Posted: Oct 6th 2011 6:48PM Seffrid said

I agree with the points made by the others.

Also, where's the exciting announcement about the replacements for One Shots that was promised beginning on Monday and which we were going to love? So far just the damp squib of a Leaderboard which no-one much liked.

How about scrapping the Leaderboard and bringing back One Shots, but this time setting it out so that people have to access it and register a hit in order to see it fully? At least give it a fair chance.

Also, you'll get more screenshots (and feedback) sent in if you revamp your system a tad so that communications receive an acknowledgement, even if only automated, so that people actually believe that someone has received their communication rather than at present where I'm clearly not alone in thinking it gets directed straight into Shawn's recycle bin!

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 7:25PM saudrapsmann said

Why not do it like Kotaku? Set up one article for users to submit screenshots for whatever the theme is or game chosen is. Then, two days later turn it into a gallery. New gallery each week. I'd think it didnt do well because it was never more than one picture

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 11:51PM JoeH42 said

@saudrapsmann I 100% agree.

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 7:31PM JohnD212 said

I will say One Shots was really a great thing to watch for. I loved seeing my pictures (which there were quite a lot under the name Johanis). I think you could have easily have put up a quick article just stating that the column would be ended if you don't start to get pictures. I had ZERO idea what time they needed to be to you. I work all day and can only email them when I get home. I hope you rethink this idea...and relaunch One SHots or at least another effort and make it much clearer when submissions must come etc.. I'm surprised how poorly the closing of this way.

I listen to your podcast and while I can appreciate how frustrated you both are but to be honest..we're your clients. If I talked to my clients and made comments like you both make towards us...I'd be out of a job. Rethink One Shots and rethink how you address us...your viewers, your listeners and your clients. It's a tough time to be out of work.

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 7:49PM tooright said

• 1 heart
@JohnD212

Hey Johnr2d2,

Dust yourself off big guy , I heard the podcast as well and they were far from harsh to their audience so reach down there and untwist 'em yourself.

I understand your grieving the loss of the weekly bad screenshot thread but theres no need to get so sensitive about it.

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 7:46PM Shazzie said

I'll join in and say I also liked One Shots. I also almost never clicked through. I also abhor your screenshot gallery system, so that's another click-through barrier.

Another issue is that, while I might enjoy a screenshot, it doesn't tend to provoke discussion or comments, which is another reason against clicking through. Why click through if you can already see it all, and you have nothing to post about with regards to the screenshot?

I also sent in a few shots over time that were never posted. I would have sent in more, but they seldom fit the theme, as I prefer to take screenshots naturally due to seeing something I like, and not feeling like 'ok I need to figure out how to take a shot that fits this theme'. When I already had something I knew would be acceptable, I sent it, but since they were never posted, I also figured you all were drowning in submissions. Now I wonder if you ever received them in the first place.

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 7:54PM tooright said

• Half a heart
It's wasn't the clck-thrus it was the fact that all you people that LOVE the column so much and are so up in arms at it's removal...

Yeah , ya'll sent in ZERO screenshots, they had to supply the screenshots themselves way too much , yes they actually solicited around massively because all you faithful fans who yeah "loved it so much" sent in NOTHING.

Hey guess what , when somthing that relies on submissions doesn't get any submissions it GOES AWAY.

Sorry for your loss but stop acting all butthurt like you cared so much because hey guess what buddy , it's YOUR fault.

Posted: Oct 7th 2011 5:36AM psycros said

@tooright : and you would be completely full of sh1t, as its obvious that One Shot's "failure" was due to poor communication. Are you one of those weirdos that feel compelled to defend the indefensible?

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 7:54PM Utakata said

Here's my issue:

When I put the question and subsequent theories in the last One Shots, I wasn't really complaining. But was inquiring why a such a feature was being removed. Now I have a pretty good idea as to why...I guess it's mostly the fault of us readers for taking the submissions for One Shots granted. Though it would of helped if we got a warning about this before hand, instead of after the fact. Perhaps we could of done something about it being axed ;ike submitting more of our screens.

But tha'ts not my biggest concern. It was Mr. Shuster's rather dismissive remark of "If you ask me, people just like to complain," the very next day this came up in the Leaderboard discussion:

...I found that very disingenuous to us who where curious and/or upset for One Shot's removal. Granted the above quoted explanation in the article from Shawn was much better worded this time, than the backhand we reiceved from him on Monday. But it did come across at the time as more of a dig at us for removing it, as opposed to something more reasonable such as low participation. Just saying.

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 8:38PM Nepentheia said

@Utakata

Yeah, I'm extremely miffed at how this all transpired.

