Posted: Oct 8th 2011 2:27PM Mikx said

Some belated advice for Jessica: I leveled 2 characters to 80 in WoW before I really started any dungeons aside from a pity run through Ragefire or Deadmines or something.

They're not as bad as you think, and in a game like wow, you can overlevel content. a high level character can walk through any vanilla dungeon, and certain tanky characters, hybrids and hunters have an even easier time. This way you can experience dungeon content, mobs, and maps by yourself, and you won't be so intimidated. I did that, and had a blast doing the dungeons at their intended level as i played other alts.

you can also do this in many games by just getting in a group for a dungeon just a few levels below you. If you're max level in a game like wow, get in a group (preferably as a dps, for less initial frustration) for an early cataclysm dungeon. You'll be a little overpowered compared to the dungeon requirements, which will make up for your inexperience, and you'll be able to get a group experience too. I assume that will work in Rift as well.

Also, a big part of the hurdle in getting into pvp battlegrounds or dungeons is learning the map. many games have ingame tools to look at, and I dont think there is a game out there that doesnt have some sort of wiki or fan site with dungeon maps, and the dungeon-raid guides will provide information on encounters/mobs as well.

PVP battlegrounds are also a better option for people than straight up arena or anything. Battlegrounds are friendlier to casuals, if only because its easier to get lost in the crowd ;)

Posted: Oct 8th 2011 4:21PM peyo01 said

Hello Rubi, Hello Shawn,

First of all, I want to thank you for this podcast I have been listening for a few weeks now. I really enjoy earing about your gaming whereabouts as well as your opinions on MMOs. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the MMO games we love (and sometimes hate but isn't hate just borderline love ?). One can really feel that not only are you very professional but also very passionate about MMOs and video games and it is what makes Massively Speaking interesting and fun.

I wanted to react about the ranting part of today's podcast and what Shawn said about most people gathering as a community for the kill rather than for the support. Call me pessimistic but I see it everyday everywhere, people criticizing rather than comforting or encouraging others. Being French, I may be biased (;-)) about that as we are worldwide known as the best ranters ever (haven't you heard of us always complaining and dragging feet ?). Anyway, I do not think it is our own special thing. I'd rather think it is written somewhere in human nature. To use a SWTOR analogy, the dark side is easier than the bright one. Criticism is simpler than working to build something, and far much simpler than following to grow and expand what have been built. People would rather (is it my favourite word or what ? I have the feeling to use it quite often) say mean things about others than congratulate them for their success. Maybe these are some remnants of our animal mind, back in time when survival was a matter of strength and violence rather (again ?) than of talking.

Internet anonymity, as Rubi mentioned, has also the strange power of transforming people, just like the anonymity of driving a car can transform a quiet person into an angry beast within a few seconds, especially in slow traffic.

So do not let the critical posts discourage you. Rubi explained all the efforts she made to try and revive the One Shot column. But there is a moment when you have to stop the CPR and call it. I liked the column too but I did not find (or should I say never took) the time to send screenshots, even if I have many of them in my computer folders. My bad.

Keep on the good work. What Shawn said about the lack of commitment of our gamer community in Massively has made me realize that I have been reading the web site for a few months now and only contributed once to the comments and discussions. I will try and contribute more as it is how this website I appreciate will stay alive for long.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 10:19PM Vazzaroth said

You know I never thought about it, but I think I love Massively because it ignores World of Warcraft so much. I hate reading other sites and the make huge deals about a Warcraft patch (Bigger deals than any other game) when I just don't care one bit.

Posted: Oct 11th 2011 10:40PM Vazzaroth said

The entire time you were discussing One Shots, I'm surprised you didn't mention that it's basically the only feature where you can see the entire content browsing the news feed. I always checked out One Shots (Even submitted my pony in LOTRO for mount week, and wasn't featured T__T) but I think I clicked on the link maybe once? I do have to say, I assumed you were flooded with screens so I figured mine would never be featured...

BTW, bug AOL to add an edit feature to comments or something...

One Shots: Ignore physics and jump already!

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 10:00AM