Posted: Oct 13th 2011 12:15PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
Inb4 Ren54 hate....

I hope this game does well for the SWTOR fans for a couple of reasons. One, I hate seeing games fail. Two, I don't want you guys in GW2. Three, WoW needs competition. While this isn't the game for me, I hope it turns out better than I fear it will.

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 1:01PM Lenn said

@(Unverified) I've been playing Guild Wars for years and fully intend to enjoy the hell out of GW2 as well. Also, I love Star Wars and have TOR preordered. You want to take this outside?

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 1:10PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@Lenn

There was a thread in the official SWTOR forums a few days ago talking about GW2. I say that but the ignorance and hatred they had for GW2 was amazing. Someone that tried to help inform people and post links to relevant information got infracted for it and his post deleted. They were passing around misinformation and patting themselves on the back for being ignorant and hating a game. I don't want to play a game with people like that, thanks.

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 1:29PM Seldra said

@(Unverified)
That happens for every fanbase in mmos, just roll your eyes and move on. Or stay and laugh, either way you make good points. Still I think GW2 will get its lions share of the douchebags. As is the GW1 community is getting worse day by day these now.

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 1:34PM Lenn said

@(Unverified) @(Unverified) To be fair, the BW mods delete/lock any off-topic discussions, especially the ones that tend to get very heated, as these TOR vs GW2 debates usually do.

I agree with one of the people below: this whole thing is ridiculous. Why the hell can't a man just look forward to and enjoy two different games?

Besides, everyone knows only those that play WoW are truly evil. I should know. I played it for five years.

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 1:39PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) Well, to bad, because those people are everywhere, and you've ironically managed to make yourself one of them. By generalizing SWTOR players around a bunch of forum trolls and saying you don't want them in your community, you've become no better.

First of all, a forum is an extremely poor metric for gauging the general attitude of a community. Forums are always cesspits, and the bigger they are, the worse they are. There may be nice forums out there, but generally they aren't supporting as many users as the TOR forums.

Secondly, as I said, you are always going to have those types of people. They don't come from one community. SWTOR isn't a hive of those type of people. Those people make up a percentage of all groups, and will certainly be present in Guild Wars 2.

While I can understand the sentiment, misguided as it may be, you've just managed to offend a whole group of people who plan to enjoy both TOR and GW2, as evidenced by the downvoting of your comment. And you did it by openning your post calling out another troll, too.

Would you like some irony cake with your irony juice?

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 1:58PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
@Lenn

Just be grateful Lucas Arts does not have the ability to cancel GW2, as it did SWG. TOR (and apparently its fans) does not like competition.

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 2:19PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) SWG was in no way competition with the few thousands that were still playing.
Thinking anything else is just delusional and quite frankly hilarious.

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 4:46PM Clemalum07 said

@(Unverified) using the loud minority that posts on the forums to judge an entire player base.....

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 5:30PM hereafter said

@(Unverified)

People on the TOR forums hate GW2 fans because for a time, a bunch of them would come on and make these big posts about "Why I think GW2 is awesome and TOR is lame" and it was all just personal opinion masquerading as inarguable fact. It was fanboys trying to berate the fans of another game on their home turf and it was of course met with hostility.

I can't stand when people do that.

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 12:18PM Mtor said

• Half a heart
Sounds like TOR will be a very polished, smooth and completely boring game. Another McMMO coming our way.

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 12:48PM Link064 said

@Mtor
I'm curious how you came to that conclusion from the article. I understand the polished and smooth parts, but how does that indicate future level of interest? Also, could you define McMMO in specific terms?

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 1:21PM Mtor said

• Half a heart
@Link064 If you polish and tweak too much based on player statistics you run the risk of making your game predictable and soulless. Some anomalies and "bugs" are cool.

Do developers really need to track and adjust their game based on how many times a retard falls of a cliff in a certain zone? Some of this stuff seems like overkill and I'm sure it will reflect in game. It looks like it already is since one of the most common complaints from reviewers is how lifeless and generic the world feels.

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 1:23PM Sean D said

• Half a heart
@Link064

I'm with Mtor on this one. The quality of the game, as assessed by such things as the lack of bugs at release, will no doubt be high. Button-mashing combat is boring, however. Railroads are boring as well and from what I've heard, the personal storylines, although in-depth and well-written, are railroads. Killing ten rats is boring. Stationary, unmotivated and uninvolved NPC dolls are boring.

I'm a veteran MMO gamer, though, having played MMOs since their inception and I'm waiting for developers to move on from 'refining' old methodologies to experimenting with new ones.

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 2:22PM (Unverified) said

@Mtor WoW showed clearly that players preferred smooth gameplay above the games that went before with a multitude of rough edges and anomalies and bugs.

As for how people regard the game, if you're one of those burnouts who can't enjoy themepark MMO's anymore then yes, SWTOR isn't for you. Reviews however show that actually the majority of players seemed to enjoy themselves very much.

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 3:29PM Space Cobra said

@Mtor @Sean D

Wha?

Did you even read the whole article? Like the last sentence?

"In the end, though, he said all the tools in the world can't help if you don't play your own game. And in some cases, just directly asking testers is easier than digging into metrics -- and might yield just as valuable information. "

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 3:32PM Space Cobra said

@Space Cobra

I mean, I *do* agree with your basic assumption, gents, that Metrics ain't everything, but so does Bioware!

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 4:08PM (Unverified) said

@Link064

'Also, could you define McMMO in specific terms?'

Two all-elitist patties, special purple sauce, loot, chests, pvp, bosses on a hardcore raid bun.

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 5:48PM Infestimus said

@(Unverified) That is hilarious, might have to add that to some of my signatures around the interwebz.

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 8:02PM Sean D said

@Space Cobra

I'll be interested to read what you think about the game after you've played it for a month or so.