There was never any CLEAR communication with the community that there was a tremendous lack of submissions and that the feature was in jeopardy because of lack of participation. Had Massively actually communicated this issue clearly to their readers, I--along with a number of other folks who have stated as such--would have thus not assumed that Massively was flooded with screenshots and would instead have started submitting screenshots on a regular and consistent basis. (And then there are other comments from folks throughout several threads that they did in fact send in a number of screenshots, but nothing was ever used, which is confounding in itself.)

And yes, Schuster's comment really insulted the entire community.

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 11:32PM Tizmah said

@Utakata Yeah, I was shocked to find that last statement from Shawn. Kind of shows his true colors, but I guess I don't hold it against him at the moment. I think everyone would think that sending in pictures is a popular thing and they got tons of them. Most the time I wouldn't send one in because I thought "Ah, mines not cool enough.." etc. and wouldn't win the battle against other cool pictures.

Now we get Leaderboards, which is another article that only gets people riled up into silly debates, yelling contests, and to see who got thumbed down the most.

At least One Shots was a peaceful place.

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 11:37PM Utakata said

@Nepentheia

You raised some further interesting issues there. Perhaps one of next week's answers in this column should about what happen to all those screens that where submitted and never used for One Shots.

Posted: Oct 7th 2011 9:56AM Yarr said

"And yes, Schuster's comment really insulted the entire community. "

Exactly! And not the first time we've seen, or rather heard on the podcast, similar comments about the Massively community from him.

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 8:18PM (Unverified) said

Honestly, there arent "spots" They can post as many things as they want or as few. If they would just announce that they needed submissions, they wopuld have them. Then they woukd have to take the whole of ONE MINUTE to write a title and post caption, and could spend 4 mins on looking through pics, So 5mins total.

DOnt make it seem like its not possible. You could keep one shots up indefinately and it wouldnt change anything, This is a small-time mmo blogsite, not Channel 4 NBC :LOL

We love massively, but c;mon , dont take yourself so seriously.

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 8:33PM Utakata said

Now, here's my question to Massively:

...something complete unrelated to the topic being discussed, but I've been meaning to ask this for awhile. And never found quite the words of it to get the most desired answer. But I will attempt it tonight (hoping is doesn't get lost in the as for mentioned conversation):

What F2P's would you recommend with the following criteria?

a) it has to be a great and immersive game.
b) it has a healthy character creator with plenty of slots.
c) there's no intrusive pay to win features from its cash shop.
d) conversely there's no spammy cash shop features that reminds you obsessively of their wears every corner you venture.
e) it doesn't feel like your a second rate player because you don't pay.
f) conversly it doesn't feel like you're playing a glorified free trail.
g) nor does feel like you're being nickal and dimed for everything a la Cryptic.
h) it has to have a fairely decent, dynamic and helpful community.
i) did I say it has to be a great and immersive game?

Whew, that's quite the list I know. But here's my thing. I am bouncing between CoX and RIFT since I left WoW. And I'm not sure they'll hold my attentions span indefinitely. It's also gets pricey for having to subs. So I don't want to sub to another game while I await for GW2.

This also comes compounded by the fact that I have demonstrated in my responses to Massively a very big distrust for F2P's, but I like to keep an open mind and least try one.

And keep in mind also, the reason why I don't want to pay...is because I really can't. Without disclosing my financial situations (which is no ones' business), I have no access to a credit card. So that does put me at a disadvantage with MT's even if I have the funds and willing to pay it.

tl,dr: Is there a F2P out there suited to me? :)

Posted: Oct 7th 2011 7:52AM Utakata said

@Utakata

...perhaps my criteria was too high. :(

Posted: Oct 7th 2011 8:36AM Cyclone Jack said

@Utakata

Guild Wars, though you have to buy the box.

Posted: Oct 7th 2011 3:43PM Utakata said

@Cyclone Jack

It doesn't help my case that I already have that game...

...I want moar? :(

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 8:52PM Azaetos said

Seems like I, as many others had thought, that there were tons of submissions for One Shot's. For me, I didn't contribute to it because I believed my pics wouldn't get a run. I actually quite liked checking out the pictures provided.

By the way, it's hard for a community to get behind something if they are unaware that there is a problem.

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 10:10PM augustgrace said

I would frequently see a shot from a game I wasn't familiar with and then check out the game, but as stated several times there wasn't any real need to click through.

I think they should keep One shots around at least as a larger weekly feature. Perhaps present the top 10 pics of the week each Friday, complete with an optional caption or description from the submitter. Doesn't sound like that would take up more than an hour a week, so you could still pursue something new.