Posted: Oct 11th 2011 3:30PM Spacegrass said

@Lucidus

The graphics in SWTOR are a lot better than WoW's and there are improvements over WoW at the time that are novel. Like giving you a reason to care about the quests you complete on your way to max level, or companions that make leveling a tank or healer viable.

Though the gameplay is superficially similar, it looks like (and from what I've heard from beta testers, is) a lot more fun. This is because, instead of whittling down a single creature's health, you're fighting multiple enemies at once, and the fights are faster paced because the enemies have less health. This is what they mean by "heroic combat"; they want you to feel like a badass instead of someone who spend 5 minutes defeating a rabbit.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 2:23PM Elikal said

2 &3 we have to see. With Star Wars and Bioware in tow, I assume however the forums are going to be an UGLY place. But that's just assumption.

To (1) I can only say: Bioware got arrogant like Blizzard for YEARS. I recall how every single critique and request was either COMPLETELY ignored or countered with some verbal attack, like Mr. Ericksons "players are too dumb to indentify with aliens".

Or the entire topic of "same gender romance arcs", Bioware was closed lipped for years (since it was 2009 the issue was first mentioned!), then leaves the player in an 8 weeks silence after a devs says, there are none in the game, much to everyones surprise and then say "yes after launch" and when Mr. Erickson is asked by a journalist if he wanted to say a word about the reasoning, he just answers "no!" End of debate. I could cite endless examples were Bioware folks were arrogant, and lacked any real skills of communication. Not to speak of the endless, hilarious quote of "we can't talk about it now", which at this point has gotten a sort of ridiculous stigma of that company. Anytime their talks behind the stage were accidentally overheard it was arrogant comments. No Sir, this company already is as bad as Blizzard. They have NO respect for their customers and the shape of the game now is proof they did not listen to ANYONE in their oh so grand vision of how things must be. And that is why they will fall bloody on their faces.

To (4) It follows from (1). Bioware has it's "vision" and be damned who thinks otherwise. Yes, in cosmetic things like speeder shapes they listened. But in anything substantial not. Like playable alien races. Or that they did not add a SINGLE sandbox element. Or that the game is apparently totally linear! Or lack of open space. Or lack of any real crafting sector. Or lack of any NOT combat spheres of gameplay! No, they did neven listen, in the making of ANY of their games. They always defended every hilarious decision, and at best filtered through many layers of PR bla bla. Like the DA2 failed horribly in the eyes of the fans, they just said, it had a different kind of philosophy. Well philosophy my ass!

You see, I am ALREADY mad at them, and the game didn't even start!

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 2:26PM Interitus said

I would say #1 and #4 already happen.. but the fans do it. Ironically the majority haven't played the game either. Obviously some people are trolls. But if people are critical of TOR, they get ripped apart. And sometimes these people have valid points, but it's some knee jerk reaction, they said something bad about TOR, attack!

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 2:45PM chum said

@Interitus

Sadly it's pretty uncommon to see any honest dialogue about a game anymore. Maybe it was never common. Prior to a game's release, naysayers get shouted down. After release when expectations are replaced with realities, the people who were let down drown out the people who are actually playing. TOR will most likely follow the same path as Rift in this regard and will become the savior of the universe. Rinse. Repeat.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 2:29PM uberman3000 said

If they have updates all ready in the bag then it won't be a problem. I do them taking a long time in between updates considering it's fully voiced. I would rather something be done right the first time then get lots of junk. I'm sure this will infuriate some players that rush to max level. I don't have 8-10 hours a day to game plus I play other non-mmo games. I plan on playing all classes light and dark anyway, so I will be very busy. Just yesterday I had someone come in my store and they complained that the gps takes a long time to update. I had to remind them it is communicating with space, give it a minute.

Here's a joke about the subject.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 2:55PM (Unverified) said

another pointless editorial...

Bioware has nothing to worry about -and i speak from first hand experience.

the world of games will forever be changed for the better on 12/20

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 3:09PM Lucidus said

@(Unverified) I speak from firsthand experience... and completely disagree.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 4:43PM (Unverified) said

@Lucidus I also speak from firsthand experience... and I think you're being biased beyond redemption.

There's quite a lot to like for people who have enjoyed themepark MMO's up till now.
However, people who have foolishly and ridiculously burnt themselves out on that kind of gameplay by playing thousands upon thousands of hours, well, SWTOR won't cure their aversion or allergy towards themepark MMO's.

So, there'll be people who'll hugely enjoy SWTOR, and people who'll hate it bc of the kind of gameplay it has, just like a number of those people hated Rift, and Aion and LotrO or other themepark MMO's.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 8:52PM (Unverified) said

@Ren54 'blablabla Rift's awesome blabla SWTOR sucks bla BW too'.

That's all I hear from you, like a broken record. Rift must be boring as hell, the amount of time you spend on forums instead of enjoying the gameplay ingame of Rift.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 3:05PM hansh0tfirst said

"...and one of the worst things you can do is be condescending to them because they're not treating you the way you expect."

