Posted: Oct 9th 2011 8:20AM Faryon said

Snowy landscapes. I get enough snow (with much better graphics) during the winter so I tend to dislike it in MMOs :D

I have also lost interest in the cursed forest environments after Duskwood in WoW and Gloamwood in RIFT, but that can also be because I'm tired of fighting spiders, skeletons, ghosts and werewolves.

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 4:35PM pcgneurotic said

@Faryon

Yah, 'cursed forests' are a drag. I spent literally years in EQ2's Nektulos Forest.

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 4:57PM pixledriven said

@Faryon

Sign me up for no more snow

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 8:21AM Baby Choo Choo said

Caves. Caves. Caves.

If I see one more cave, no matter how colorful it is on the inside, I'm going to lose it.

It's like every developer got together and formed a committee and said, "yo we need caves in the game. Also, don't forget to put the quest objective in the back of the cave that way they get to see the whole cave we worked really hard to make after we graduated with a degree from cave making from the University of Caves. Make more caves."

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 2:36PM Tizmah said

@Baby Choo Choo You know what's also bad about caves? They are always narrow. Which means if you get a quest, back to back that makes you trudge through that cave, you have to fight every mob over again!

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 1:57PM Shardie said

@Baby Choo Choo

And we look at Warcraft, where every cave is a copy of one or two other caves...

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 8:22AM Khal said

I don't really think the environments are the thing that immediately starts the drain on my enthusiasm. No matter the environment I think that point hits for me when I first start moving through an area (outside of the starting city, camp, etc.) and seeing the "level" of the creatures start to advance up.

It's at that point in my mind the full realization of "another level grind" hits me and an inner gallery expelled a collective "Awwwww... :(". And seeing as overwhelming majority of MMO don't put the kind of effort in non-combat activities as say SWG(preNGE) or UO did, nor the level of importance..."Combat, combat, combat" grind that no matter how you do it overall feels the same as the last game I just played.

See Spot.
See Spot run.
See Spot mash 4 keyboard keys.
See Spot kill level 1 rabbit.
See Spot level.
See Spot run.
See Spot mash 4 keyboard keys.
See Spot kill level 2 rabbit.
See Spot level.
ad level cap.

No, I've seen some very well done environments over the years. Indeed that's one of the few things I can appreciate in the modern MMO. Most well financed developers swing for homeruns with respect to graphics and environs.

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 4:17AM corpusc said

@Khal

bigtime agreed. environments are not a problem at all to me. its ALSO the one and only reason i PLAY MMOs in the first place. to be immersed in these populated virtual worlds. and i like their variety.

its the terrible "gameplay" almost all MMOs use as the foundation of the experience. that keeps me from SEEING all the environments because i can't stand to waste my life away in order to unlock one or 2 at a time (via levelling up to the required levels).

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 8:27AM (Unverified) said

NONE. Since no mmo has been perfect yet, I am still interested in seeing EVERYTHING in every game I play.

Caves I agree with get annoying. A lot of game companies recycle old code/models and it ends up being a lego building session everytime an xpac comes out (eq2)

CAVERNS, when done right, are soooooo epic.

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 8:30AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
What TRULY drains my interest, is whiney, bitter, spoiled, horribly burnt out and jaded players. That, and the fact that after losing thousands upon thousands of customers, game devs chose F2p across the board, instead of just PROMOTING.

Now, these games might have double or triple the population, but most arent REAL gamers of that game. They arent appreciative or loyal to the game, so its pointless.

PROMOTE TO NON-GAMERS and gamers that dont play mmo. I will repeat this until i am blue in the face until one company listens, gains 50 million new players and pays me for waking them up!

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 8:52AM Lafajet said

@(Unverified) Alright, this isn't really on topic, but I'll bite.

1. Promoting a game is not easy. Promoting a game takes a lot of resources. Promoting a game is sometimes ineffectual, and if they are to market to both non-gamers and non-MMO players it may very well equate to tossing the money into a lake. Promotions should be aimed at your core audience and others that are tangential to it. If you want to promote your MMO, promote it to MMO players first.

2. Going on a microtransaction business model is a very effectual way to promote your game. It removes a barrier to entry and more people will be willing to try it out. It gives you a boost of publicity and more people will be once again keeping an eye on your game. It is sort of a second chance at launching the game.

3. If the population of a game is doubled or tripled (or by any other order of magnitude increased) and stays steady there, the players are just as much gamers as those that have been there since launch. Please get of that high horse you rode in on.

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 10:15AM BigAndShiny said

@Lafajet
I think the word is 'effective' not effectual.

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 12:48PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

"What TRULY drains my interest, is whiney, bitter, spoiled, horribly burnt out and jaded hardcore raiders."

Fixed that for ya. *wink*

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 2:43PM Lafajet said

@BigAndShiny
ef·fec·tu·al
adj
\i-ˈfek-chə(-wə)l, -chü(-ə)l; -ˈfeksh-wəl\
Definition of EFFECTUAL
: producing or able to produce a desired effect

English isn't my first language, but I think both words work in this context.

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 5:00PM Baby Choo Choo said

@Lafajet

What?!?! English isn't your first language? It's my first language and I'm pretty sure you have a better grasp on it than I do lol

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 6:27PM Lafajet said

@Baby Choo Choo

Don't give me too much credit, I just throw in big words like "tangential" in there to make up for not being able to spell basic words like "through".

Posted: Oct 15th 2011 6:26PM EuchridEucrow said

@(Unverified) "That, and the fact that after losing thousands upon thousands of customers, game devs chose F2p across the board, instead of just PROMOTING."

Ren54? Is that you?

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 8:36AM Lafajet said

Dark forests. Basically any time a game goes for "ooooooooooooooooooo, spoooooookyyyyyyyyy" I lose interest very quickly. Horror lite elements tend to not work very well for me in MMOs, and when I see them I just sigh and brace myself for a number of soulcrushingly annoying hours.

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 8:44AM Eamil said

There isn't a specific environment type that I just flat-out dislike whenever I encounter it. Usually I dislike the way a specific zone comes together. I'm not really sure how to explain it better than that though.

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 8:52AM Tizmah said

@Eamil You mean like walking through a desert and BOOM, lush forest on the other side?