Posted: Oct 5th 2011 7:44PM smartstep said

Well come on it is Crytpic + PWE , so what do you expect?

Won't be first time there is a game made on good IP , but beign trashy.

Will be just another f2p button masher instanced to death. Well there are people who enjoy this kind of game and more power to them !

I am staying away though...

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 7:45PM (Unverified) said

It was always surmised and never brought down on the forums that it would be a 'hub styled' game rather than an open world game.

There is talk it will have the foundry system like STO though, so folks can make their own content for others to run through.

D&D isn't a game about open worlds as much as it is about small bits of adventure in sessions. DDO captured this and ran with it but with the Eberron setting it never got the fan base it could've had. This game will feature all the old school Faerun/Neverwinter goodness plus a dose of free to play which I think will make it a niche game for a certain set of folks.

The folks playing this won't be the hard core WoW/Lotro/EQ2 crowd but more likely those who love RPGs and want to play with a smaller group of friends without the feeling of competition that the open world games bring.

I hope it does well since it has been said that Atari short-changed Cryptic a lot with financing of it's MMOs. PWE might be just the thing that Cryptic needed to make them a full on triple A company that they could be.

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 11:01PM psycros said

@(Unverified): that might be true if PW wasn't a half-baked developer themselves. Their stuff is anime rubbish that feels like a bad console port. Crap + crap doesn't usually equal quality.

Posted: Oct 6th 2011 12:09AM (Unverified) said

@psycros

I didn't find PWE games to be bad, just that they were Asian grinders like a lot of things from Asia that are F2P. Their games at least run well and look nice so if Cryptic can add the Western influence and the D&D component then it might end up surprising a lot of folks.

It has been confirmed that there will be the foundry in this game, so even if you don't like the standard dungeons that come with the game then there might be some good player created ones.

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 7:49PM Destati said

"The developer will be charging money for consumables"

An item that prevents your +11 weapon from breaking while fortifying it with a 20% chance of success to +12 can be considered a "consumable"

I hope they won't do that.

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 7:51PM (Unverified) said

I'm very cautious about this game. I have a feeling it's going to be disappointing... but we'll see.

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 7:56PM Thrishmal said

Yes, because the Neverwinter franchise just screams action game...

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 8:07PM (Unverified) said

Sounds pretty awesome really. There is DDO for those who like the wow-esk tab/hotbar combat, and this for those of us who like action based combat. Don't get all the emo raging here. The more options for us gamers, the better. Can't wait to get some more info on this game, such as the races and what not. Hopefully Tieflings, among others.

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 8:16PM Irem said

@(Unverified)
Tieflings would probably get me to buy it alone. I'm extremely predictable where tieflings are concerned.

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 9:08PM Randomessa said

@(Unverified)

Except DDO is NOT taskbar, WoW-esque combat, but clicky-to-hit with shift-to-block combat. Anybody going into DDO trying to play it the way they would WoW is going to run out of rezzes before they finish their first dungeon.

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 9:10PM mechanicalturk said

@(Unverified) I think you need to take another look at DDO's combat mechanics. It can be very action oriented with a hack and slash feel. Positioning and movement matter. This includes rolling, dodging, and jumping. Not explicit target aiming, but definitely more visceral than the combat found in WoW.

If the action combat is at least as good as DDO's, I'll definitely give Neverwinter a go before passing judgement. I've never been a fan of Eberron as a setting, but I do like most of what DDO offers. Making the game in a Neverwinter setting is huge plus in my book.

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 7:02AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) Umm...so DDO is not actiony enough for you? Why don't you just play a shooter instead??

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 8:12PM ephesym said

Well it will use 4e rules, which are just bad. I have zero faith that PWE will let a good game actually be made, not even taking in account that Cryptic hasnt made a good game yet.

Scratch this one off the list I suppose

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 8:20PM DancingCow said

Isn't this old news?

I recalled this being one of the first announcements to come after PWI acquired Cryptic.

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 5:08AM (Unverified) said

@DancingCow Yeah, its been on the forum for ages...

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 8:26PM Vorender said

Let's be honest, this game was dead before it even started. Hack n' Slash game derived from a pen and paper, turn based dice roll game. Yagoodluck Cryptic.

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 11:33PM Bladerunner83 said

@Vorender

I have a feeling it's going to be exactly like BG: Dark Alliance for PS2. Just a simple hack and slash. And with the acquisition by Perfect crap, you might as well forget the unique elements of D&D, like being a dungeon master, and the creation of custom adventures through creative thinking." The original Neverwinter allowed players to create their own encounters. I can assume Cryptic will not follow this trend, due to the previous quality of games.

They will pump out some theme park style, quick and cheap, then throw a slew of mobs at you. No concept of role-playing there, just a bunch of repetitive killing. D&D is not an action style game like Vindictus, it has action, but D&D is a game of puzzles, traps, riddles, adventure, role-playing, and complicated combat.

I look at Vindictus combat and I laugh, because I wonder how a caster is supposed to cast in Neverwinter (if they are "reorienting the game's design to make it a true MMO in the style of Vindictus"), when in traditional D&D, casters have to sleep to store a small number of spells (spells usage was critical in PnP D&D). Action means fireball spam fest, no concept of traditional D&D. I'm appalled and this project will surely besmirch pen and paper D&D (look at how they handled the Star Trek franchise).

Only one game has successfully recreated the pen and paper D&D, and that game was Baldur's Gate; To bad these dumb ass companies ignore the players and continue to dig for gold in our pockets.

Posted: Oct 10th 2011 7:04AM (Unverified) said

@Vorender Well, look at DDO....for some reason there is a lot of people playing it....

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 8:41PM Makanii said

I find it really odd how most of these commenters don't know the difference between an MMO and an MMORPG. Vindticus and Rusty Hearts are true MMOs by definition. They may not be MMORPGs, but they are definitely MMOs.

Posted: Oct 5th 2011 8:42PM xBludx said