Posted: Oct 12th 2011 3:52PM Scarecrowe said

@Ren54
While he's apparently very unpopular, I think most of Ren's points are very valid. One thing to remember is that Rift didn't launch with MTs (other than Collector's Edition). I think it's quite possible that SWTOR will have some in it at some point post-launch as well -- heck, I think one of the VPs even said as much a few years back.

On the topic of zone-re-use, I play Rift and the only zones I ever re-visit are the ones that contain Meridian and Sanctum. So that's pretty much a wash with what SWTOR is offering. To contradict Ren on the TOR companion customization, I believe that you can change their basic look (to a degree) as well as upgrading some of their armor/weapons. Of course for Rift, I can't change the look of any of my companions. (this doesn't bother me, just saying)

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 4:15PM (Unverified) said

@Ren54

Sigh. I dont know why I bother and DAMN it why does it keep showing me as unverified when im logged in! Im going to hit on the more debated points. Ill leave your numbering system.

2. After you pick your advanced class to reset the points it cost a holy crap ton and will progressively get higher and higher to do, so no on the spot switching roles, no dual spec

This is a good thing! The advanced classes give us more classes than the default 8. A sorceror and Assassin play completely different from one another. You can respec within your Adv. Class. A sorceror has 3 trees. They all play differently. Sure , its not Rift's soul system which I loved actually. To be honest though, Rift is really FOTM and you only use 1-2 souls, maybe 3 with your PvP build.

3. Single server war fronts. Huttball is specifically designed to mask the fact that this is a failure on Biowares part. This idea works only if every server is high pop and has 50/50% balance..good luck

Im grateful for this. X-Server has ruined WoW's community. There is no community left. You dont even know who you play with anymore. In vanilla and TBC, I knew everyone on my side damned near. I sit in org on my current server a while back when I played and I didnt recognize anyone at all if they werent in my guild. X-Server was terrible to put in, period.

4. The world is static and very similar to WoW's dead world where once you finish a zone there is little to no reason to actually go back.

Hate to tell you, but so is Rift's world. Sure , these so called "dynamic" rifts spawn, but they have set spawns. They happen at regular intervals. They are no different than world bosses like kazzak or the emerald dragons lol from vanilla.

5. Single server LFG in a trinity class model has been proven time and time again to be complete failure.

Ever heard of a guild? I know you probably rub everyone the wrong way, but make friends that can stomach you. Get to know people. Grouping with different players every single pug really hurts th game and destroys player accountability for their actions.

6. Going back to soul. In Rift if they nerf or buff a class, then you can respec very easily. Biowares system only works if they never change anything and you are a fool to believe they will not have FOTM classes.

They will have FOTM classes like EVERY MMO, including Rift. Ranged Warrior on release anyone? Every game has them. Deal with it.

7. The damage modifiers in Beta literally make no sense. Your range at lvl 14 alone is between 1 and 1,000 if you crit. That is level 14

Beta is beta amirite? They have aknowledged that the modifiers are constantly changing and will be adjusted all the way to launch. I cant believe people cry about this.

8. The UI can not be customized so you are stuck with something that looks like a mix of a arcade UI and WoW standard UI

If they introduced the UI Scaling WoW has and other games have, the UI would be fine. They will add in UI customization later. They have confirmed this. UI customization isnt ground breaking for your run of the mill MMO player.

9. Raid content in the game on release date is only a 16man raid with 5 bosses. Yes over 100+ million dollars invested and they release with the same content Rift had on launch date.

WoW had one raid upon release. Sure they patched in another shortly after. That raid lasted months and was perfectly fine while it lasted.

10. No day/night cycles

Who cares?

11. No swimming. Only other MMO I have seen released since 2006 that has not had this

Who cares? OH NOES. THE GAME WONT SELL! I CANT SWIMZ!?!?!
Jesus kid.

12. Art style is designed for a much younger audience

Are you serious with this? Its designed to operatate on a much more broader range of PCs. It has nothing to do with an age bracket.

13. Combat is not fluid and is extremely twitchy and non responsive

You are crazy. TORs combat feels a lot more smooth than Rifts does for damned sure.

14. After the dialogue the quest have no depth and are reduced to gather x or get y quest.

Did you even test the game. All gather or kill quests are relegated to BONUS quests for the majority. Rift's questing cant hold a candle to TORs. Sorry. Anyone who has played the beta of TOR AND played Rift for any extended amount of time would no this, no matter which koolaid you are drinking.

15. While the zones look open and expansive they are actually very one way and you are not encourage to go off the beaten path.

You leveled to 10 and don't lie lol. Maybe you got to the capital world. I just spent days running around Alderaan exploring. Its not Final Fantasy 13. You can explore where you want to. Quests take you into almost every part of the map, but there is tons of exploring. How many datacrons did you find? Thought so.

16. ToR fans have made a cardinal mistake in hyping this game. You have convince people that it is DAoC 2.0 with RvR that works the same way in a two faction game.

Sigh.

17. The mobs seem to have no response to you in most cases. You can literally stand there two feet away from a mob and fire away with no recoil may I add and not aggro anything.

You. are. officially. on. DRUGS.

Mobs react. They dive back behind things and take cover. Name me one game where mobs do this? The TOR mobs actually have pretty smart AI. What does Rift have? Nothing.

18. There are only 17 zones. Bioware is calling them worlds, but that is to make it seem bigger then it really is and when you break it does the worlds are just zones that you can not travel too.

After the first 2 planets, the worlds get HUGE. Id say 1 planet = 2-3 WoW zones in terms of size. The planets are plenty big enough and the game world is pretty immersive.

19. The companions have no customization options at all and are very generic

To begin with, tell me which other MMO even has companions. Thats right. None. Zero. Secondly, you didnt play anywhere close to a new build. Im guessing you played a build 4-5 months ago which was alpha 2 at the time. You can customize the companions pretty well now with both armor and the companion's appearance.

20. Knowing EA expect transfers to cost 25$, so have fun paying to get off a what will become a dead server.

QQ. Do you know why Rift offers free server x-fers? Because the only other option they had at the time was to close servers and force transfers, which would have given them bad press. They overrated their game tremendously and put out waaaaaaaaay too many servers and a majority of them were dead. Here ya go buddy. Some threads from your precious game.

The last thread is probably the best. You can search the forums and find hundreds of posts asking for mergers.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 4:27PM fallwind said

@(Unverified) gods please dont merge servers! the capital cities are already so packed on every one I've been to that if people don't dismount you often have trouble finding the NPC to click on.

don't make it worse

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 4:49PM (Unverified) said

@pmoney

O rly?

And the vendor that you buy with the CE is not a microtransaction? For $150, it better have some sweet stuff on that vendor, lol.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 4:56PM Jwheeler said

@Ren54

Coming from the guy who acts like he is in the business and talks the talk without walking the walk.

I'd rather listen to a monkey screaming its head off than you spouting your "knowledgeable" information. Leave it to knowledge worker who are in the market and get paid to analysis business products and models rather than the guy who trolls the articles on a website making unconfirmed/bias facts and remarks.

Just saying. Get more bang for your buck with actual analysts versus trollers on creditable information.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 5:09PM (Unverified) said

@real65rcncom

It's not really a microtransaction since the ability to UPGRADE to the CE has been there since March. Why are people bringing all this out now? They were going to make the Spider mount available to the Canadian CE but since so many people started complaining they wanted the Spider mount, they made it $10 Upgrade JUST LIKE the original was always there for a $10 Upgrade.

What's the difference? Oh, because they are having you pay another $10 on top of it to get the new CE rewards.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 5:34PM (Unverified) said

@Jwheeler

The kid didn't even test past level 10. I know this for a fact. He has absolutely zero first hand knowledge and he doesnt know shit about the game in its current form lol.

He is basing his info off an alpha test he was in 6 months ago lol.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 5:48PM ChaosInc said

@Skiim
Because a single person can have multiple gmail emails. Makes them feel like they have friends.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 6:41PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

God I wish this thing would stop showing me as Unverified. WoW Insider, Endgadget, Joystiq, it's all good. But Massively? No, I'm unconfirmed. Whatever.

You sir, you are my new freaking hero. Good job.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 2:17PM moiax said

Trion has been doing a wonderful job at making me feel like a complete sucker for buying the CE.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 2:21PM J45neoboy said

@moiax

Same here. I will most likely not be buying Defiance when it comes out...if it comes out.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 2:23PM Seldra said

@moiax

Don't feel too bad about it, just goes to show that CEs in general aren't worth buying.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 2:36PM fallwind said

@moiax ok, the banker is epic, but the extra 4 bag slots are nothing to scoff at (actually that was the deciding factor in my getting the CE)

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 2:44PM Balraw said

@moiax Can I ask why you feel like a sucker? Didn't you get every thing that was advertised in the original CE, Also I don't recall them every saying that it wouldn't ever change in the future so no broken promises there to be worked up about.

I really don't see the problem here other than a lot of people with entitlement issues for something that they feel should be theirs and isn't.

/sighs and expects to be voted down

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 2:53PM NeverDeath said

@Balraw

I vote you up. Entitlement is a huge problem with people not only within this game genre but in the "civilized" world in general.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 3:07PM real65rcncom said

@Balraw
if hes like other people the sucker feeling comes from:

watching the vid trailers for 1.5 showing SPIDER mounts people are riding and people thinking they are available from questing in-game.

If he just resubbed to another six month or full year sub thinking Trion is showing something achievable in the game and not going down the cash shop tunnel, he's probably feeling sheepish from that.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 3:20PM chum said

@real65rcncom

I have to say, usually you are to Rift threads what Ren is to TOR threads but this is pretty much exactly how I feel. This could and should have been handled differently. Not a good sign.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 3:36PM real65rcncom said

@chum
nah, the difference is I was subbed to Rift for six months from beta and Ren has never played ToR.

I dont say anything about Rift that i havent seen with my own eyes, toon play or what my friends who still play Rift tell me.

Plus, i dont hate Rift like Ren hates ToR. He really, really hates ToR, lol.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 4:08PM Balraw said

@real65rcncom OK I just rewatched the trailer for 1.5 just in case I missed something and as far as I can see I didn't. What I saw was a few seconds of the character riding a spider. It in no way (to me at least) suggests how you go about getting said mount nor is it actually mentioned at any point.

So you feel suckered by Trion because you made an assumption that later proved to be incorrect ...

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 4:29PM fallwind said

@real65rcncom " I was subbed to Rift for six months"

you said you quit many months ago....?