Posted: Oct 14th 2011 1:04PM (Unverified) said

I'm not paying them a cent until 2.0 proves itself! They suckered me into buying a collectors edition and I'm still upset at the pile of crap this game was! Don't get me wrong I'll check out 2.0 once its DONE but I'll be damned if I give one more cent then I already have to the game in its current state.

Also I'm in a certain beta and I wish the WOW in space comments would go away because that is VERY off base and must be coming from the uninformed. Love how everyone acts like TOR promised to revolutionize when Bioware never promised that even though some of the things their doing are unique and pretty BA IMHO!

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 1:10PM Space Cobra said

Well, time to stop putting this off and jump back in again before they start charging.

Anyone know if they are going to keep with the one-character-slot per account and a sur-charge if you want new slots or will they open that up more?

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 1:23PM Pingles said

@Space Cobra

Just signed up last week and it is currently just the one slot.

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 1:50PM Irem said

@Space Cobra
They really, really need to get rid of that. FFXI does it, but the climate was a lot different when XI launched. It's one of those things that made me wonder what the hell they were thinking, back when XIV first came out. All of the good things they could have lifted from XI and didn't, but this relic hangs around to turn people off as early as character customization?

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 4:32PM Utakata said

@Irem

I agree. There needs to be a place for many of us altaholics in this game, as well as the focused who one or two anyhow. Or this game is going to continue to struggle significantly. If SE doesn't get this, then they've missed the point in all their changes. And it will likely be for not.

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 11:01AM tchuks said

@Utakata

Remember the key difference between WoW and FFXI (and FFXIV) with regards to alts, in WoW your character is only 1 class, in FFXI your character can be ALL classes.

Most people level an alt to try a different class, but you won't need that if your main can be all the classes you want to be.

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 4:52PM Utakata said

@tchuks

That still doesn't fly. And is a weak excuse that borderlines on a strawman. That is, how does that make a player into OP when he/she has unliimited builds and unlimited character slots? Especially when all other players have the same access and presumabley all builds are balanced. In RIFT for example, Trion has experimented more or less with this concept in their archetypes...with releativley no issues of over-powerment. So this is not really an excuse to have this silly limitation.

Plus from a player point of view and an RP point of view, limitied characters to one slot just plain sucks, no matter what excuses the developers throw at them. And as I mentioned before, this will likely still be no sell if they continue to have this asinine feature. At least here in the west. Just saying.

Posted: Oct 18th 2011 1:39PM Mystal said

@Utakata If alts are that important to you, then pay a buck or two a month extra for those slots. For most people, if they can play every class/profession on a single character, they're more than satisfied to do just that. Not only is it more convenient, but it's much better for the community in general, guilds, role playing, etc.

In FFXI, which had a very similar system, people only made alts (for the most part) in order to list things on different auction houses, or for extra storage/gardening space.

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 1:54PM Valentina said

@Unverified

I totally agree, it's pretty stupid how people act like that, BioWare never said they were revolutionizing anything except for putting the RPG into our MMO. That's "revolutionary" enough as it is, considering we've not been playing genuine mmoRPG's this entire time that the genre has existed. For something to be considered revolutionary, it just has to bring about changes. The changes don't have to be enormous or an enormous overhaul in something, so actually SW:TOR does qualify for that terminology but regardless it's like people were expecting force unleashed mixed with a bioware rpg, and for it to come with a real life speeder that'll send us all to space in real life. The funny thing is, you can't have a MMO that's TRULY action oriented every game that has tried to do that has had to change to a more twitch based system because it doesn't work for a MMO. The ideology these games are using are ideologies that work, that people enjoy and stick with. The more involved you make a MMO the less people are gonna play it in the long run.

AS for XIV, It's pretty surprising to me that they'd charge BEFORE 2.0, I'll never play this game as it's probably never gonna be worth it considering all the new titles coming out over the next two years. I really want an amazing FF mmo, but they screwed up big time with this one and because of that I doubt we'll ever see another one.

Posted: Oct 20th 2011 12:47AM Alex Oglitchkin said

@Valentina I think they are fishing to see if 2.0 is even gonna be worth the effort.

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 2:14PM Nhoj1983 said

umm... I'm not going to pay more for this game until it's ready... that may be at 2.0... or even later. I think it rather silly for them to charge until that day. we've already paid and while I'm excited about all the updates coming I may not be likely to pay for what amounts to an Alpha. I am totally behind a new and improved ffxiv but making me pay within the next couple months doesn't make me happy. It's not that good yet.

Posted: Oct 18th 2011 1:35PM Mystal said

@Nhoj1983 Yea I think they're going to see their servers dwindle down to nothing if they start charging before 2.0. They really need to get the new systems in, give existing customers a week or two to try them out, THEN start charging.

Otherwise there's going to be no one around to spread the world about the new changes, since there are so few players as it is.

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 2:33PM Nhoj1983 said

sorry for the double post.. just got done reading the detailed pdf of what they plan for the future.. OMG... housing or player estates.. graphical overhaul.. player made ui mods.. totally new ui.. well.. a lot of these changes won't be around for months or even possibly a couple years.. but I love what I see here. I'll be dinking around checking out the changes as they come here and there... finally it's feeling like a ff game. They weren't kidding when they said they were making a whole new game...

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 3:15PM Audacious said

The lack of concept art for the alleged new races has me wary, and the subscription fee being instated months before Square Enix itself admits the game will be any good doesn't help its case any.

Maybe in 2014.

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 4:20PM Nenene said

Holy freaking crap! Amazing!

Yoshi-P for President of Awesome! Wada, get this man a steak, a beer, and bevy of his preference of attractive men/women tout suite!

When this goes through, please accept all of my money!

Posted: Oct 16th 2011 4:08AM ThePeon25 said

not in mu opinion the battle is sluggish and slow. there are more bugs than I can count on my both hands and feet. no go finding party system.

Well I can name a at least 50 more stuff that they need to fix before I could even call it a game but the Combat is the biggest thing they should fix I like the game so far, but the combat is slow and sluggish it´s just sucks so hard I get bored and don´t wanna play for more than 40 min a day.

If u like it and wanna pay for it fine with me but I'm not it is my cash I worked hard for if they want a bit of it they have to work there ass of 2.

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 11:27PM StBlackjack said

From what I understand, everything you experience story wise will be gone once 2.0 hits. So for all you people who are OH NOES GONNA CANCEL, you're potentially missing out on story and events you'll never have the chance to repeat.

Again, this is just from what I can gather going through all the materials they've released. I could be dead wrong! (Hint: look at the timeline document.)

Posted: Oct 16th 2011 3:33PM meda said

how did this game fail, rushed release I guess? sad having a budget that big and a lore that nice and failing. amazing.

Posted: Oct 18th 2011 1:33PM Mystal said

@meda

It wasn't just rushed, it was incompetent on a profound level. Unless you had a chance to play at the end of beta/start of launch there's just no way to describe everything that was terrible about it. It's easier to list what was good about it:

1) Graphics looked sweet (but even the highest end systems couldn't run it smoothly)
2) Music was pretty good.
3) Crafting/gathering mini games were pretty good.

That's it, in a nut shell. Everything else, from the interface to combat, to content (there was none), to balance, was really bad. They've basically fixed a lot of the technical issues and addressed some quality of life issues as well, but the core of the game won't be "fixed" until 2.0 or later.