A roundabout way of saying put a muzzle on Daniel Erickson.

Seriously, that guy has done more to tarnish my impression of the game (and its publisher) than anything else I've seen to date. He's arrogant, patronizing, and arguably the worst spokesperson they could have chosen to represent their product.

In a nutshell, yeah, I'm still pissed at the "Hey Chewie, let’s go into space and dick around" comment.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 3:10PM Lucidus said

@hansh0tfirst /agreed Erickson is a [censored].

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 3:25PM hereafter said

@hansh0tfirst

It's kind of fun to see devs get snarky and poke fun at criticism, but yeah I can see how that would rub people the wrong way.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 3:06PM (Unverified) said

I can't say I disagree with much of what you say. Unfortunately I still have nothing else to play since every other MMO out there at the moment is not that great and I have no interest in Star Wars whatsoever. And I quite frankly am turned off from Rift from things some may consider silly, such as my race choices being nonexistent, to me feeling the gameplay felt far too much like WoW and in that case I mind as well play the game I have 7 years in.

GW2 could be good and I'm really looking forward to it but it won't have a MMO type end-game so something tells me I may eventually tire of it to a certain degree (but that would probably take a while if they deliver on what they say). But since it's F2P I really have no reason to not just play it and WoW. And by the looks of it there is no other fantasy MMO coming out in the near future so I think I'll be stuck with WoW a bit longer.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 3:12PM bcrfan said

i got to have me some fun this w/e with the beta, and as a complete skeptic before, I have to say I was very pleseantly surprised.

the one thing i do worry about is, that with anything uber popular you get the morons and idiots in the game, so hopefully ill be able to get on a more normal server. Dass it though.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 3:15PM (Unverified) said

I totally agree with your statement about the WoW forums. They are beyond control at this point and have been for a long time. Stricter moderation is desperately needed. With everyone having a Blue Tracker on their website, when they respond to something pointless, everyone knows about it and it makes it look like all they respond to is crap.

I would rather they cut and paste links to forum rules with nothing else when they lock a topic. No explanation is needed. Or just lock them without any comment.

You know what they need? They need Dalton to come in and clean the place up. Roadhouse.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 3:23PM Seldra said

The jist of it is, Blizzard just needs to get with the times, and I agree with that. I also echo the sentiment about forum community.

Bioware needs to crack down on the forums hard and keep it in a short leech. Games like WoW, LoL, Nexon forums, are all littered with flames, trolling, and what not.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 3:33PM hereafter said

TOR forums are already getting pretty trashy, but there's no real way to deal with it. Maybe they could take a Reddit approach and allow upvotes and downvotes to discourage nonconstructive threads. But then it would be abused so only praise would get seen and legitimate complaints would get buried along with all the trolls...

I'll just be glad when it's here and I can leave the forums behind. I've basically walked away from the official forums these days and some people are making the Massively comments an unpleasant place to be as well, so I may have to step away from these flame wars too. My sincere hope is that someday people will learn that it's okay to not like things and that they don't have to be dicks about it. But that's on the pile under "world peace" and "the secret to eternal happiness" so it's a long shot.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 3:39PM Seldra said

@hereafter

LoL does the same thing and I see some good posts get downvoted because...well the vast majority of the LoL players are the same group of cancer that killed the WoW forums.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 4:08PM Metatron said

@Seldra Oh jeez tell me about it LoL's community is awful. Smart posters have no place there. Like GameFAQS/Spot.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 4:04PM Metatron said

The official boards have already started passing this around as today's fanboy 'feel good' circle jerk. You're giving advice to Bioware?!!? NO ONE KNOWS BETTER THAN BIOWARE-WAre-ware-ere-re!

That community is pretty much WoW's retarded, sci-fi loving cousin, so it doesn't surprise me that they immediately start dissecting this opinion piece as if it were some sort of self righteous commandment. Same as anyone who dares question Blizzard. Funny how they hate WoW so much, but most act like they're on Blizzard's boards. They'd fit right in.

Damn site is practically made of WoW's backwash. If it isn't losing their shit over mistake emails, it's a 4000 page speculative thread on Erickson's use of the word 'the' instead of 'a'.
It's both hilarious, and revolting, watching them scrabble around on the ground desperately searching for scraps of media, to feel more secure about their future purchase.

These are all common sense issues. Bioware is arrogant, their NDA is utterly worthless, since they never gave a fuck enough to enforce it, and the leaked info is everywhere. Now the horrid mods are just pretending the leaks don't exist and infraction people for saying "google".

Their forums are utter shit.

I've got a CE preordered, but I'm going to be playing this game sans an active chat window, that's for certain.

Bioware's lack of solid info mere months before release, is telling of a company that wants the game to ride on hype till release Silicon Knights' style. Now I don't think their game will bad.

I have faith that the game will be fun, but they aren't doing much, to assure people not already married to the game back in October '08, that this ridiculous level of secrecy and constant restructuring of a game
-that months ago was proclaimed "finished and polishing" -
isn't due to a lack of confidence in their product.

WoW Archivist: Epics