Posted: Oct 14th 2011 1:05AM Kaahn Stewart said

Oh fantastic. They've finally admitted they're instating a Pay-to-Win formula.

*sigh* And here I was, almost excited to give this game a try again.

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 1:17AM Firix said

@Kaahn Stewart Its not pay to win. The ships arent that much better, and if you want to not spend any money at all, you need only trade Dilithium for C-Points and bam, free C-store ship.

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 1:48AM Faith said

@Kaahn Stewart

Yep, it definitely sounds like Pay to Win, especially if you're a fan of PvP where every little stat and skill is a huge advantage.

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 3:05AM bobfish said

@Kaahn Stewart

The idea is to make you subscribe, as subscribers get free C-Store points each more.

It is similiar to LOTROs system, but in LOTRO they are more subtle in they sell runes (item upgrade stuff), here they are more obvious about the selling of power.

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 3:49AM smartstep said

@Kaahn Stewart

Surprised much? You should not. That's f2p / freemium system for you. That's what they are about. Cash shop sales. What sells best? Advantage and p2w.

@bobfish

Well there is more and more advantage items with each update in Lotro.

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 5:38AM (Unverified) said

@Faith
Breaking News!!!

Not everyone is a PvPer!

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 8:35AM Yellowdancer said

@smartstep

This is the dark side of F2P. There are games that don't sell power, though. I prefer not to lump them all together.

CO sells power so we shouldn't be shocked that this game would do the same.

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 8:07PM Faith said

@(Unverified)

"Breaking News!!!

Not everyone is a PvPer! "

If you read my post, you would have saw that I even said "especially /IF/ you were". Of course not everyone is a PvPer, just like not everyone is intelligent, as you have proven for us.

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 3:10AM stealthrider said

Wait, since when are they per-account and not per-character?

WIll those that purchased per-character ships be compensated for this change? 'Cause this is a pretty big deal.

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 5:40AM (Unverified) said

@stealthrider

I've been able to claim the Rhode Island on all of my characters that are LC.

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 4:46AM Verus said

I prefer the way they do it in world of tanks where the premium tanks you can buy are slightly inferior to the ones you can slowly grind and buy.

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 10:00AM heerobya said

@Yukon Sam

Amen.

"What?!? I am not as good paying 0.00$ as someone who drops money on the game?"

DUH

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 12:20PM Equillian said

@Yukon Sam

Ok seriously - You pay NOTHING and want to expect the world. I like to know where I stand with a game so I'm personally a fan of the subscription model.

With a pay 2 win setup, at least you know what you're getting. Game companies go "Here, you get this for that." no secrets in currency exchange, or crap like that. The way they have it set up as I read it seems REALLY fair. You wann go farm for hours and hours, be my guest, but I personally got far more cash than I do time. I like to know what I'm getting though. You pay nothing and farm dilithium for me. I'll give you all the CStore points you can handel ;)

STO, before F2P WAS Sub+Pay2Win. Don't act like your all suprised now.

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 8:12PM Faith said

@dudemanjac

Maybe the people complaining already HAVE spent money on the game? Maybe they already did pay full price for this game?

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 1:48AM dudemanjac said

@Faith
Don't know what happened to my post, but whatever.

My point is that ppl are expecting to get a completely full game without having to pay a dime, but are complaining that ppl who pay are going to be able to skip past the grindy parts that you would have to go through in any other game subscription or no. If dropping a few buck on a f2p game to get a slightly slicker ship is too much for you, too bad.

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 8:31PM Yukon Sam said

Zapped post aside, if subscribers and cash shop customers don't have MAJOR advantages, an FTP game won't survive. If there's no incentive to spend, spend, spend, then there's no revenue stream and no game.

There is such a thing as a free lunch, but it ain't steak and lobster.

Posted: Nov 20th 2011 2:27AM lxtbattery said