Posted: Oct 11th 2011 4:25PM real65rcncom said

@jslim419

Because the very people I denounced as the reason the industry is failing due to devs trying to cater to them with ever complicated schemes, designs, skillsets and tedium raiding are the very same people who read forums.

The people who pay for most of these games and who TOR is trying to capture don't read this stuff. As I said, they are more interested in actual PLAYING and FUN than writing about this, that and the other concept.

That's why I think a game like WildStar will take a lot of people by storm. Simple concept, simple features, fun look and feel, nothing with "one hundred skill trees" and "Humongously Awesomely Fantastical Epic World Universe Events involving one million players". Too complex.. gets too boring.

Game makers will have to learn one day to get back to simple basics instead of continually trying to reach that crazy itch in the middle of their back (jaded vets). Until they do that this industry will stay fail and consoles will continue to rise.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 10:31PM Halfcentaur said

@real65rcncom A neckbeard was someone too young to grow a chinbeard, and thus only has a beard on their neck I thought. I've got to learn more.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 11:13PM real65rcncom said

@Halfcentaur
neckbeard
(v) - to hide in your room, lights off, blinds drawn, shying from society in order to play a video game. This is the stereotype for Dwarf Fortress players but the variety is getting bigger, with games including Minecraft, Warcraft, and Team Fortress 2.

Niall: Where did Ryan go? The party starts in an hour!
Patrick: He went to his room to play TF2. He wants to get a golden wrench.
Niall: He's not neckbearding hard enough to get one of those, and he's neckbearding pretty hard.
---------------
Kind of harsh and I hate to use the term that way, but 'veteran' isn't good enough because all gaming vets aren't neckbeards. those guys are usually the elitist type who know everything about everything. (think you know the kind I mean)

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 1:19PM (Unverified) said

The Homogenization of WoW Checklist
Remove race abilities from the priest class - check
Give both factions access to paladins and shawmans - check
Refuse to add class quests in expansions - check
Make epic gear rediculously common - check
Give all healing classes the same spells, but call them something different - check
Give all tanking classes the same abilities, but call them something different - check
Give all DPS classes AoE abilities - check
Make sure absolutely no class can do anything unique - check
Make the only hero class in the game easy to acquire so that any moron can play one - check
Make the game generic and souless - check

Hopefully Bioware will be able to retain what might (I'm not in the beta) make the game unique and interesting, and not go the Blizzard rout of removing a large part of what made wow fun in the first place.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 2:02PM Mikx said

@(Unverified)

WoW, I forgot about the priest racials, can't say I blame them though, those spells were among the ugliest in the game, and I wouldnt expect them to update the spells when they're only used by one race/class combination.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 2:38PM Strangeland said

@(Unverified)

Yup. I think a lot of us saw the slide begin when Pallies and Shaman crossed over. Then the gateway quests for epic class weapons and mounts disappeared so that you just got them automatically as you leveled, instances got easier, and easier and easier, and still even easier, and then easier again -- and all the other things in your list, too. What started out as a unique and varied experience that rewarded perseverance and teamwork turned into a homogeneous theme park on rails with instances that any PUG could steamroll in 30 minutes.

I'd take original WOW with its flaws over the tepid porridge it has become.

Posted: Oct 17th 2011 9:43AM BaronYiffington said

@(Unverified) You can't have both unique classes and abilities and balance. It doesn't work that way, you have to choose.

Even if the game is as homogenized as you claim, classes are still getting sat out of raids because the player made the decision to play a certain character. Shaman, for example, are sub-par as every role, and are generally only brought into raids for Spirit Link Totem and nothing else, while feral druids get stacked because of their extremely powerful bleeds (60K TICKS, not even an ability).

Having unique abilities that were massively game changing forced players to play what the raid leader wanted instead of what was fun.

This applies to PvP too. Remember Wrath PvP? If you did not have a shaman on your team, you lose. Period. That's all there is to it - no Bloodlust = lose. Is that the game you want to play?

Is the game more homogenized? Yes. Nobody can argue that. However, it gets old when people say that it is a BAD thing. Classes are still plenty unique (shaman still use totems, druids use HoTs, Disc uses absorbs, etc) but are homogenized enough to be balanced. Gone are the days where you had to replace people on a per-fight basis because they made the grave mistake of choosing a character that does frost damage instead of fire, for example, when they began to play four years ago and the boss was immune to frost damage.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 1:23PM (Unverified) said

From what ive heard, if you're looking for a Co-OP-ish RPG, SWTOR will be the game for you.

If you're looking for an MMO to replace that hole left when you quit wow, or just want something to replace wow (cause lets face it, everyones likely in one of those two groups lol) it wont be the game.

I was looking forward to giving it a try, but I just kinda decided i'll give it time to settle.

And @ the article, one of the things you mentioned was forums.

WoW beta forums - SUPER awesome community and chock full of useful info

Rift beta forums - same thing

launch forums when the number of users increases 100 fold - useless dribble

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 2:13PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) I don't know if SWTOR will fill the hole that WoW left for some players, but from everything I've heard including the news from beta players, SWTOR will be as much a fully fledged MMORPG as MMO's like WoW, EQ2 and LotrO are.
I think everyone saying differently either is lying or didn't play the game and is too focused on BW's changes of the questing system into a more typical BW-style of missions and questing.
But that's just 1 feature, everything else is very much MMORPG.

