I really don't bother. I think the most i have from other games are my 5 years of EQ2 and some from VG.

I would say I used to be a screenshot junkie. I love looking back at SWG pics and remembering the fun I had and the friends, the jokes. It all comes back to me because of just how damn many screens I have lol. No other game really has ever had such a big pull to me, so I don't bother much with them.

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 1:21PM Ryn said

The timing on this article is most impressive.

I love screenshots. Especially ones I can use for my desktop wallpaper. I alternate between the different games I play.

It would be cool if there was a site that did feature said screenshots. An I see several comments on here already have a name for such a feature too.

What is this One Shots you guys speak of?

Of course having a feature such as this and then it not catching on and then pulling it from the rotation, and all the protesting about pulling it, would probably just result in a whiny podcast about said feature...

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 1:43PM Poordevil said

I take screens when the game's art work, graphics, lighting are inspiring or impressive. It doesn't have to be cutting edge tech either, the game just has to impress me showing that the artists and devs worked with the tools at hand in an inspiring way. When I feel that way about a game I tend to snap a lot of pictures :)

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 1:44PM Wilhelm2451 said

I have tons of screen shots.

One of my big disappointments was when an old drive died and I lost all of my early EverQuest screen shots.

I now archive my shots off on DVD so I won't lose them.

Playing games that are so visually oriented, screen shots are invaluable memories.

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 2:52PM StClair said

I take screenshots of beautiful vistas in game, or interesting characters I encounter... of past outfits I've worn... and, when I remember, snaps of hitting the level cap.

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 3:02PM Dianoga4 said

I love taking screenshots and some ingame videos. I like taking interesting, cool and beautiful shots from different games. Some games it's just the scenery if it is done well and some is the environments and their complexity. Interesting vehicles or characters, all the stuff others have mentioned. I also like taking some video so that I can look back later and remember certain times in games.

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 3:04PM Raaqa said

I hate pictures IRL, so the same goes for screenshots.

No reason to dwell on old memories when you can make new ones.

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 5:27PM Interitus said

I have tons of screenshots. They vary from funny bugs, amazing views and the always sad game shutting down. When a game is closing I go on a mad spree and try and capture many of the places I enjoyed there.

I never submitted any of these because they often had the UI on, I had never had a platform to share (and don't know). If having no UI wasn't a rule Massively would have seen lots of screenshots from me for their one shots.

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 6:16PM Zyrusticae said

ABSOLUTELY.

I'll take screenshots of beautiful vistas, I'll take screenshots of fascinating lighting situations, I'll take screenshots of crazy character designs (mostly applicable to Champions Online and Aion), I'll take screenshots of just about anything that finds my fancy. I treat it is a fully digital form of photography. Though it's a shame that I can't mess with things like aperture and shutter speed (though perhaps one of these days...), trying to compose great screenshots within the limitations of the game engine is quite a fun activity and/or challenge.

Well, with the caveat that, obviously, I don't take screenshots in the middle of combat as I'm usually too busy trying to kill whatever's trying to kill me first.

My Aion screenshot folder is 1.5 GBs in size, and my Champions Online screenshot folder is nearly 2 GBs. Yes, 2 GBs. Those are JPGs, btw. Current count, in total, is 7,702 screenshots. Haha. Yes, if there is such a thing as a screenshot junkie, I am absolutely a prime example.

Betawatch: September 13 - 19, 2014