Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 9:05PM Laephis said

@smartstep

Excuse me, but who are you to decide that "grotesque / ridiculous" should be excluded? How does one determine what falls into that broad category? What criteria are used?

And more importantly, of what concern is another player's character to you? If someone chooses to fashion an avatar you deem "ugly", how does that affect your gameplay?

One person's "grotesque" is another person's "creativity", and I see no reason to limit our character options. The sea of character clones in most MMOs these days is discouraging enough without people clamoring to enforce some kind of "beauty code."

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 9:37PM h4ngedm4n said

@Laephis
Seconded. I for one enjoy making grotesque characters to add to the variety. In the fantasy world, pretty characters are the norm and boring; grotesque and ugly characters are unique and memorable:)

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 9:03AM BigAndShiny said

I hate champions online character creation. It takes like a half hour just to make someone who isn't a deformed mutant and who looks normal, rather than grotesque.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 9:21AM Scuffles said

No you can never have too many options at character creation, assuming of course your game has been optimized so loading huge numbers of customized characters on screen in game doesn't bog everything down.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 9:23AM SiML said

Better too many you don't have to use - than too few you feel you need.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 9:40AM chuckasucka said

So long as you have good options, I think the more the merrier. For instance, I don't really care about nose length and eye breadth as much as I care about fur pattern and horn designs, or any other non-human features. But I also should say that I do like to be able to make a human character that is less than perfect. I don't see the appeal in having all of my characters be ken and barbie dolls. I like a normal looking person with flaws. As far as Aion went, I did make some monstrosities for fun, but in the end I tried to make a reaistic looking character when I played. I WoW and GW, I was very disappointed. I'm trying to think of which game had the ideal character creator.... dunno. Hopefully GW2 will strike a good balance. I am pretty pleased with the variation in how you can make the Sylvari look, for instance.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 9:43AM Bladerunner83 said

More options, more customization, more enjoyment. The more the merrier.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 9:43AM (Unverified) said

Nope, you can't. Then again I have found myself on way to many times logging in and just making a character for a way long time. :)

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 9:44AM (Unverified) said

I approve and strongly encourage all forms of customization "BESIDES" a height slider where you can make yourself either freakishly tall or small.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 9:50AM real65rcncom said

• 1 heart
Yes it's possible. Some games put too much into the things like that and neglect key gameplay and content.

They spend all their time on stupid things like that, and then have to rehash the same dungeons in "expert" mode then "master professional mode" because they put time developing the wrong stuff.

I'd rather have poor customization with lots of interesting and fresh content than good customization with lots of rehashs and rewarmed content.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 4:41PM Sente said

@real65rcncom You are comparing apples and oranges, to a large extent it would not be the same people working on character options and dungeon content.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 9:54AM Lycaniz said

I am quite insulted that you can have such a question for debate and not mention APB!

when you get so many options, as in that game, customisation are part of the core gameplay, and in that case, no, you can never get enough!

however, for the typical MMO, like aion, i dont need all the options, games like World of Warcraft, got an excellent startout point and i do not need more than there is there, unless, ofcourse, its a game like APB.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 9:56AM Valentina said

Ya you can have too many options, Aion is too many ridiculous things, like making your head look like a hot air balloon, although it was funny at the time I'd never want that in a MMORPG that has a storyline or any sort of immersive nature.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 10:08AM paterah said

You can never have too many options, case in point: Aion. You can literally create your own race and that is awesome.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 10:16AM FrostPaw said

Sometimes I think sliders are no good. The problem with sliders is you have two extremes that most people won't use because it looks unatural or ridiculous. So everyone using the slider stays around the middle area. Which defeats the point of variation when most people stay with 25% of each other.

The other issue with sliders is you are taking your chances that the variable width of your cheekbones, size of your chest or shoulders etc won't clip through your favurite gear. With defined body or texture swaps the programmers already know precise dimensions of each option and so clipping shouldn't be a problem.

I always remember getting my look just right in games like EQ2, Dragon Age etc only to end up with my hairstyle or face/neck sticking through my armour or helmet/hood completely ruining my appearence and forcing me to either go back and reroll or not wear certain items.

As to the question can there be too many options, I think yes, it really depends what the options are. Nobody really needs 30 sliders just for their nose but 30 different body parts sure thats fine.The context of the options is important when it comes to having too many.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 10:17AM Leandra said

Yes and no.

I loved Aion's character creation system -- I feel that most other MMOs don't give you nearly enough choice in how to design your character.

However, I do think they need to put some limits on how much you can change the size of the body parts. There are a lot of freakishly tiny or giant-headed or grotesquely proportioned characters in Aion, and that really broke immersion.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 10:21AM Tizmah said

• 1 heart
Yes, Aion is a perfect example. Vanguard was as well when it first released. You can make some of the stupidest characters in these games. I can't stand to play Aion because of this.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 10:25AM HiroProtagonist7 said

I spend an inordinate time in character creators experimenting and tweaking.

My question is - can anyone even see what other characters faces look like? For example - with floaty names turned off would you recognize a, elven rogue friend standing amongst 3 other Elven Rogues?

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 10:33AM dudes said

I vote for extra booby shape controllers.

Posted: Oct 2nd 2011 10:41AM Bramen said

No, But if you are choosing options that will never be seen in the game, then yes. Squint lines on eyes that you are never going to see is a bit absurd. However if that character is going to get a close up in a cut scene then it is cool. Instead of giving me more options for characters parts that will never be seen give me more choices for parts that will be seen.