Posted: Oct 10th 2011 9:29AM fastcart said

I honestly don't get the draw about jumping in an MMORPG. It is fine if it's used for puzzle solving or something though. But, I played FFXI for three years and got along fine without jumping.

If I'm watching a Youtube or livestream video and the host is jumping around for no reason, I scream at him/her through my monitor for them to stop jumping! d:

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 9:38AM Pojoh said

Absolutely!! That's why I could never get into Guild Wars. I know strange, but true. It's part of the fun of just goofing off. Heck, I chill out in game when I need to get from place to place running on fences in lotro.

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 9:43AM HiroProtagonist7 said

It seems like whenever anything cool or fun happens - clear a dungeon, have a big guild meeting, etc - people start hopping around unconsciously because they're just happy. It's a cool, kind of universal, way to express happiness and I kinda like it :)

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 9:49AM real65rcncom said

The pic for this article shows two things I don't like in games nowadays..

1. Jumping (during PvP combat)

2. "Achievements" earned for doing absolutely nothing that people count as "content" to claim their game has something to do as in:

"Game is boring? Not enough content? Did you finish all the achievements? If not, you can't say that..."

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 11:57AM (Unverified) said

@real65rcncom
Well considering that screen shot is a badge from Glitch, a non-combat platformer, I find that achievement to be pretty reasonable as far as achievements go. However, I don't necessarily see the point of achievements either, and I typically only strive to complete them if there's something of special value to me like a mount I think is really cool. Achievements have probably gotten a bit out-of-hand, but it gives many people something to pump their ego with and fools our brains into a sense of, well, achievement. It's an obvious trap that people sometimes can't help but fall into.

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 12:06PM real65rcncom said

@(Unverified) said: "Well considering that screen shot is a badge from Glitch, a non-combat platformer, I find that achievement to be pretty reasonable as far as achievements go."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't think whether a game is "combat" or "non combat" makes a difference in regards to callling achievements "content".

There are tons of games that have lots of content and no combat, but don't have one achievement period. I still don't find pushing the space bar 1,111 times noteworthy as you said you do.

Achievements aren't content in any form. It's basically the same premise that a game uses to tell you just dinged from Level 1 to Level 2. I'm sure someone out there considers that content as well and should be a bulletpoint on a game's box as a selling point.

I can see it now:

- Intuitive in-game achievement system notifies you when your character advances each level!

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 9:56AM Tizmah said

I like jumping. Do I need to jump in the air every moment? No. Let's use The Legend of Zelda as a perfect example of what jumpings purpose is. In Zelda, you cannot simply "jump". You can only jump automatically when approaching a gap, a cliff, or to fall/step down an obstacle. That is the perfect use of jumping in my opinion. If more MMOs adopted Zelda's scheme, it would solve that bunny hoping issue.

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 10:18AM JBTurk said

Movement, especially jumping, is very important for me. Many of the worst MMORPGs have NOT included jumping. Coincidence? -- I think not.

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 10:42AM Leandra said

Yes, I must occasionally jump spastically around in whatever game I'm playing. It just has to be done, like an uncontrollable urge.

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 10:44AM Syesta said

No, not really.
There are so few games where it's actually used as a gameplay mechanic or travel feature, that unless it's necessary, I don't do it.

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 12:00PM (Unverified) said

@Syesta
On the other end of the spectrum, I like to jump even if there is no actual purpose to doing so. Still, it bugs me when a game implements jumping, but you can't actually jump over barriers or obstacles; it's a bit taunting.

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 10:47AM Space Cobra said

Yeah, between long travel/walking times over long distances, I tend to jump after a bit, too. Again, something to do and you look different doing it rather than constantly walking.

Also, I tend to call it "skipping"! ;P

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 11:29AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Jumpers are annoying and probably 8 years old.

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 11:35AM Space Cobra said

@(Unverified)

Just make sure you don't tell that to a US Marine Skydiving team!

Woo-Hoo! :P

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 11:46AM (Unverified) said

@Space Cobra

Ah yes. I'll keep that in mind. Thank you.

By the way how do I become 'verified'? Don't want people to think I'm hiding behind it?

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 1:41PM Space Cobra said

@(Unverified)

There is a bit of problem with the verifying over the whole of the Joystiq-network. Some browsers work better than others at signing in. I have heard some problems of signing into one area and then it confuses the system when you go to other areas (or sign into other areas).

I know that doesn't help too much, but try to either switch browsers or fiddle with the browser options. Also, logging in/out manually seems to help some folks.

At the least you can probably put a pic in your avatar, even if unverified.

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 11:41AM Scarecrowe said

Jumping wasn't important to me until I discovered a MMO that didn't have it. Then I realized it was something I needed and took for granted. Go figure!

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 2:06PM (Unverified) said

@Scarecrowe What's worse is the games that have jumping, but for which it serves no purpose.

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 11:55AM TractorX said

A friend of mine came to me while I was playing Lineage 2 and asked why don't i just jump over that rock, and when he heared that you can't jump in l2 banned this game forerver in his brain, like he does with every game that has no jump feature :D

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 12:06PM Saker said

-Good- jumping is necessary for immersion, also good swimming! Have been playing some Wizard101 recently and the strange way their game world is crafted can be very annoying where the edges of varying height levels gets you kind of stuck and you have to wiggle back and around (and can't just jump over (although you can jump in their game, but these weird slight height differences, you can't just jump over...). This kind of thing annoys me. Immersion is everything, These basic (in the real world) aspects of a "world" are necessary! Good companies shouldn't try to cut costs by skimping on them....

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014