Posted: Oct 7th 2011 8:45PM JoeH42 said

I just wish they'd make the "epic" storyline more Epic and less FedEx. I don't know what they find epic about going to talk to one person after another after another. It might have more of a storyline to it but it's not Epic in the slightest.

Posted: Oct 8th 2011 11:26AM OutThere said

@JoeH42

Some parts are so chatty, I try to find something else to do while the "epic" is being epically boring.

The problem is simple. Politics is not epic. Listening to people's petty squabbles and working out why this bunch hates that bunch and trying to make things better may be too real life. Having the epic struggle of LOTRO reduced to a clone of gang warfare isn't epic either. They did better with Volume 1, particularly Golodir's storyline, and the dwarves tale in Volume 2, although some of the chapters where just snoozers.

I know they are boxed in by their license restraints, but they need to get something going that has some drama and pathos to it.

If they are just looking at how many people have done it and think, ya, that's a success, they should think again. People hate the Epic. We only do it for the reputation rewards, particularly Vol. 3, as it is impossible to get Alraig or Grey Company rep in a reasonable time without doing the Epic quests. Same with Dunland. This doesn't mean people are wildly happy with the Epic. It means we've gritted our teeth to get through it so we don't have to grind dailies. If it weren't for the reputation rewards, I probably would not do it because it is so fricking tedious.

Posted: Oct 7th 2011 8:51PM Nerves said

It really is too bad they released this before it was ready. Nobody expected it to launch in September - as it is, there are a TON of bugs. I don't know of any that are game-breaking, but in some areas, your knowledge of the local bugs dictates your sucess more than how well you play your class. Shame really. Some of the tech is really neat, and the questlines are, as always, very well written.

Posted: Oct 8th 2011 10:33AM Ogged said

The "phasing" is not very impressive. Each time I ride into Galtrev I see Ruthless Tom at the entrance for a second before he vanishes. Considering I evicted him and his buddies a long time ago, that is plain silly.

The "layering" on the the hand drives me crazy. There are so many spots with a lot of "borders" which cause loading screens, it's not fun. Especially when you see a resource, run to it, begin to mine it and halfway through it's *POOF*, loading screen and you stare at a blank spot.

Posted: Oct 8th 2011 11:13AM OutThere said

@Ogged

Yes, very annoying. I had just finished killing a mob when it vanished, taking my XP and loot with it. The client crashes as well at vital times, making the game very unstable.

Posted: Oct 8th 2011 5:34PM JoeH42 said

I totally agree. And you have to do volume 2 to get one of your legendary traits, even if you don't plan to use that trait you still want to have it. And you get the deeds done too, but mostly it's a snoozefest. Altho it can be fun to have the inspiration buff going on :) but mostly I ignore it when I can.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 6:16AM (Unverified) said

they did drop the ball on this i am one of the most avid fans of LOTRO and it's F2P model. My concerns recently were how no one not even these devs are concerned with the UI, every game by now should have dynamic housing, personal story for each character, AOE looting, Instant Messenger style chat, and an infinite space inventory bag for quest items only on every game. What are these people thinking who are making these games, isn't it supposed to be improved upon? and why with such a small area did the LOTRO team NOT employ a SINGLE voice actor? Shouldn't they be looking into doing that as well?

MMO Week in Review: QueueAge