Posted: Oct 14th 2011 6:38PM Pingles said

I recently got an email that my SOE account had some changes made.

Peculiar and worrisome, since I am not playing any SOE games (not since Free Realms long ago).

I immediately went and changed my password.

I wonder if I was part of this one.

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 6:43PM Syesta said

Again, this wasn't a hack.
Brute force of ID/PWs into PSN/SOE, and Sony detected it.

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 6:57PM stealthrider said

Brute-forcing dormant accounts hardly qualifies as a large-scale hacking operation, especially not when compared to the major service outage.

Blaming SOE for this--whatever it is--is just ridiculous.

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 7:18PM Resident Evil 6 Puppy Madness said

Oh shit this is my first time here. Every things green and weird. I'm scared.

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 8:35PM augustgrace said

• 1 heart
"It's also likely that the problem didn't stem from compromised Sony network data."

Isn't this the same sort of denial that was offered last time before they finally had to fess up?

I'm not saying that Sony was hacked again, but given their track record and past sloppiness its rather strange that people are so quick to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 1:59PM sonyforlife said

@augustgrace why cant they make it so that the comments on Joystiq fade when they have been downvoted or even hidden?

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 5:23PM Sukiyaki said

@sonyforlife You wouldn't want this website to end up like YouTube, where less than a handful of Wow"fans" with multiple dozen sockpuppetaccounts spend semiprofessional time and effort, to censor all discussion, questions and comments posted on other major MMORPGs news and trailer videos (even the official game channels) and only leave negative comments, trolling and hateful remarks towards WoWs competition remaining visible to reader and plant own grossly negative and hateful remarks on multiple accounts, if no ones posting anything "negative enough".
Something continuing not just over the past few months, always moving over to newly released important videos while covering popular and renown videos and news all over the time, jumping from one game to another whenever one is building up some larger attention due to i.e. some major content update or expansion coming up and damage the games reputation professionally and scare away interested gamer.

Posted: Oct 16th 2011 8:20PM augustgrace said

@augustgrace

Seems I'm the only one with healthy caution, or that noticed that Sony's stance on this went from, "it wasn't us", to "it probably wasn't us," within a couple days.

I didn't even claim that Sony was at fault here, merely pointed out that it was reckless for people to so quickly drop their guard and assume Sony is on the ball, and I'm attacked.

When did Sony get fanbois?

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 8:46PM (Unverified) said

None of my family's (many) accounts were affected by this. Nothing was locked.

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 4:02AM ChiTownRuler23 said

Like the new layout color, greens my shit.

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 6:08PM Daemodand said

Brute force is a hacking method. Some people define "hack" too narrowly. If something is done to allow unauthorized access to user accounts, that "something" is hacking by definition.

Posted: Oct 16th 2011 11:33AM Ref Minor said

Probably some people still pissed at the NGE

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM