Posted: Oct 13th 2011 5:00AM (Unverified) said

I haven't played the new Tutorial all the way through either, but I do kinda miss the old one, even though it was a bit of a bore after 50 times. Also, they had an homage to a player that passed away in it (Coyote) and the ability to get an achievement badge for Infected (which, I think, you can still get outside the game).

Then there was the Villain tutorial. I kinda preferred that, although no real badges I know of. It got one in the mood, but yeah, afterward it was a bit less than thrilling: You initially only got the choice of "Chosen Arachnos" but then they added "other" which proved to be not too much of a choice, since it was easy enough to do the same quests and there was no real "meaty" questlines being an "Other/Independent Villain".

Also, not only Longbow but other Law Enforcement have always been shown as "Corrupted Cops" on the villain side but not the hero side. This bothered me, too, but you can either ignore it (not a great choice, I admit) or embrace it to give your villain a purpose. Many of the "higher concept" villains are not all "bad guys" (like Doctor Doom and Magneto) so you are bettering off the system in your view (of course, one can also view this as "The Punisher"). Needless to say, again, I need to log back in the game, but I heard they removed the Snakes. I will miss the snakes (and the cinematics), although their purpose was also muddy and it was a questline that ended very soon with no future development.

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 5:01AM Space Cobra said

@(Unverified)

Test

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 5:01AM Space Cobra said

@Space Cobra

Sorry, I was "Unverified" for a second there: The above post is mine.

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 6:34AM The Ogre said

The new starting experience is... crappy. And that's being generous.

The reliance on popups is very annoying - popping up information panels (or prompts for panels) in the middle of battle so that they either obscure what you're doing, put you in danger because you stopped to try and read them, or get read afterwards when you don't actually need them is bad, to say the least.

The new starting arcs are... not good. Especially when they send you into a combat phase since in those you're regularly mugged by the group you just defeated while fighting the next group, or while trying to read the load of captions that just popped up after you did something, because the respawn timer is insanely fast and spawns are relatively close together. The quest NPCs also seem to not want to shut up, regularly having you click through 3-4 pages to simulate a conversation.

Worst of all, the new starting arcs completely replace the old because, dammit, we can't let anyone have any choice about experiencing our Shiny New Content That The Devs Worked So Hard On No Matter How Bad It Is. :/

As much as I hate Praetoria, it is now the best 1-5 experience instead of something to be avoided at all costs after the first time through. Pity, though, that it forces you through levels 6-20 if you choose to start there. :(

The starting experience revamp has definitely dulled my altitis as it makes starting new characters a major chore.

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 1:09PM StClair said

Something else I've noticed is that putting all of the "extended tutorial" in the starting arcs means that players who don't do those arcs, and instead just grind the new sewer trial all the way to level 20, won't get any of that information. And there are a LOT of them.

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 4:02PM JuliusSeizure said

@StClair

I'd have to blame the existing community for that, constantly spamming for groups to do it, saying you'll level faster without explaining that levelling fast is actually a terrible idea for non-VIPs because there's not much to do at 50 without the Incarnate system, and the bulk of the content is the levelling stuff.

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 6:43AM JuliusSeizure said

I only notice the problems you bring up in retrospect, and they don't really bother me too much. I could follow what was going on and figure out how to play easily enough. I didn't know who all the heroes and villains swarming around me were, but I also understood that I didn't really need to. It could be better, but there's nothing wrong exactly. It just doesn't excel in some ways.

Now I can't help wondering just what the original hero and villain versions were like. I do though agree that the Praetorian experience is rather excellent, having gotten my first Praetorian to 15 so far. :)

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 9:43AM AceSteveC said

"could have really benefited from taking a page from Going Rogue here and give both heroes and villains a single zone for the first six levels or so"

It's a fair point and roughly what I presumed they'd be doing when I heard they were overhauling the tutorial.

However while level 20 (at which point you can switch sides) seems like a long way away to a new player, it really isn't. It's easy to reach 20 quickly if you decide you want to switch sides, but that's assuming you know what you're doing (Either judicious use of Architect Entertainment or Death From Below will get you there pretty fast).

However even if you don't know how to level fast, if you decide you're on the wrong side before about 15 then you've played little enough that re-rolling and choosing the other side is not that painful and after about 15 it's not that painful to play to 20 and then switch.

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 11:49AM OsirisMonster said

I just started playing City of Heroes for the first time just last week. I'd agree that the decision between hero and villain happens very soon in the game. It is so soon that I wonder why it isn't just part of the character creation process. Occurring so soon I didn't feel like it was a pivotal moment in my character's progression like I'd imagine an in-game decision of that caliber should be.

Besides that I'm loving the game. It is a lot of fun and the early quests (went villain) are very engaging.

Posted: Oct 13th 2011 6:34PM Scarecrowe said

Heh. "Terminal fear of the endgame" -- does CoH actually have one now? It used to be just one massive raid. That's it.