So, for everyone who's still able to enjoy themepark MMORPG's, it looks to me like with SWTOR there'll be another MMO for those people added to their list to enjoy.

Posted: Oct 12th 2011 1:41AM myhumps said

@(Unverified)

"launch forums when the number of users increases 100 fold - useless dribble"

At least I won't have to read anymore threads about how GW2 is super awesome and TOR sucks.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 1:25PM kgptzac said

Nothing specific. .. just saying that sensible and responsive PR are never a bad thing

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 1:30PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
nah, beta sucks...haven't been this disappointed since we lanned the age of conan release lol.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 1:31PM blackcat7k said

Ok I hear this:

"Bioware be perfect. Because you're, we're going to crucify you if one thing is out of place."

I think we should get the tar and pitch ready since we know that the game is not going to cure cancer. Everyone just needs to take some time to chill out. They said the game would copy WoW, now that it does copy it we're shocked?

To the critics for and against the game. Companies are going to protect their bottom line. Especially when their are critics that make their living shit stirring just to see who will chomp at the bit. They're not invested in the game and didn't spend the last few years busting ass to finish it.

Just because a critic has an opinion that doesn't mean it's an honest one.

Before you mention other MMOs like RIFT. Remember that RIFT doesn't have a major IP that their game is based around. I would assume that turn around time for major updates may be slow due to amount of people that would be involved in the process of green lighting new content.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 1:44PM Lenn said

@Ren54 Quality over quantity.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 2:14PM (Unverified) said

@Lenn

What in the Rift updates would you say has been poor quality? The game might not be for you and that's fine but I'll be mighty impressed if Bioware matches the quantity and quality of Trion's updates.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 2:16PM Budukahn said

@Lenn

Wouldn't it be great to get quality *and* quantity? Six months sub elapsing between content updates that are over for me in a week as they are in WoW are one of the many reasons I stopped playing. If a comparatively minor studio like Rift can manage to keep up a near monthly release cycle, surely the mighty Blizzard can do a bit more?

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 2:16PM (Unverified) said

@Ren54 Lol. Hear the hardcore Rift fanboi talking.

You're a hypocrite yourself for using double standards, 1 for Rift and the other for all other MMO''s.
Talk about hypocrisy... just look in the mirror.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 2:24PM (Unverified) said

@Ren54

While I agree that the IP shouldn't affect content upgrades, I disagree that it has anything to do with Rift or Trion. I don't think Trion releases content the way they do because "TOR fans expected them to." That doesnt make any sense at all.

You can't call TOR fans hypocrites if Bioware doesn't keep the same pace as Trion. Many "TOR fans" as you call them have never played Rift and don't care even the slightest about Trions update schedule.

I'm sure that people will want regular content updates, especially when they get to endgame, but saying that TOR fans are hypocrites is an unfair assessment.

Think of it this way: if TOR fans are current, ex, or potential Rift players (the only people who would care about Rift's development cycle I assume) then Rift is going to be a pretty empty game come Dec 20. I tend to think there is a large population of Rift players however that arentthe least bit interested in TOR, and a large number of (if not the vast majority of) TOR players who aren't interested in Rift at all.

I guess I should know that it's your MO to insult and demean people based on what game they like and personal preferences, however. You seem to be extremely upset that so many people like something that you do not.

As far as Rift goes, I played it for months and while I realize tha TOR isn't exactly breaking the mold in the genre, I find it hard to believe that you can seriously say that Rift is so radically different from the standard mmo offerings. It felt so much like an improved version of WoW to me. Notice I said improved, I think it was a great game and Trion is a very impressive dev company, but come on let's be real. It's very similar to WoW, which seems to be one of your main criticisms of TOR.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 2:36PM (Unverified) said

@Ren54
In before Ren 5... wait, that's not possible. If anyone, ANYONE ever makes a post regarding SWTOR, this kid is like a carnival pop-up game. You know, the one that gets hammered back down.
Now Ren, I know the odds of me talking any sense into you is virtually nil. However I am going to try.
SWTOR will not be released for another 69 days. Please stop commenting on that which you have no knowledge. Even IF on the outside chance you are as you claim a Beta tester, or have been one, whatever, who cares? The final build is not live... so please stop pumping up Rift to the detriment of all other games. You have absolutely no earthly idea what you are talking about.
My qualifications, I was in the SWTOR beta in November of last year. It was a mess and if it was to be released like that then yes I would complain! But it isn't. And yet I am plunking down my money to play the game because Bioware has a track record of making spectacular games.
First MMO? Check; we know that, WoW was Blizz's first attempt, and they SURE as hell didn't get it right. Itteration, itteration, itteration and they are now number 1.
Rift? they are doing well, I am playing it ATM. But it is far from perfect too, far to many servers for the number of players. But, it is fun and allows lots of freedom to choose what you want to do; they even give you the opportunity to choose bad talent builds.
The point of this is please stop knocking everyone's game but your own. Grow up and stop being THAT GUY on the forums. Be constructive, or be quiet. Go upstairs and ask your mom, she would agree with me.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 2:47PM (Unverified) said

@blackcat7k they could do it like rift and release fast patches that should have been on release day, like the first raid tier, that should give them a few month head start to say they do fast content updates.

also I'm wondering if with the new continent rift is releasing next month it'll be up to the 17 zones of SWTOR