Posted: Oct 12th 2011 4:49PM (Unverified) said

@Balraw

In all fairness, if anyone assumed that the spider would be obtainable in-game, it was only based on the fact that every other mount was obtainable in this way. Basing an assumption on every other update with no word otherwise from Trion prior to 1.5 was not that far-fetched. I like the game a lot, have been playing since pre-launch but Trion has had no trouble firing up the PR machine until suddenly there's a microtransaction on the main page.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 5:45PM Balraw said

@(Unverified) Well that's not entirely true as the original turtle mount isn't obtainable in game and can only be had by buying the original CE. Re-skinned versions because available in game at a later date.

If I was to make a guess I would put money on seeing a re-skinned spider at some point in the future as a world event/raid or dungeon reward. Then we will have to put up with all the people who purchased this one complaining about wasting their money I expect.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 2:24PM (Unverified) said

is there a way in game to get the 24 slot backpack or the personal banker?

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 2:37PM real65rcncom said

@(Unverified) yes, you buy the original CE which is still on sale in their cash sh.. oh wait.. UPGRADE shop.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 3:04PM (Unverified) said

@real65rcncom so the only way to get those is to buy an "upgrade"?

that sucks then, they already went to the buy in game advantages part of the slippery slope =(

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 3:11PM real65rcncom said

@(Unverified)

that's the official page with micro prices

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 2:24PM NeoWolfen said

Its hardly a sign of WOE, they cold the collectors edition upgrade for a £5 and they are selling this as an upgrade too, whats the big deal many companies have offered the same sort of little upgrades for thier MMO's. It does not necessarily equate to DOOM.

RIFtTis packed all the time pretty much every EU server is at Mid of High capacity during some part of a 24 hours period and subscriptions are pretty cheap anyway, so they are hardly hurting financially or we wouldnt be seeing new content with such regularity anyway.

Cant this just be a good thing, a nice little optional incentive for folks? and if more microtransactions come then big woop they are only selling mounts, cosmetics are long cooldown summonables none of which is in anyway game breaking.

More power to them I say I hope they bring out more, I know I keep buying them.

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 1:37AM avaloner said

@NeoWolfen
The diffrance is people like to Troll RIFT (or any MMO realy). Most of these people have only ever played WOW and compare everything to it, Basicaly there sole motivation in commenting on a game they don't even play is to shout stuff like this game fails [insert reason here] and is clearly a WOW clone because of [insert reason here].

Take a look at that real65, or whatever his name is. He does not even play the game anymore and yet hes posting stuff here over and over to bait RIFT fan bois.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 2:30PM (Unverified) said

Who cares...$10 for three items is a hell of a deal compared to WoW's $25 Sparkle Pony. Trion is releasing content patches at a rate no one else can match, got to pay for the developers some how.

Just another example of Trion copying something from WoW and doing it better.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 2:56PM Grendel said

@(Unverified) This!

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 6:51PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

Preach it, brother. I'm not in Rift right now, but I'd much rather buy the Ashes of History upgrade for $10 than drop $25 on a mount.

Posted: Oct 14th 2011 12:36AM Valkesh said

@(Unverified)

Simply selling you a larger chunk of bullshit for less money doesn't change what you're being fed.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 2:59PM Cirocco said

Hah, I was wondering where all those spider mounts were coming from. And now I know. Looks good, especially for those waiting on the sideline wanting to jump into the game with some nice incentives.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 3:01PM J45neoboy said

@Ren54

I never thought I would ever hear this from you...

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 3:03PM real65rcncom said

@J45neoboy
he's actually taking it better than the Rift community 'ambassadors'.

those guys are defend this micro and saying it isn't one like they are trying to get a job at Trion or someth... hey wait!

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 3:16PM ndessell said

damn you trion, stop abusing my cheap swag lust.
/tossmoney

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 3:32PM Silverel said

I'm throwing money at them for this. Can't help it, that spider is too goddamn awesome and being able to access your bank remotely is making me salivate just thinking about it.

It's not a cash shop until it exists in-game, imo. There's nothing in here that I have to buy on a recurring basis to make my gameplay worthwhile. There's no XP boosters, stat boosters, $$ boosters, etc. I'm not renting my mount/weapon/armor/reproductive organ for X hours. Nothing is popping up in my face telling me to unlock content X, Y, or Z. There's no limited time offers where i can buy 50 woozles for the low price of 45 woozles on login. I don't have to buy cash based resurrection powder to remove some godawful debuff when I repair my soul.

Look, there's things that we high and mighty P2P players look at as MT's or cash shops, and vomit in our mouth a little that people actually support that kind of game by forking over money. What Rift is doing with these little upgrade packs isn't even CLOSE to what we consider problems with the industry.

Nice trolling.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 3:40PM Protheus said

I wanted the mount and I got the mount and the banker. For me it is a choice - you get it you just let is pass. Is this the start of a cach shop - in my opinion it is.

if they have nice items at a reasonable price I will get it - if they offer a mount at 25 euro I will pass. For me it has to be affordable compared to the sub I am paying.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 3:54PM real65rcncom said

@Ren54 I already know this was a micro. I already said they'd do something like this over a month ago because everyone else is doing it or going to. There is no way Rift can exist on an island.. they aren't big enough and don't actually have the sub spread to do it. That said, I don't have any personal problem with micros overall.

Trion has no choice but to micro now, get the base used to it early by "renaming" it (like they did with server merges saying 'trials') in order to survive. If anything, Trion is the perfect company to do it due to the people who like the actual company and Hartsmann more than they like the game. They are more loyal to that idea of a company loving them than they are having fun in Rift I think.

Rift doesn't charge for transfers and you can do them as much as you like. Do you know how much moola Trion pissed down the drain with that publicity stunt forever? They can never charge for them now no matter what or they look desperate. So that's money gone forever possibly hundreds of thousands.

Then you look at all the sub deals where they are getting like $8-9 month from locked in deals. That's chicken feed with no cash shop to back it up like in other games honestly.

Then add on the cost of their other games Trion has to pay for and push out still (defiance, end of nation) and that's a crapload of cash they need. The servers aren't rising, they are dropping or at best holding still. This is why Trion can't even now give back $10 and retro CE holders even if they wanted to. It may only be 200k, but it's still money.

without the typical things most other mmos charge for like xfers, ponies, sex changes, wardrobes, etc there is just too much money Rift loses out on to stay solvent as other games approach. That's why i read elsewhere it's going to be Trion Credits in their shop so they can FTP all their games.

makes sense to me.. if you can't beat em..

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 4:30PM Opowa said

Also its pretty neat that the upgrade also extends to your whole account not just 1 toon like other MMO's only affect the toon your buying it on not the whole account.

And the thing about Tor is that it was a real sad let down they want to cancel Swg in place of when Tor comes out. If there all for Starwars type games why not have both up Swg did good for 8 years, why not just let it run on F2p and have a cash shop or something like most free games do. They know they have the power to keep Swg up but just don't want to spend the extra time working on both games at once.