Posted: Oct 9th 2011 7:32PM Xilmar said

And yet again there's no mention of mining. My hopes of a decent mining rig shattered once again *sad face*.

I remember that during AT9 finals they talked about resource allocation, ore and ice mining, mineral logistics and so on. I'm wondering where along the way all that was lost?

Am i crazy in thinking that things will not change all that much in the long run unless the way alliances get their isk is changed? I mean if supers are nerfed, then in not that long someone will figure out that dreads, or carriers, or whatever are slightly better than the rest. And then the richest alliances will have the most hulls and will still keep control over the richest resources, continuing the cycle as before.

That's fine by me...it's a sandbox, everyone has a shot at a win. But if CCP doesn't believe that and wants to change it, then i really don't see this being a solution...unless they rebalance them every 6 months.

On a different note, the new CQs look really good. Love the gallente one, caldari CQ looks cool too. But again, that's 10 minutes of walking around each one, 10 to admire your avatar in the mirror if you're into that, then you say cool expansion bro and get back in space. Amazing tech, no doubt about it...gameplay, not so much. And for a game, gameplay' what really matters imho.

Great article, as most are. Main reason i check massively sunday nights.

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 8:52PM Brendan Drain said

@Xilmar I gave up on a mining revamp when my 2007 thread Mining Mk II ( http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=579110 ) gained a lot of traction with Oveur and the game design team and then nothing became of it. 2007 was four years ago.

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 8:11AM (Unverified) said

@Xilmar
The whole industry aspect of EVE Online needs a standalone expansion. From mining to manufacturing, simple things (like starting jobs or mining itself) that are painful to do needs a new iteration.

I hope for that in the next year, maybe after the low sec revamp, we are going to see a whole indy expansion.

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 2:26PM Xilmar said

@(Unverified)

I agree, pretty much every area could use some more iterations. These bits and pieces thrown in an expansion's fixes are welcomed, but it's like trying to stop a dam from breaking using duct tape.

Though i'm not sure we'll see that next year. My guess is that the summer expansion might be focused on turning Incarna into a multiplayer experience...I'm guessing they'll want to show off some more bling at fanfest, and that looks better for general gamers than industry. Maybe in the winter, but considering that CCP hates mining, it might be low sec's turn...and fair enough tbh, that's a big one.

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 2:30PM Xilmar said

@Brendan Drain

Nice job in shattering my last glimmer of hope. Cheers for that haha

Very cool thread, appreciate the post.

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 8:30PM QSpec said

Maybe I'll come back. I always have my eyes and ears on EVE, but every time I try to come back, I get a tiny bit depressed. So many great ideas that keep me wishing there weren't so many small things which slowly ruined my experience.

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 8:33PM Karth said

Well I dont want to bash CCP (even if it looks so), just say the truth for me and a lot of people, when I say that when EVE its full fixed and looks fun again, I could come back. What winter gives its not enough yet.
Mining, full null, faction fighting, industry and whatever I am missing... its a long list but I am one of those who dont understimate nothing and I really want to CCP succeed so please CCP make 2012 winter the best comeback ever made.

I will comeback when I hear people dying to log on for the night, almost all bots (player-made) are dead and I got nothing to do, again.

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 8:55PM fastcart said

Three of my five accounts expired today. The other two expired in September. Dunno when or if I'll be back really.

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 10:34PM (Unverified) said

Ultimately CCP has 10 weeks to prep all these amazing things for the winter expansion.....

It's possible they can do some of the promised things, but it doesn't seem like they've really re-allocated too many developers back onto Eve (two teams IIRC?). Fortunately many of the things they're fixing, that player's have been screaming about for YEARS, can probably be done by a few developer's in a few hours... but it's the simple fact that things had to get THIS bad for the developer's to be allocated to such easy fixes.

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 3:15AM Brendan Drain said

@(Unverified) I wouldn't say they have 10 weeks to deliver, not only because a Winter expansion can be delivered in January but also because there's no reason to shoehorn development into an expansion package. CCP's internal development uses agile methodologies with iterative refinement of new features; iteration is largely an exploratory process and it doesn't guarantee a good feature by a set date. The fact that CCP has continued to set expansion release dates baffles me to no end.

Instead, they could just give the winter development period an expansion-like name and lay out a roadmap for development over that period. This is largely what CCP already does, as a lot is usually left out of the first expansion release patch and has to be delivered in the months following it. It's like they're stuck half way between the scheduleless iterative development of agile processes and the scheduled goal-oriented development typically associated with the waterfall method.

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 10:45PM Keeop said

I've played off and on since 2003. I keep giving it a shot now and again, but I have never captured the fun that I had during those first two or three years. The inclusion of the cash shop pretty much closes the doors for me. Such is life. X3 will do in a pinch :)

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 11:04PM (Unverified) said

Winter is coming.

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 11:25PM Oshien said

Eve online is a great game. But there are major issues, some mentioned here such as the super caps. Another is having more than one account. People may disagree but it is true. A lot of the Black Ops such as infiltrating a corp or alliance would not happen if someone only had 1 account. And those who choose that path will be few and far between. I know there are many people out there with more than 10 accounts and all they do is try to rob smaller corps/alliances in the need of members and use that capital to buy plex for more accounts.

The other issue is mining. Unless you are a player with multiple accounts running multiple bots, mining is a piss poor money maker and so damn boring. Knowing the bots are keeping the prices down, I think botting is the #1 mining problem, even worse than it being boring.

I hope eve online will get back on the path of kicking butt and taking names. Incarna should of been a side project after some of the major issues were addressed and even though people disagree what the major issues are....

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 3:44AM Protheus said

Alot of issues that have been addressed for years and now they are going to be "fixed". I believe that with this winter expansion they hope to get the subs back they lost and to make money to fund the other games.

I still have 1 account active of the 4, it it will expire in Jan - so lets see what they will make of this expansion as I doubt it will keep players on.

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 8:05AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
NOBODY FUCKING CARES HOW MANY ACCOUNTS YOU WONT RESUB so please stop saying it, especially since it has even less weight on massively comments than it does on the actual forums.

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 5:47PM psycros said

CCP cares :)

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 5:59PM psycros said

The game's publishing deal with Simon & Schuster allowed CCP to buy back the rights to the game several months after its initial release. With no publisher taking a cut of the profits, CCP ploughed subscriptions back into the game's development and grew the development team organically..

You're kidding, right? CCP's growth is due to word of mouth from evangelists and more online advertising than WoW, and pretty much nothing else. And where is this reinvestment in development of which you speak? Eight year old bugs and an endless trail of half-finished and broken content doesn't speak well of their commitment. Frankly I expect but more of the same from Hillmar and company. How many times have they been busted cheating in their own game, in lying to the players and covering their tracks? All the illogical decisions, all the deceit, and always promising that it will never happen again. Sure, they sound like they might have finally awakened from their stupor of hubris, but only once they started hemorrhaging users like crazy. The majority on the official forums are clearly taking a wait-and-see stance on everything, and from what I can see that means keeping one active at most. But then, IMHO any game that requires dual boxing to really make progress is a failure regardless of whatever else happens.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 5:01AM Krelian said

@psycros

You mad bro ?

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 10:40AM (Unverified) said

@psycros:
"CCP cares :) "

No, they really don't.

Also, the game doesn't require dualboxing at all, and I say this with a 5 year old character that I've always played solo. It's undeniable that there is a clear advantage for using two accounts since some things just work a lot better if you have two people doing it and only person in EVE you can trust is yourself - but still, it's not mandatory to own more than two characters.