Posted: Oct 5th 2011 8:11AM Rhodanum said

As far as goals go, I want to continue gathering points for the Hall of Monuments in Guild Wars 1 (for those who don't know, said points transfer over to Guild Wars 2 and offer in-game vanity items, pets and character titles). I'm at a measly eight right now and that simply will not do.

Also,I want to mess around with FFXIV's crafting system some more and see if I can get the hang of it, now that 1.19 has finally deigned to hit the servers (downloading as we speak, at an atrocious speed XD).

Aside for that, I don't have much in the way of goals. I get burned out easily when I plow too fast through MMO content, so I'm taking it easy and playing when I have the time/am in the mood.

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 8:16AM Koontzinator said

Working on a backup plan for TOR, gotta decide between Rift, Aion, and Fallen Earth. Of course, that's all out the window when BF3 comes out...

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 10:04AM real65rcncom said

@Koontzinator

Everything old is out the window for me now. Rift was the last chance this year but that fizzles at endgame into the usual muck, so I'm on a mmo break until SWTOR in December because there aren't any other new ones to try until then.

Consoles on the other hand, are positively STUPID with the amount of diverse, fresh and new titles coming out (as well as anticipated sequels like BF3 and GoW3).

I've been waiting for a stretch to try some console games out and thanks to the dud RIFT was for me, I've got three months to delve into those games and be "mmo fresh" in late December for TOR.

No way I'm going to spend three months rehashing content in a 'new mmo' nor rehashing it in old ones. I've seen all the zones in these games, all the races, most of the quests and just about all of the dungeons. One or two new ones isn't going to make a difference at this point so consoles ahoy!

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 8:17AM (Unverified) said

no games till next year.... /pouts..... kicks a can.....

Hate all this planned marketing crap, you know some games are finished, but are purposely being held to launch head to head with others. Says alot about their planned quality. Here's what they don't know, MMO players know quality and won't screw around with to many games. Word will spread what's good, what people are playing, and the losers will disappear in the dust.

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 10:28AM Irem said

@(Unverified)
Out of curiosity, which games do you think are being "held"?

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 1:31PM (Unverified) said

@Irem
Tera and Secret World did, I've lost track of the games.... think Archtype is getting pushed back, Planetside 2. I'm missing a big one or two. GW2 at one point hinted at release this year I thought.

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 1:57PM Eamil said

@(Unverified)

The most that's been said about GW2 is "beta before the end of the year" as far as I know.

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 8:20AM MMOaddict said

So wish I could talk about TOR. Stupid NDAs. Ah well. Anyway, I plan to play a ton of Lotro, FFXIV, and EQ2's new expansion in November while I wait till next year for GW2.

Notice what I "didn't" say.

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 9:19AM chuckasucka said

@MMOaddict Same here. Wish I could open my mouth about some certain awful game.

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 10:17AM DarkWalker said

@MMOaddict

Interesting.

Originally it was not that I gave up on TOR; instead, TOR gave up on me by refusing to sell digital copies to my country (I'm not going to pay $123 in taxes plus shipping, plus the $60 for the game itself, just to get a Standard Version box).

Lucky for me, though. From reading most official and unofficial information sources about the game, seems like BioWare copied most things I don't like about WoW, and didn't copy the things I actually wanted them to copy. The way it's shaping up, for me at least, seems like it's going to be a polished WoW clone with obsolete game systems, whose main redeeming quality would be a watered down story where there's no way to ever make a truly important decision (due to the fact BioWare both don't want players to be able to gimp themselves, and is completely set on not allowing players to undo their choices).

End result, I went from a hype-fueled "must buy it ASAP" mood to a "I won't purchase it at first, might take a look after the first few big patches" mood.

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 10:56AM Lucidus said

@MMOaddict Agreed. I'll be racking up Turbine Points in LOTRO until GW2 comes out.

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 10:59AM Lucidus said

@DarkWalker "seems like it's going to be a polished WoW clone with obsolete game systems, whose main redeeming quality would be a watered down story"

I can't confirm or deny this, but this is a really good sentence.

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 12:37PM Tizmah said

• 1 heart
@MMOaddict We here this crap every MMO launch. Anything you have to say isn't really going to surprise us. So don't think you have some big secret. Lots of sites already have leaked information so I'm sure anything you have to spill isn't anything special. Just keep playing LOTRO, FFXIV, and EQII, which all had plenty of negative reactions at their times.

