Posted: Oct 6th 2011 2:25PM (Unverified) said

Square Enix is one of the few companies to actively go the other way with it. They encourage different players from around the world to play with one another, and provide an auto translate feature for the FFXI and XIV.

Recently they had a live event in XIV in which a GM appeared and spoke to players in character about the events. When I caught him, he was speaking German, but I was informed others appeared speaking English/French/Japanese/etc. earlier in the week.

Also their localization team is fantastic.

Now there's still still tension and animosity between groups, but I think the risk is definitely worth the reward.

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 3:46PM Seldra said

I only see it being somewhat useful to against goldsellers and illegal rmt groups headquartered in the asian countries.

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 3:50PM Daelda said

@Seldra That is what it was originally intended for, I believe, but aside from not being the solution MMO designers hoped it would be, it created its own set of problems.

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 3:48PM Daelda said

If they weren't trying to prevent server queues and server instability by limiting the quantity of the product sold so that it did not exceed the capacity of their current servers...then why would they be doing it? It would make no sense in any way - economics, marketing, PR, etc. I honestly can't fathom why a company, any company - and especially not a company that has been around for as long as BioWare has been - would do so if it served no actual purpose.

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 4:11PM Ilikesoup said

Yes, but only in the sense that players from Brazil and the Philippines are locked out.

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 4:19PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) i had that problem in LoL once out of all my matches

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 5:50PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) I've only ever come up against people speaking another language once while playing LoL, though I am by no means a veteran player.

Having been a Final Fantasy XI player for years before finally quitting a while back, I've had plenty of good experiences with players who don't speak any English. It all comes down to whether or not the devs put tools at your disposal to compensate like the translation function on FFXI. Even if all you have are canned stock phrases you can piece it together.

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 6:04PM (Unverified) said

Oh hell no. What sort of company would be brain-dead enough to tell their customers, "nope, we don't want your money because you happen to be born in the wrong country"? If I'm going to lag because of my geographical location, that's MY problem.

That said, I was not aware that WoW has region restrictions concerning purchasing a new expansion. Didn't everyone start at the same time with Cataclysm?

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 6:49PM Bezza said

Being based in Australia I find 99% of the time MMO's absolutly fail to recognise that there are more than two regions in the world (US & EU) and as a consaquence Oceanic players regularly get shafted and forced to 'come to terms' with MMO's that do not recognise us as a region requiring any level of support or recognition. On the flip side because there are only a small number of oceanic players (in comparison to US/EU) we dont usually get locked out of either regions and can in most cases choose which one we wish to play in.

Untill recently. That all changed when Bioware decided that Oceanic players can't buy SWTOR via Origen and attempted to block us from purchasing pre-orders. Of course the subsiquent hoohaa about it all has ensured we dont get region blocked, but the shock of having a potential block on us, a primarily english speaking region came as quite a surprise and left the Australasian MMO community reeling. Specially after bioware semt us all emails telling us to hurry and buy the pre-order while stocks last. -epic marketing fail bioware-

No one has ever done that to us and it left most of us feeling decidedly 2nd class. Thus I feel for anyone who gets region locked, I don't agree with it and I feel the practice is uncalled for.

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 11:18PM Koros said

@Daelda

Here's the flaw in your argument.

1 - Australia and New Zealand are English speaking countries and require no specific "Localisation" or language changes to the game.

2 - Due to geography, distance, and time zones, Australia and New Zealand are 15-18 hours ahead of the US, our play times are always in the off-peak period on any US servers. So when I logon in Sydney at 8pm at night, it's 2am in California, and 5am in New York. How are those players clogging up the servers again?

Posted: Oct 7th 2011 12:01AM Graill440 said

Yes. Only english speaking, pork eating countries should be allowed to play SWTOR.

And at least one person in the allowed country must be a pit boss (BBQ)

Posted: Oct 8th 2011 11:34AM (Unverified) said

I hate region locking. I was just in Singapore for six months, and therefor not able to connect to the european realms. Singapore is connected to the NA realms, which also strikes me as a bit odd since Europe is much closer geographically. But nontheless, it sucks in every way to keep players out. In teh end it led me to not resubscribing to WoW for early cataclysm. Blizzard lost me altogether, and now I cba to take back all the lost time. Guild has alrady beaten Ragnaros on HC too.

Posted: Oct 8th 2011 6:30PM henbot said

Greed.

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 3:59PM Sente said

From a consumer perspective there is not really any good coming from it.

For a development studio that has to sign contracts with multiple publishers to get their game distributed and running it may not be all that easy to avoid, since the publishers will probably pretty much decide what they accept or not and what they consider most profitable for them.

A nightmare example was how Chronicles of Spellborn's publisher situation was handled, with 3 different publishers just in Europe at initial launch, and a 4th publisher for US and UK, who were not launching at the same time as the others. A total mess.