Posted: Oct 12th 2011 4:59PM StringBoi said

Of course, everyone will now think its the same people messing around with SOE.....lets start a huuuuuge mess online and see where this goes!! These theories from everyone are fun to watch (grabs popcorn).

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 5:02PM Nandini said

Please note that in an apparently unrelated incident, the Casual Stroll to Mordor site itself has been infected a few times today. Use appropriate caution.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 5:02PM Seffrid said

I've given up on logging into the game as well, impossibly slow.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 5:21PM Interitus said

Well that's poor timing I was going to play today.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 5:28PM Lenn said

@Interitus It's the forums, not the game. I was playing when this news was posted.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 5:40PM hami83 said

Best part is it's a massive pain to begin with to get your credit card info taken off your turbine account. There is no way other than calling them and proving you are the card holder.

stupid stupid stupid.

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 5:56PM KurganNazzir said

@hami83 Actually, it's quite easy. I got it done by sending them a message and the card information was removed in less than 48hrs. There's a form you fill out on one of the sites (under help somewhere), then they send you an email asking for some information, you send it back, and the card is removed. At least, that was my experience not long ago.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 11:37PM ElfLove said

@Crell

Anyone know of an English article, or has this hit the English press yet?

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 1:34AM Nandini said

@ElfLove That's just a Dutch translation of (and some speculation on) the original German post on the lotroommunity.com forums. There are screenshots in that article, however, that have been removed from the forum post, and those are what are most interesting.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 6:45PM mmogaddict said

Turbine have the worst security out there. I have around 10 different subs going at any one time and the only account I've ever had hacked in over 15 years was a LotRO one about a year ago. Funny thing was I hadn't even used it for about six months prior (it was a lifetime account) so the only way for them to have gotten in was a hole in Turbine.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 7:54PM tooright said

• Half a heart
How bout that F2P conversion?

Did you guys just get what you paid for?

Oh yeah !

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 8:12PM (Unverified) said

And, of course, Turbine won't admit to any hacks, even if accounts were compromised.

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 1:13AM Knuxson said

@(Unverified) They may not be saying anything now but if accounts were compromised we will hear about it. In most states a company whose data has been breached is required to notify those affected by the breach within a certain amount of time (usually within a few days time if I remember correctly).

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 11:24AM Nandini said

@Knuxson In the United States, laws regarding data breaches and notification are based on where the customer lives (not where the company is incorporated or operates), so Turbine has to deal with the different legal requirements of dozens of state laws.

Most state laws require disclosure to the customer in writing "as soon as is practical" unless it would impede a law enforcement investigation. On the other extreme, where I live, any company doing business with me has up to 45 days to disclose a data breach.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 9:31PM stephen09181981 said

yea not sure i trust casual stroll to mordor right now

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 9:47PM MadBDShimmer said

• Half a heart
Good I hope they get screwed. This game depresses me. I can never find people to play with at the hours I play and I'm not switching servers. They should just scale the raids and let people actually accomplish something. Turbine sucks. I hope they total get hit hard for this and I don't care what people think about that. The devs have no sympathy and this game hardly crowded with players EVER. Three servers and I'm not moving again.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 10:17PM Nandini said

@MadBDShimmer

You do realize, don't you, that even though this might hurt Turbine in the short term, the ones who will really get screwed by it are the individual players.

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 1:37AM Lenn said

@MadBDShimmer On behalf of all the people who do enjoy the game and might be affected by this, I thank you for your sociopathic attitude.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 11:16PM Tovrin said

For the love of all that's holy! Why the hell can't they implement authenticators?!

One Shots: Ignore physics and jump already!

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 10:00AM