Posted: Oct 10th 2011 2:44PM DasMadHatter said

Looks like my spreadsheet combat simulation is going to lose 20% of its spread-sheety goodness.

Oh fie. It also appears my stocks in gold have decreased.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 2:32PM Calfis said

@DasMadHatter

You've obviously never seen any EVE fleet fights. When your enemies drop 20 ten kilometer (6.2 mile) long megaships (Titans) on top of your 200 dudes in battleships. You're not seeing spreadsheets, you're seeing tonnes of pure rape. I actually had my video card crash once (My fault for not dialing the graphics down before the fight) when an enemy fleet dropped 10 supercarriers which all simultaneously launched a full complement of fighter/bombers (somewhere like 25-30 per supercarrier).

Spreedsheets are good for people buying and selling things on the EVE market but actual combat still happens on a 3D plane in space.

As someone who has been on the receiving end of these wtfbbqpwn drops, I have to say I'm not sure this really does anything to hamper the "I win" button of an alliance that has lots of super capitals ready to be dropped on anything.

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 3:08PM Scuffles said

Removing an exploit .... hmmm

My drama senses are tingling.

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 3:32PM Khai mann said

I think the changes are very positive.

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 4:18PM (Unverified) said

Not enough. They need to severely limit the kinds of drones that Supercarriers can use.

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 4:24PM Kaahn Stewart said

@(Unverified)

They did. Supercarriers get nothing but Fighters and Fighter Bombers now, as well as having a much smaller drone bay than previous (to go along with every other Supercap losing its drone capabilities).

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 4:33PM WolvenSpectre said

I agree the logoff exploit is a problem but many people forgot why it is the way it is.

Years ago when I started the game on multiple occasions I would see players ships floating in space because the had crashed to desktop, their client desynced and couldn't resync so restarted, or their OS/computer crashed/froze/rebooted and I would end up guarding their ships for as long as 30 min (in rare cases) as their ships sat pilotless but unable to be boarded.

I once was stuck in a transport ship shortcutting through Lo-Sec with 2/3 of all my game items and it happened to me.

It was always my understanding that the reason they did not get rid of logging off was they couldn't seperate it from other disconnections. Also they have suggested the "while ingaged" mechanic before but the point that comes up is that in the case of attacks on non combat targets. They lose connection and don't log off on purpose it could lead to too many loosing too much if say a patch or expansion puts in a new bug or software conflict.

If my mempry serves me right I believe they explained it along the lines of "If it happens occasionally that is the game but if CCP accidentally or unforseeably causes it and can't rectify losses it would hurt the game.".

However I don't remember if it was an interview a dev blog, a dev chat, or CSM/QEN, so take it with a grain of salt.

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 4:40PM Hurlbut said

I had an idea of a Fleet version of the DN where it lose the Siege Ability in exchange for retained mobility and improved accuracy for its racial weapons against other Capital ships. It would also have more high slots. Just enough that it would just behind the Seige Mode damage output, but usable for fleet to fleet engagement.
This concept didn't involve boosting defenses at all beyond what scaling the ship defenses to Supercapital level entailed. So it was possible to two Fleet DNs to pound each other to pieces, all thing being equal.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 4:10PM smg77 said

This is a good start. Hopefully they aren't done with the nerfbat though. Seeing all the nullsec alliances who have relied solely on their supercaps for the last few years crying on the forums has been delightful.