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 8:21AM FrostPaw said

Play TOR...thats about all really. Haven't bought an mmo this year, been relying on single player games and an occasionaly free to play mmo but I'm saving myself!

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 8:30AM Makovorn said

Right now, I'm working on getting my 200 Zaishen keys for that coveted HOM PvP statue (3 points) xD

I'm also planning my new PC build so that it will be ready for SW:ToR and of course Guild Wars 2 (hopefully, GW2 will arrive sooner rather than later). It's a total overkill system for an MMO, but I want nothing but the best to enjoy Daniel, Kekai and the rest of ArenaNet's art team's tremendous work with Guild Wars 2.

I've scratched playing LotRo's new expansion off my list of to-do's ... I just can't handle how sticky and clunky LotRo plays when connecting from South Africa to Turbine's servers abroad (compared to other MMO's).

I am contemplating on playing Age of Conan again. I haven't touched it since 2008, so I'm rather curious! :)

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 9:38AM elliotrock said

@Makovorn

Lag lag, same here in Australia. I can't play AoC because of the lag, LoTR is passable.

I have to say Not much is really tickling me at all. Maybe GW2 for PvP. ToR sounds crap and it has a subscription (I don't prepay for crap).

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 8:30AM smartstep said

NOTHING.

Seriously I am not playing any MMORPG atm. Why? Many went freemium and after I've tried this model for few months It really does not 'kick in' for me and I cannot stand it.

P2P games? Aion - has much too big item store for p2p game for me to play it sorry.
WoW - game changed so much since Vanilla that It became kind of game I am not interested anuymore.
Rift - polished and good , caring developer , but beign gear grind , instances / raiding type of game like WoW , not interested as not my cup of tea
EVE - played in past , but playing 'spaceship' is ultimatelly not my thing. + they sell practically ISK for $ and I really don't agree with that :/

EQ2? - Imho SOE will want to transform live servers into freemium EQ2X type soon , and I really don't want to play freemium , so passing

Might try FFXIV maybe , thou not sure if my pc will be able to handle it

Apart of that. Just waiting for ArcheAge and Guildwars 2.

Sad part is less and less mmorpg's have type of gameplay and even more importantly business model(not accepting freemium/f2p) that I can stomach.

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 10:35AM DarkWalker said

@smartstep

You might get cornered sooner rather than later. Plenty of analysts think, after the advent of the F2P model, that the P2P market is already saturated, or will be after TOR releases. And, with the amount of big MMOs making the switch, chances are any new MMO will either be F2P from launch, or switch quite early.

There's a strong rumor that ArcheAge will be F2P, at least in the Asian markets, BTW. Though there is no solid information about the business model yet.

Even games like GW2 and Diablo 3 are, in some aspects, almost as much "freemium" as LotRO - players pay an entrance fee and can stay for free ever after, and they should have fairly extensive in-game shops with cosmetic options.

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 11:22AM smartstep said

@DarkWalker

I am aware of that. If it comes to that , well then I will just stop playing. Simple.

As for Diablo 3 , this is not mmorpg , so It does not belong to discussion imho.

GW2 - just buying it as a side game, and to experience B2P model and because ppl I know that played GW1 said that it has very limited IS. Anyway GW2 alone won't keep me playing mmoprg's. I am just buying it as side-game / out of curiosity. Don't have big plans for it.

Well I cannot stand item shops ,I really can't. Played Lotro as P2P , then for many months after switch to freemium , could not handle it (I was VIP) , item shop ruin my fun and willingness to play.

If it comes to worst I will stop playing mmorpg's , and will just spend more of my leisure time doing something else.

Btw. Indie low-budget p2p games , won't do. I am too old to play a game which is bugged , in beta-like state for years ,etc - even though I admire those devs for trying , I am too old to keep with it. I want game that is working and polished , but at same time not streamlined/easy-mode to death and is p2p.

Well maybe there won't be game like that again. Oh well. Happens.

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 11:31AM smartstep said

@DarkWalker

As for ArcheAge. Yeah I am following this game , and I know business model is TBA.
It seems like fairy complex game , with sandbox elements.
Well if it go f2p or freemium ,etc then I won't play it.
Kinda defeat the purpose for me.

I know many people are not like that, but for me if I have choice:
Play f2p/freemium/p2p with big item shop vs not play at all