Posted: Oct 11th 2011 2:10PM Space Cobra said

Wolfman just seems like such a neat guy. He's worked for Marvel and DC. Did the most favorite iteration of Teen Titans, made books, and has done tons of other things, in gaming, in TV, and in literature.

If I could, I'd like to get a chance to buy him some dinner and pepper him with all sorts of questions about his past and his view on things. He seems to just really enjoy his work and the enthusiasm shows, like here.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 2:16PM cald said

I don't want to be chicken little, but if you're worried about backstory and NPCs in Planetside you're doing it wrong. We went from fighting over a planet to fighting over planetoids, and the only difference was that the lattice changed.

Get the gameplay right, and people won't care why they're playing the game. You're in a squad or platoon, there's a Galaxy overhead, an ANT that needs to be refueled, and a base to take. Who cares about Captain Tightpants, Major Problem, or General Error? The whole point of MMO's is that WE, the players, become those personalities. Whatever backstory you write is going to pale compared to the stories Planetside 1 vets have about "back in the day", or ever Planetside 2 players "last week, we did this and it was AWESOME!."

My point is that it's not needed. Create the environment, give us the sandbox, make sure the mechanics work, balance the weaponry and the systems and then let us have at. We'll provide the backstory, the characters, and the politics.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 3:19PM JuliusSeizure said

@cald

Okay, but does it really hurt anything? I'm certain some people will appreciate it, even if you don't, so if they gain something and you don't lose anything, that's a net gain.

Now, unclench.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 10:00PM raykor said

@cald

Perfectly stated. Thanks for saving me the trouble.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 2:19PM Davevis93 said

Seems like SOE might actually be putting some money into promoting Planetside for once. I eagerly look forward to these episodes, as while the it was always a game, having a cool back story definitely helped me with roleplaying what type of character I would be for the day/week. Whether it be a cold-hearted TR sniper putting down "dissidents" or a assault rifle toting gung-ho "freedom fighter".

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 11:44PM champagon said