Posted: Oct 6th 2011 4:18PM Danteeeee said

The reason it didnt receive "views" is because you put the picture, text and player quote on the opening page. You don't have to open it in a new tab, you don't see anything different. More of a publishing fault IMO. It got 15 times more traffic because all of those people read it from the front page, and wanted to know why you were closing it..

I also just looked through *every* section of the forum and didn't see a post asking for submissions anywhere.. and I visit the forum every day.
There's too much history for me to check the Twitter and Facebook, and unless it was far back I didn't see anything there except the usual "Here's One Shots for this week!" posts.

I had to chip in here because I loved One Shots, and submitted a fair bit to it.

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 4:19PM Danteeeee said

@Danteeeee Should also add that I will miss it, but IF it is replaced with something as good or greater, I can live with the decision.

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 4:50PM mikejr said

@Danteeeee

I agree - I enjoyed the feature as well, and there was no reason to click on the picture or 'link' as the gallery software is horrible. If anything, I may have clicked few times originally to view a larger image, only to find the gallery went to the next picture when clicked...

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 5:57PM Stormwaltz said

@Danteeeee

"The reason it didnt receive "views" is because you put the picture, text and player quote on the opening page. You don't have to open it in a new tab, you don't see anything different."

Yes, this.

"The logs never lie, they just obscure the truth."
-- Mike Kujawa, Asheron's Call 2 system engineer

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 6:06PM Stormwaltz said

@Danteeeee

And as for "where were your submissions over the last four years?" as I said in the comments thread of the final post, I'd sent in several over the years, and they went into a black hole - never posted, never any acknowledgment that I'd sent anything.

While I can't judge them objectively, I find it difficult to believe they were *all* so awful you'd rather have editors take screenshots instead. So I assumed you had a backlog of better stuff, and I stopped sending in submissions.

Bottom line: One Shots suffered from an implementation that actively obscured its own popularity, and - at least in my case - a negative feedback loop that discouraged submissions.

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 6:39PM Eamil said

@Danteeeee

"It got 15 times more traffic because all of those people read it from the front page, and wanted to know why you were closing it.."

Also, because the very last one was a montage so it actually DID have content past the cut.

Posted: Oct 9th 2011 9:09AM Riggs said

@Danteeeee

I wish there was a "Report this post for being 100% exactly spot on!!!"
My thoughts exactly Danteeeeee...

Also, this just cracks me up "And we have to occasionally decide that something needs to get moved because we would rather fill that space up with something that's more interesting to our readers than something that's less interesting."

It is web publishing for crying out loud...there are no space limitations...that is the beauty and advantage that hyperlinks and HTTP have over old school publishing...oftentimes we try to pigeonhole archaic thought process patterns from old systems into new systems/technologies...just cracks me up :)

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 10:21AM Majicebe said

@Danteeeee

That was my thought exactly. I almost never opened up the one-shots because you can clearly see the picture every time it was posted right on the home page. It's one of those that I always liked to see, but unless I couldn't really make out the picture, there was literally no reason to open it. I would've been much more likely to click on it had it just been a miniscule thumb-nail, and then also much larger when fully opened.

Anyways, I honestly had no idea they were hurting for entries. The primary reason I never submitted was because I figured they got like thousands a week and didn't want to spend time getting some together to submit when I thought it'd be like 1 of 3000 and just never get picked.

Well, I guess I wish I'd known they needed entries more -- I liked the little column, and since I'm sort of a RIFT screencap junkie, I'd have been more than willing to submit.

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 4:18PM Carolina said

I have sent pictures sometimes, and they got into the feature quite often. It was fun, it made me go through the many screenshots I take. I wonder if it could perhaps be turned into a weekly feature? And then instead of frontpage, the pictures would be past the cut, to check if people are really interested on it.

No idea on themes... ok ok I am cruel and had an idea. Writer of the column would be given 3 of the pictures sent and have to make a short story with them :D

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 4:29PM Pingles said

I remember being so surprised and excited to see my screenshot of Allods being picked!

Little did I know that it was likely mine was the only shot submitted that week. Ha!

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 4:30PM Ocho said

Does it have anything to do with Google Reader or other RSS aggregators? For the most part, using Google Reader, I was able to see the screenshot and enjoy it, but didn't have to click on the link. Only rarely did I ever click on it, but I saw every single screenshot.

