Posted: Oct 11th 2011 8:34AM Softserve said

I don't really attend these, but I play on the Landroval server for LOTRO. The server has tons of those sorts of things and I have to say that it really enhances the overall feel of the game. It's neat to be running around and then just happen upon some party at a pub or a concert. Makes the game feel more "alive".

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 8:37AM Avernus said

I've attended a lot of costume contests in City of Heroes and Champions Online. I've also attended 'clean up the street' events where heroes just go from one end of a zone to another and 'arrest' everything.

The costume contests are a lot of fun. I'm not that creative. Well, really, my creativity is hampered by realism. I usually have my heroes in sleek body armor that is practical but breathable. lol

I never won a costume contest but I love to see the more out of the box people's designs.

I did win a costume/bio contest, I assume 100% on my bio, since my super hero was wearing jeans and a tshirt. The bio was a dating add, I looked at OkCupid for the categories cause I was thinking how hard it would be to date if you had large metal spikes protruding from your body.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 9:26AM Equillian said

Only thing I absolutely REFUSE to attend is "bar night". god that's annoying to sit there feeling like "man, how do I get outta here without insulting the person who invited me."

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 9:30AM real65rcncom said

No, I don't like this kind of stuff. It's fine if others do though. To me it's people keeping themselves "busy" when my theory is I pay the company to keep me "busy".

I really hate when people spam their guild events as if the whole server is interested in it as well, which they aren't.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 9:49AM psycros said

@real65rcncom : couldn't agree more. Of course I find the entire idea of "guilds" ridiculous unless its part of the PvP mechanic.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 9:46AM DarkWalker said

If I learn abut the event in advance, and if it's something I find at least marginally interesting, yes.

One thing that might be interesting for MMOs would be in-game message boards where players could announce such events. A way to get notice of the event without having to look outside the game.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 9:50AM psycros said

@DarkWalker : I've suggested this in every game I've played. Its one of those no-brainer ideas that devs ignore cause their too busy adding more XP boosters and arenas.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 9:57AM psycros said

The only "events" I find interesting are the completely spontaneous ones, like when a couple guys start "skiing" down a mountain (i.e. sliding with damage mitigation so they don't die at the bottom, lol) and it suddenly becomes a ski party..people doing it in costumes, in their skivvies, etc. Or getting as many people on top of a place you shouldn't be able to climb for group screenshots. Basically anything where their trying to "break the game" gives me a smile, unless its for evil purposes (exploits). Heck me and my friends almost can't finish a level on some games because inevitably it turns into Stunt Island, LOL.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 10:57AM ScottishViking said

I play LOTRO on Landroval, so yeah, I've definitely taken part in some player-run events. They're almost always well done. Back in the day I went to a few Baruk Khazad events, as well as Bounders of the Shire events. LOTRO's community is awesome, Landroval's doubly so.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 11:48AM Space Cobra said

I try to do so, especially if it is an interesting, different, and fun event. (I tend not to like costume contests).

Many times though, I can't make it; something comes up or play times are too late.

It's easier to do with small groups, IMO.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 11:52AM (Unverified) said

Sometimes I attend soetimes not, depend if I feel like it.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 11:52AM smartstep said

Sometimes I attend soetimes not, depend if I feel like it.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 1:17PM BobbiLovesGaming said

I usually only go to player run role play events in any game or virtual environment.

Now maybe things have changed since the last time I went to a gm run even, back in late 90s/early 00s. But back in those days most events got ruined by hecklers, griefers, or people who just wouldn't stop asking when some bug was going to be fixed.

And in virtual worlds like second life, when there is a fund raiser, I just contact the person running it and donate. But I barely ever go to the party, dance, nightclub, date auction, or whatever event they are running.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 1:30PM Seffrid said

I attended a Massively event in FE once, run by Shawn - does that count?

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 1:49PM Seldra said

I try to, they're fun and there's no ingame incentives to go so people just go there because they want to have fun. Something which gets lost in the sea of the day to day grind for dailys and what not.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 3:45PM Emanmodnar said

I actually typically find that player funded and created events push the envelope on the community concept of whats fun and what isn't better than the developers do. But, I say this as a player event designer myself. I make a point of going out into the community of any new game I try and asking where the big party events are, what raids are like and how friendly people are to new players. A big event that's not a standard holiday or money making mangle for the hosting company can really hook people into the game-play experience.

Last year I ran a player event for the Mabinogi server I was playing and other people really hyped up what I was doing to their friends, we got people asking about the timeline so they could take days off work to attend or help us pull it all together. Considering I was averaging 150+ players per event, I'd say that feedback for player events can be pretty gosh darned positive.

I'm currently playing Fallen Earth and really got hooked in to the game because I found the Roleplayer community to be small but very vibrant and inventive with their limited game engine. The system doesn't seem to support grouping much outside of PVP but the dedicated players have gotten really inventive and created ways to use the system to their advantage to come up with new ways to retain their interest. I see this kind of thing everywhere, really.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 4:15PM Nepentheia said

I've attended more player-hosted events (and developer-hosted events) in LOTRO than all other MMOs I've played over the last decade combined.

Crickhollow and Landroval are excellent servers for player participation.

Posted: Oct 16th 2011 5:23PM Lumin said

No. I like dev events because they usually include some canon quests/item rewards that all participants are able to acquire. Player run events tend to highly favor the more vocal/well-known members of the community, value of prizes tends to be very unbalanced, and winning said prizes is often completely up to luck (or a good internet connection.)

If it's a legitimate event just for socializing/discussing stuff, NOT for prizes, then I would attend if the topic is of interest to me.