Posted: Oct 8th 2011 8:29PM (Unverified) said

Patch 1.19 is how XIV should have launched.
I'm a fan of FFXIV, been playing since alpha. In my eyes 1.19 is where the game begins.

While the changes will take a little bit to get used to, it's for the better. Once you get level appropriate gear, and out of the "dated" stuff your game will improve. Even more so once you start to slot it with materia.

We used to be able to steam roll mobs that were 10-15 levels above us. Now those mobs steam roll us. As it should be. However in 1.19 you are rewarded the same exp for killing mobs that are same level as you, as you were rewarded for killing those mobs that were 10+ above you in 1.18.

It's a great patch. It's the spring board that will usher in a new direction for XIV.

Posted: Oct 8th 2011 10:34PM Pingles said

@(Unverified)

Fantastic. Ordering today.

Posted: Oct 8th 2011 11:44PM Mevan said

@Pingles

I really hope you do. Just don't be discouraged by the learning curve. 1.19 added some basic beginners tutorials (Which are planned to be expanded upon in the future) but there's little hand holding. If you're able to overcome that it's really turning in to a great game. I have played since Alpha as well and it's incredible what they've accomplished since then and to know that they're only half way to where they want to be as far as repairs to the game and what would have been starting content is really encouraging. They're not giving up on this game and I won't either.

People who are curious about the game, 1.19 is a great starting point to try it out, it's still F2P after you purchase the game and should remain that way for some time while they get the game up to par.

Posted: Oct 8th 2011 8:46PM Xo1o said

cheaper repairs at npcs up to 99% durability and casting spells not requiring active mode made the game 30% better just like that.

I'm hoping that combat will further improve and there will be fun stuff to do during all level ranges for group and solo play.
Although I'm 100% buying GW2, if FF14 continues to improve I might play it as well

Posted: Oct 8th 2011 11:19PM Irem said

I'm really happy to hear that things are going so well. If my computer could run it a little better I'd be all over it.

Posted: Oct 8th 2011 11:52PM Mevan said

@Irem

This has been a huge complaint for many people with very decent gaming rigs. The thing I recommend is turning off Ambient Occlusion. That setting is intended for the highest of high-end gaming PCs. I turned it off and noticed an incredible increase in FPS (At least 30FPS in most areas).

I hope you get your chance to try out this patch!

Posted: Oct 8th 2011 11:33PM paraLogiki said

I just purchased the game a few days ago. And, I'm so annoyed with the starting look of my character. But, I'm just not getting this game. I'm guessing I need to make items for myself or something, the wards seem to be empty of items of my "level" which is 8 on my GLD right now.

So, I go to learn a craft, I buy a armorer tool but have no clue where to find recipes. I've been around the MMO block a lot of times, but this game just isn't clicking for me.

Are there some recommended resources out there?

Posted: Oct 8th 2011 11:58PM Mevan said

@paraLogiki

A pretty decent site for recipes is:

Sorry you're having a rough start with your gear. The Market Wards after the patch removes all of the retainers. For low end gear though, if you go in to the appropriate ward for the type of armor you need there will be a couple of NPC's that can sell you generic gear to help get you started. I hope this helps, happy gaming!

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 1:01AM Brin Zalazar said

@paraLogiki
My best advice is to go to the adventure guild and pick up some local leves from the npc at the counter. They are next to the npc that gives you battle and field craft leves.

From here, if you pick up the leves that look like a woman gathering in the fields they give you all the supplies needed. The ones with the Rogaden in front of the furnace will require you to locate the client to aquire the materials needed. (you can find them from the journals map button)

Now to do the leve, select sythisize then select requested items, then the leve in question. You are now crafting and learning recipes. :)

This might sound complex, but it is really great as it gives you a cost free way to learn a craft. I say try that out, with such demand fo lower level grear you'll make a fortune. :)

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 1:38AM JuliusSeizure said

Okay then. Now just make female Roegadyn playable and I'll be trying again. ;)

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 7:57AM Azules said

@JuliusSeizure Seriously, Merlwyb looks freaking awesome. I always knew female versions would work.

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 6:44AM peyo01 said

Nice to see all this work done to greatly improve this game.
I haven't been playing for a few months now as I do not want to have to re-learn everything from patch to patch. I'd rather let them finish their unraveling work, making the game what it should have been since the first day (how could they not include chocobos first hand, they are so emblematic of the FF titles), and I will play it again then.

It is really impressive the amount of things added or modified in this single 1.19 update, especially knowing they consider that only half the job is done at this point. It means there is a lot of good things yet to come in FF XIV.

I have been reading less and less bad feelings expressed about this game. It can be that people do not care anymore about the game. I'd rather think people are more and more willing to give the game a second chance. There is hope somewhere that all those improvements are not worthless and will succeed in redeeming the game. I for sure really hope so.

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 8:56AM (Unverified) said

@peyo01
I think a lot of the vocal naysayers of the game, were people who have left the game early after launch. I admit the game was in a terrible state back then. Every time XIV is mentioned those people immediately pipe up and denounce this game. As they should *IF* nothing has changed. Well those changes have been taking place. Yet they still come to tear down the reboot of XIV. SIGNIFICANT changes have been made in the last two patches, and the future holds even more. It takes a little more than a log in and a look around to experience those changes. A little more than a few solo fights.
to those people i say:
Spend a few days with each patch, join a LS. Do so solo work, fight within a party, try some crafting, do a few of the story line missions, do a few grand company missions.
If you own the game, reinstall/update/what have you. It's still free to play, , I sure that initial purchase of the game hasn't left you dead and hungry as You're still alive and staring at a monitor.

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 9:10AM (Unverified) said

just a little FFXIV excitement =D

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 3:51PM Nenene said

@(Unverified)
SULTANA~

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 10:16AM Madrush said

It's finally starting to feel like a Final Fantasy should feel. The chocobo music pumped me up when I first hopped on one, and the subtle references to "Highwind" in the airship docks is certainly warming. Oh, and materia... MATERIA!!!!

The game is starting to shed the bastardization of a husk it started in. There is certainly a ways to go, but after patch 1.19, I'm convinced that SE is finally ready to get out of their own way and do it right.

For me the fixes to controls and streamlining a lot of the overhead process is what got me back in. With a lot of the minor irritations finally subsiding, its sooooo much easier to follow the lore and story as it plays out in front of you.

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 10:34AM QSpec said

As a semi-interested player who hasn't even tried it out, is it time to give FFxiv a try yet? I was told to wait for this patch. Or, should I wait a tiny bit longer?

Also, I know that FF is a strong PvE series. But, is there any pvp in it?

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 11:02AM Madrush said

@QSpec

At the moment, no, there isn't really much pvp. However, Producer Yoshida is apparently a crazed pvp-aholic so it will be in eventually. He makes reference to a few different pvp modes (open world, coliseum, etc) in the Live Producer letter he just did. Worth watching if you're bored. :)

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 11:39AM Pingles said

@QSpec

I'm jumping in, too. A little concerned about the learning curve but I enjoy that type of stuff.

If it gets too overwhelming I'll go through the Mog Logs to see if any are beginner suggestions.

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 1:09PM Protheus said

Bought the CE when it came out. I literary ran home with the box - at home installing and waited ... waited... and some more and the was ready.

Man what was I disappointed with the game and 70 euro poorer. Now I wanted to burn the whole box and never EVER look at it again - till now...

Problem is that I moved in the mean time like 2 times and no idea where the box is with the installation DVD... so now unable to install the game without the DVD.. now I REALLY want to play this game again to see how good/bad it is again :-(

Shame they do not have the game in download mode