As for participation... well... I did my part (so much so that I have a 'tag' as Ocho and Ocholivis to show the 6 submission you posted).

In any case, it was a fun column, sad to see it go, but its understandable why. Thank you for posting my shots. :)

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 4:39PM (Unverified) said

There were a few times that I said "Hey, nice picture. I should check out that game." But your decision is correct. Better off for the largest number of people if you devote available space and personnel resources to something else.

In my opinion, of course. There will be a few who disagree. But not many, I suspect.

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 5:11PM (Unverified) said

I wonder if some of the recent decline is "art imitating life" so to speak. I know personally, I had no shots to contribute because I haven't been playing MMOs regularly for a few months. I stopped WoW back in February, only played Rift for a few months, and haven't stuck with any other MMO long enough to have those screen shot moments.
Some of the screen shots I submitted were taken long ago about a game that I no longer play, so it was a bit weird to submit them. You may find you want to revisit this option, if not on a daily basis, as a sometime feature once some of the new hottness MMOs come out.

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 5:17PM Makovorn said

I loved the feature too and I'm very sad to see it go. I come to Massively every day, several times of the day so I hardly miss anything on the front page. The front page is where I usually spotted the one-shots caps and sometimes I'd click on the picture to get a better view, but not always.

Like Danteeeee said, that probably was why the page itself didn't get lots of hits. Also, One Shots to me was a very special feature for Massively and I guess it's one of those things where you really, really miss it so much more when it's gone.

Anyhow, if the decision is final, it's final ... nothing much we can do about it but hope that you'd reconsider. I'm all for coming up with new fresh ideas and loosing some old ones but ... One Shots was not the one that should have gotten axe.

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 5:17PM (Unverified) said

@Ren54 Wow, there really isn't anything you can't turn into a post about Rift and/or ToR

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 5:17PM pancho72 said

I also thought one-shots was a fun little feature, but never saw much reason to click on it, since I can just see it on the front page.
It's probably true that it doesn't invite much community interaction, but that doesn't necessarily make it a poor feature. For my part it has created a lot of good memories and curiosity over the years.

Of course if you didn't receive enough submissions to keep it going, it makes sense to close it down.

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 5:28PM Equillian said

I'd really rather see you get rid of the Hyper-Low-Budget coverage and the "Not So Massively" column. Nothing against the author but, we're cancelling MMORPG articles to post on junk and irrelevant games?

The Above readers are right. One Shots didn't get the hits cause no one had a reason to click. I bet Not-So-Massively gets the hits because bored people (like myself) click going "What IS this junk?"

It's possible I've just become jaded but an MMO site that doesnt report on MMOs is kinda... weird. I suppose like all things, too much is too much. Maybe I've been on massively too long and need to find a new site.

(intentionally not checked for spelling or grammar)

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 6:00PM ZorClone said

dang.. if I'd known yall needed submissions, I could have sent HUNDREDS of pics from WoW, SWG, and STO. Hell I prolly still have some screens from Neocron somewhere.

I have enough "good" screenshots to run One Shots for many months single-handedly if you are willing to just see those few games, lol.

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 6:08PM Caerus said

OK, I've tossed this around in my head for a few minutes, and I can't think of a way to say this without coming across at least a little like a jerk so I'll just say it.

"Most weeks, we'd have one image submitted for seven days."

This is a crock. I submitted 2-3 screenshots a week for almost 4 months in a row - mostly from LotRO and Rift. Every one of them was properly formatted/on-theme and IMHO a great screenshot that I genuinely wanted to share.

Not once did *anything* I sent in get selected, so don't even try and say it was because of a lack of submissions. Maybe if you guys posted the screenshots people submitted, you wouldn't have problems.

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 6:13PM Caerus said

@Caerus

Stupid comment system, to continue:

If you want to say it wasn't producing the community comments and pageviews that the amount of work involved required, fine. I accept that combing through screenshots might take a while. Just don't say it's lack of submissions.

I alone have sent in enough (beautiful) screenshots of WoW, Rift, LotRO, AoC, CO, and STO to fill weeks of One Shots, but gave up because I felt unappreciated that nothing I submitted was ever posted.

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014